Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I happened to pass Attingham Park earlier.

Unfortunately did not have time to stop & visit.

It would have depended at what time you passed Telfland:  Too early and you would have been roped in to help fill the car.

Later you would have been expected to eat Venison sausage, potato wedges and veggie tubbles, plus a glass of Merlot.

Raspberries from the garden followed, with a blob of ice cream.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

It would have depended at what time you passed Telfland:  Too early and you would have been roped in to help fill the car.

Later you would have been expected to eat Venison sausage, potato wedges and veggie tubbles, plus a glass of Merlot.

Raspberries from the garden followed, with a blob of ice cream.

What time would you like me to arrive?

Dave

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

Saturday  looms large

A full day has been planned for me. 

The dreaded Merry Hill trip is on, but at least it will be dry inside 

Pre rain gardening :sorry:and general tidying  has been ordered for the rest of the day. 

Wish me luck 

I may be some time

Andy

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Slightly crackered this evening. The undeveloped 1/3 acre lot across the road was for sale a couple of years ago. MrsID was greatly concerned that someone would buy it and build an enormous house that would block our view of the lake. Anyway, long story short, we took out a loan and bought it.

We thought it was a pretty safe bet but what we didn't anticipate was that real-estate prices here would go completely bonkers. Turns out there were four other parties who wanted to buy it so we finally caved and sold it for a 90% return (over 2 years) on the investment :)  (Unfortunately capital-gains tax will put a dent in that).

So the reason for my encrackerment is I had to move all our crepe off the lot for the new owners.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

MrsID was greatly concerned that someone would buy it and build an enormous house that would block our view of the lake. Anyway, long story short, we took out a loan and bought it.

We thought it was a pretty safe bet but what we didn't anticipate was that real-estate prices here would go completely bonkers. Turns out there were four other parties who wanted to buy it so we finally caved and sold it for a 90% return (over 2 years) on the investment :)  .

Could you have/did you get a clause in the sale about the height of anything to be built on the lot?

• Agree 6

38 minutes ago, pH said:

Could you have/did you get a clause in the sale about the height of anything to be built on the lot?

There are covenants on this development that limit homes to 1.5 floors (one plus a semi-basement) and we know the buyers quite well so it's probably OK. In fact they'll probably improve the view by taking out some big fir trees. Our house is also at a higher elevation.

MrsID's concern was probably based more on the fact that she had become used to looking at an undeveloped piece of land for 25 years :D

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, pH said:

Or build a house on the new bit of land (so presumably closer to the lake) and sell the old house to pay for it.  And get Grand Designs to follow the build and watch how much over budget it goes - along with any big ideas of the owners being "mortgage free"......

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It's raining here so no G word, but yesterday I actually ran trains on LGA. There is a reason, some friends who we haven't seen since  pre covid are coming for lunch and Alistair wishes to spend time in the shed.  Should beca good day.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

It's raining here so nonG word, but yesterdayvI actually ran trainscon LGA.

I'm surprised that the French didn't have a national holiday and hold a street party to celebrate this momentous occasion.

I need to get myself personally groomed and dressed prior to departing for the show (remembering to pick up Gordon en route).

• Like 10

On 28/09/2021 at 16:58, jamie92208 said:

I have been told that the smell of human urine is an excellent  fox repellent.  We haven't had any apparent  trouble with M Renard yet outside the hen enclosure.

Jamie

Since you mention it, during the heavy storm a few weeks ago, several local gardens were flooded (including ours) to varying extents when the local combined drainage overflowed (this IS East Anglia, after all). We haven't seen a fox since, and they were quite numerous. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

That, or block the road with tractors. 

No chance of that in our village, the farmers are too busy using the tractirs to get the fields harvested and tilled. June is tractor blockage time before the start of the harvest.  Anyway the most important harvest is now in full swing, Le Vindage, or the grape picking.  Nothing delays that harvest. The stills are being serviced and will be fired up in a few weeks.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Sowing had been going on hereabouts, until the rain intervened. Lots of maïs (maize) still to be cut, much of it as ensilage (silage) for feeding cattle over the Winter. I have no ground-floor view behind my house, as Jean-Claude has yet to cut his and it is indeed as high as the famed elephant's eye!

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Sowing had been going on hereabouts, until the rain intervened. Lots of maïs (maize) still to be cut, much of it as ensilage (silage) for feeding cattle over the Winter. I have no ground-floor view behind my house, as Jean-Claude has yet to cut his and it is indeed as high as the famed elephant's eye!

We've got a bit of ensilage and a few fields of sorry looking tournesol, sunflowers, still standing but most have been cut an are either sown or being readied for sowing.  The sunflower harvest gives the interesting sight of what look like trailer loads of coal heading to the silo.  The seeds are black. 

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I thought it was an S7 soldering jig 

I though that was a sort of dance - a bit like the tarantella but in response to burning a finger on the iron rather than being bitten by a spider. Or possibly brought on by someone suggesting they bring their coarse scale stuff over for a run on your O gauge layout...

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The RAF made a humanitarian aid visit to the show bearing urgent rations. Allegedly it was this or more cobbling in the hanger. 

Thanks Dave, much appreciated. (Both slices!) IMG_20211002_124914.jpg.332346fca20afd4d9958aad761992612.jpg

Hmmm........whilst we still need expert confirmation from a tame(ish) Punk Rocker, Bear would hazard a guess that it bears (see what I did there?) an uncanny resemblance to Ex-Lax.  I'd hold fire before scoffin' it if I were you - those RAF types can be pretty dastardly you know.....

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6