Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, polybear said:

Tread carefully - I do believe our Great Leader (Andy Y) was a store manager(?) for a certain purveyor of flat-pack furniture.......

Personally, this Little Bear has MFI Wardrobe Systems (very carefully assembled and screwed to the wall) in two bedrooms, the oldest of which must be 25+ years old and looking just fine :)

Whereas I unfortunately bought one of their bookshelves and.. and... and... put books on it.

It collapsed shortly after...

When I and many many other complained, MFIs answer was it was for display purposes only, the bookshelf unit was not for putting books on.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am now wondering what to do with all the space that's vacant in the wardrobe now the books have gone.

Fill it, quick - before someone else does.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Have to go to the office today for a team meeting. 2m spacing shall be employed, but with 15 or so people that might be difficult.  Apparently  team members in Cwmbran  and Greece don't have to attend in person...

This will be followed by a blood donation session ( not connected ) this afternoon.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

You've finally got somewhere  to hide all your unbuilt kits that Nyda doesn't know about.

Jamie

Although my dearly beloved might not be quite up to speed at the amount of stock I have, she is well aware of the  value.

This was discussed many years ago as I have no intention of my motley collection being sold for a pittance after I dive into the muddy hollow for the last time, then choke and croak  from a surfeit of cake, cider ,whisky and a decent bratwurst.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Ah, bratwurst (with an umlaut). Happy memories of a bratty and chips from the local bratty wagon when we lived in Germany - providing I managed to get the attention of the lady who served that I did not want mayonnaise on the chips. Eventually she got to recognise me and would smile and say, "Ja, keine mayo mein herr," as she prepared my order. But I did like it with the mild (American?) mustard.

Since today's weather forecast  seems to indicate that it will be the only decent day for the foreseeable future we are off to Norbury Junction on the Shropshire canal and thence on a nice walk, taking a packet of bacon sarnies and a flask of coffee for sustenance. Must go now to make the sarnies.

Have a good day everyone.

Dave

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Happy memories of a bratty and chips from the local bratty wagon

When I arrived at RAF Gutersloh in January 1983, the combination of beer at circa 30p a pint, a 50yd walk to work instead of a 5 mile cycle and brattie and chips with extra mayo on the walk back to my room every night led to me putting on 2 stone in 2 months.........

...loved it!

Angus

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Stopped at an Aberdeen sandwich bar many years ago.

Each customer in front of me was asked the same question - 'butter or meanies ?'

As it got closer to my turn, I was starting to panic - what is meanies???

Turns out it was mayonnaise , just with a strong accent .

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

Mock ye not! We bought an MFI fitted kitchen almost 25 years ago, fitted by their sub contractor. At that  time they had two ranges, the flat packed carcass and a sturdy pre-assembled version. We bought the latter in a deal that included Bosch appliances,

Still going strong and looking good today!

Dave

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Stopped at an Aberdeen sandwich bar many years ago.

Each customer in front of me was asked the same question - 'butter or meanies ?'

As it got closer to my turn, I was starting to panic - what is meanies???

Turns out it was mayonnaise , just with a strong accent .

wa' that on yeah Rowie?

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Danemouth said:

Mock ye not! We bought an MFI fitted kitchen almost 25 years ago, fitted by their sub contractor. At that  time they had two ranges, the flat packed carcass and a sturdy pre-assembled version. We bought the latter in a deal that included Bosch appliances,

Still going strong and looking good today!

Dave

Knowing your self confessed inability to wield a hammer or a big electric drill, I'd suggest that it was a wise choice.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Whilst DH (hang  on a minute there are to DH's contributing to this thread) , the chairman of the Midland Railway Society as opposed to the other DH aka Mr Fixit Wales 1992, was enjoying bacon and coffee whilst perambulating along the banks of the canal, I have been shifting weeds from the veg patch to the green waste bin.

The clay soil after a few days of rain has turned to a rather sticky form of mud.

I also want to know why small stones are able to jump with as much energy as a hungry flea from the ground into my wellington boots.

The better news Is I removed the last of the potatoes from their bed:  The variety Kestrel, is a second early, and is well worth getting if you are into growing your own.  Of course, I then had to wash them prior to going in the spud cupboard.  For information, this cupboard was not a display model from MFI!

I shall now have a quick shower prior to creating something with  the two Salmon fillets that are sitting in the fridge.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I went out to the garage and found that one corner of the floor was damp. I was a bit concerned at first as it was under the main stop cock and the water softener. They both seemed to be dusty and covered in cobwebs so I suspected they were not leaking. Eventually I concluded that the hose had just emptied after I left it on the floor. 
After moving a few things I found a model railway layout...

3E408085-E863-45C5-9446-61D4E8D15279.jpeg.8f0ef697d3bf3cd2791136448a5222cf.jpeg

230FD1B4-3A6A-4E88-BFBB-C8A9C9547E1C.jpeg.c47d59db7307254bfb08bd1d1271d494.jpeg95FDD02E-AA9D-4E30-B2F7-3B6802B9B64E.jpeg.1bcb8da00e980263bb1e5b1236273079.jpeg

Probably not the right kind of “Midland”, though the bus is a nice red!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

There was always a certain type of elegance with the Blue Pullman sets, although I seem to recall my father was not impressed with the Cardiff to London variety. I suspect the BBC made him travel second class!

I remember getting a ride on one between Newport and Cardiff.  I had to pay a supplementary fare for the privilege:  I think it was something like 10p!

Still being a young oik, In  retrospect would have preferred to have come back behind a Western (Class 52).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, bbishop said:

This thread is getting wurst.  Sie ist eine Wurst, zwei Würste, usw.  And the mustard is Senf.

Bill

Dutch sausages really are the worst ...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Today has started nice and sunny, albeit with a stiff breeze.

It will however enable me to get my entire wood collection out of the garage and onto the drive where it can be sorted out.

for some years now, bits of timber have been collected and stored by the simple expedient of just putting them in piles up in the rafters.

There's quite a bit of mahogany  up there from hardwood window frames and door steps as well as the remains of a set of drawers from a draughtsman's cabinet which I think is cherry.  The rest is various bits of garden furniture which is probably Sapele and of course the various softwoods beloved of the DIY sheds.  this reanges from quite well matures planed strip to the more modern and trendy twisted and warped which usually come in packs of six and are straight until you undo the bundle.

Then there's floorboards, plywood and spare T&G boarding for the sheds.

Perhaps I should open a small shop!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Well the plan to get all the timber out and get is sorted stumbled when within minutes of getting the drive clear, in rolled the clouds and the rain started.

I'll have to go and see what other havoc I can wreak in the workshop.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

A Mentor of mine, was one Malcolm Rowe, sadly, now deceased, and a 3rd generation steelworker from East Moors Cardiff. His favourite phrase was "I've got it in stock". Mac was an irreverent hoarder, but far from keeping stuff, he was wont to also give it away. A conversation with 'Mac'   would see him producing odds & ends from his garage or lock-up. A great man, and instantly likeable to boot. Sooner or later, I also picked up the little saying "I've got that in stock, or "Put that safe, it's useful".

A lot of wood that I've been using on this shed project is sometimes free, and some has been stored for some 20-odd years, I knew full well that it would prove a use some day, and 'that day' is now. 

I should be on the roof, but I'm always getting rained off. Let's see what happens this afternoon....

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, bbishop said:

This thread is getting wurst.  Sie ist eine Wurst, zwei Würste, usw.  And the mustard is Senf.

Bill

Bill, my unreserved apologies for mangling the German language and sprinkling umlauts where no umlaut should go. Entschuldigen Sie mir bitte.  Now you know why it took me three goes to pass it at O Level. In my defence, though, the mustard I was referring to at the bratty wagon wasn't classic senf but I think was an American brand called, IIRC, French's. 

14 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Dutch sausages really are the worst ...

Ah, well, when it comes to frikandellen it's a case of horses for courses.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
Originally posted yesterday but for some reason it disappeared. Hence 'good night' removed.
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

Ah, well, when it comes to frikandellen it's a case of horses for courses

Ossenworst really sounds as if it is horsey but is beef. Raw beef though. I did try it in Haarlem. Later that holiday it was also available at breakfast in a hotel in Lübeck, but I didn’t try their version. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It is still blowing quite hard here, with intermittent rain.

In fact the wind is able to blow the garage door shut despite it being wedged and weighted.

Absolutely no chance of doing any sensible work outside.

I did manage to do some timber sorting, bundle up quite a bit of code 250 rail, and do a repair to one of the plastic fridge shelves (Butanol is my friend).

I think the replacement of the store shed roof will have to wait until we get a few days of sunshine and no wind.  Those that have wrestled a sail in high winds, will appreciate I have no wish to replicate this with roofing felt whilst at the top of a ladder.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Currently on the sick list as I seem to have fallen foul of some sort of gastric bug. Had a terrible night with a fever, lousy headache, various other aches and pains and multiple trips to the bathroom. Since daybreak things have started to improve  but I still feel cr*p and Jill is looking after me. At least the major WuFlu symptoms seem absent. Back later when I feel more human.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 10