Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

On 02/11/2021 at 02:18, BR60103 said:

On one of my first trips in Boston, the station announcement said "Chow".   The next station was beside the Charles River.

Boston has 4 transit lines.* Each has stock incompatible with all the others. (Fuller explanation on request.)

* not counting the ones on the big railway lines.

I spent a month or so in Boston in 1971, during my first trip to the "Land of the Free", and the MBTA then was amazing - almost a museum of electric urban transport with everything from a genuine El (I spent my first week in a 2nd floor appartment right next to the elevated orange line - I didn't get much sleep) to an underground  "pre-Metro", the red line, that became streetcar lines and an interurban once it left its downtown tunnels (ISTR they were still using PCC cars)  plus a couple of more conventional metro lines (green and blue) with I think a long section of the green line above ground.  I think the most amazing thing were the large elevated termini on the elevated Orange line.

The most impressive Metro I ever travelled on was the one in Moscow - with the one in Leningrad coming a close second. However, apart from the Hermitage Museum in Leningrad and the ice cream (Russian ice cream was very good), it was about the only thing that did impress me about the CCCP when it was run by "Bugsy" Brezhnev. To misquote Joseph Lincoln Steffens. "I've seen the future and it really doesn't work." The people seemed completely sullen and downtrodden. During that school trip in 1967 I also got to travel on the Berlin S-Bahn but the Berlin wall had left me impervious to the M-L propaganda we got . 

The Paris Metro did go through a phase when it was filthy, with every train covered in graffiti but what amused me was the priority ranking for the use of priority seats. I wondered whether a disabled war veteran ever did insist that a blind person or someone disabled by an industrial accident or even a pregnant woman should relinguish their seat while those in the other seats just looked on. 

What is even more amusing is that the priority list is still in force and published on RATP's website

Priority seats are reserved by priority ranking as follows:

1. War and military disabled

2. Blind civilians

3. Disabled workers

4. Disabled civilians who have trouble standing

5. Pregnant women

6. Persons with children under age 4

7. Disabled civilians who do not have trouble standing

8. Persons with a card stipulating that they have trouble standing

9  Seniors aged 75 and over

Presumably the idea that someone not in a priority seat might give it up for  a disabled civilian or a pregnat woman is alien to the Parisian psyche- no wonder everyone else in France hates them.

The other cities whose public transport has impressed me include Hamburg where they had S-Bahn, U-Bahn, trams, buses and river buses on the Elbe all integrated by the Hamburger Verkehrsverbund (I don't think the DB trains were yet integrated then)  and Lyon where they have one fully automatic Metro without platform doors, another one with a rack section, trams and a couple of funiculars (there used to be five but one of those is now used by the rack metro) 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 11

I haven't ridden on the Moscow metro, but I have ridden on a trolleybus in Khavarovsk. 

We were demobbing from a job in the Tartar Strait and the project management wanted to keep us busy so that we wouldn't wander off, get drunk, oversleep, get mugged or all the other things groups of offshore workers get up to in the Wild East, given the chance. 

A trolleybus was produced (it's pointless to enquire into such matters in Russia) and the dozen or so of us were sent on a "tourist bus" trip, stopping periodically for tea, kvass, pastries and anything else which seemed interesting. We had an enthusiastic Russian woman as a guide. She couldn't actually speak English, but its the thought that counts, I suppose.

As most of us were leaving and didn't expect to return, we emptied our local currency into her hat at the end, which seemed to amaze her (it was probably at least a month's salary for her).

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

No, it is opportunity knocking! You now have the ability to create a mini-scene with the track crew and maybe someone from signals too doing something where the ballast is removed from the track.  And if you are into operations, slow orders can be issued. See, a blessing in disguise!

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

No, it is opportunity knocking! You now have the ability to create a mini-scene with the track crew and maybe someone from signals too doing something where the ballast is removed from the track.  And if you are into operations, slow orders can be issued. See, a blessing in disguise!

I suspect the section of track is the single section just after the yard throat, so the shed will be closed for the  foreseeable future.

I'd just get under the baseboard with a drill and create a hole and go in from underneath.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Boston

I can't find my reference books tonight, but this is what I recall.

Green line: First subway in North America (just beating New York). Downtown streetcars put underground and then spread out into the suburbs on surface. It had 3 or 4 lines when I was there 50 years ago.

Orange line: Main Line El.  Major Heavy elevated line. Sort of parallel to the Green line. Buried in Downtown.

Red line:  Crosses the above two. Runs from Cambridge (Harvard) to Quincy and Ashmont. Streetcar extension to Matappan which I think is still PCC.

Blue line: East Boston tunnel. Started as a street car line from downtown, then under the river. Subsequently extended on old railway past the airport. Has an underground loop originally used by streetcars. Cars have to be short enough to go around loop.  Senior moment: One bit is pantograph overhead wire; the other is third rail. I can't remember which.

When I rode it the motorman looked at my copy of Trains and asked "Are you a railfan?" He then invited me into the cab to go around the loop. "Keep out of sight of the inspectors."

The red line has wider cars than the orange line (by about a foot) so they are incompatible. I think orange cars were run on the red line with extension bits at the doors.

I think much of the Main Line has been buried since I rode it in the 70s.

Winter started today -- we had a bit of snow and sleet.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

13 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Our next door neighbour has just delivered a load of tables and chairs that have disappeared into my workshop.

It's her husband's 50th birthday at the end of the week, and this is all equipment for his party.  

Stored out of sight, as it is going to be a surprise party.

I hope the weather holds.

Mrs SM42 organised a surprise 50th party for me. 

Like your neighbour she had supply dumps all over town with friends and relatives.

Food, alcohol and party decorations all hidden away.

The best bit was I had an invite to my own party, 4 months before the event.

I thought that the surprise was for someone else.

We even had some of the guests stay with us, explained away all very plausibly . :keeporder:

Hook, line and sinker sums it up.

No one blabbed. The secret was kept. 

I don't think anyone wanted to be on her wrong side. :butcher:

I put it down to her KGB training :triniti:

I'm not sure how I can do anything that comes close for her 50th.

Andy

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

A surprise party would be my idea of hell. I might well walk out. Social events need to be planned.

I have now been back in the UK for a fortnight, during which time I have attended three theatres - one play, two ballets - and had several pub or restaurant lunches. I have travelled on HSTs and Voyagers, and not a few buses. Life feels almost normal!

• Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

"Ah, well, the crazies are quiet now so you should be OK for a day or so."

In March 2003, I was in Israel providing assistance at the University Graduation Ceremonies for our partner college in Israel. This was during the preparations for the Iraq war and as a number of missiles (Wikipedia quotes 88 Scud) had been fired into Israel by Iraq back in the first Gulf War in 1991, the English language paper Jerusalem Post was full of articles about where to find your nearest bomb shelter and adverts for fire extinguishers.

The British Ambassador was the guest speaker and in the bar after the final ceremony, he asked the University Vice-Chancellor how long we were staying and said exactly the same as part of the quote above - that we should be OK for a day or so. When we got back to the hotel, reception handed us each a personally addressed sealed envelope which contained a letter from the Ambassador to say that the Foreign Office had changed the usual travel advice and that only essential travel should be undertaken and that we should consider leaving the country.

We were already booked on a BA flight out of Ben Gurion the next morning and we expected the airport to be busy and the flight full - but is was quieter than normal and we had plenty of room on the plane. We were home for a few days and then it all started - but this time as far as I'm aware, not one missile was fired towards Israel.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

A surprise party would be my idea of hell. I might well walk out. Social events need to be planned.

I have now been back in the UK for a fortnight, during which time I have attended three theatres - one play, two ballets - and had several pub or restaurant lunches. I have travelled on HSTs and Voyagers, and not a few buses. Life feels almost normal!

If any "friend" organised a surprise party for me they would rapidly become an ex-friend!

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Boston

I can't find my reference books tonight, but this is what I recall.

Green line: First subway in North America (just beating New York). Downtown streetcars put underground and then spread out into the suburbs on surface. It had 3 or 4 lines when I was there 50 years ago.

Orange line: Main Line El.  Major Heavy elevated line. Sort of parallel to the Green line. Buried in Downtown.

Red line:  Crosses the above two. Runs from Cambridge (Harvard) to Quincy and Ashmont. Streetcar extension to Matappan which I think is still PCC.

Blue line: East Boston tunnel. Started as a street car line from downtown, then under the river. Subsequently extended on old railway past the airport. Has an underground loop originally used by streetcars. Cars have to be short enough to go around loop.  Senior moment: One bit is pantograph overhead wire; the other is third rail. I can't remember which.

When I rode it the motorman looked at my copy of Trains and asked "Are you a railfan?" He then invited me into the cab to go around the loop. "Keep out of sight of the inspectors."

The red line has wider cars than the orange line (by about a foot) so they are incompatible. I think orange cars were run on the red line with extension bits at the doors.

I think much of the Main Line has been buried since I rode it in the 70s.

Winter started today -- we had a bit of snow and sleet.

I rode quite a bit of the Boston system in 2012.  It will feature in my Random American Photos thread but not for a few weeks.  We are still in California.

54 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

If any "friend" organised a surprise party for me they would rapidly become an ex-friend!

My other half is making threats about my 70'th next year.  I am trying to dissuade her.   I suspect that I won't succeed.

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

So far today, I have managed to avoid working up in the veg patch on the de-weeding program.

Alternative employment was found in the garage where I had another cull of my wood pile.

Once I've finished the new cassette table boards, I'll be able to have  yet another cull of timber.

I realised I've reactivated my 'It might come in handy' syndrome.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

A surprise party would be my idea of hell. I might well walk out. Social events need to be planned....

Are you sure that you are not Swiss? (in Switzerland, spontaneity has to be planned in advance - preferably by a few weeks or so)

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 5
  • Funny 9

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

My other half is making threats about my 70'th next year.  I am trying to dissuade her.   I suspect that I won't succeed.

Jamie

Resistance is useless 

Andy

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Aditi told me years ago never ever plan a surprise party. She wouldn’t be amusedby such a thing. That suits me as I can’t say I really like parties. I am not totally antisocial, a nice meal and chatting to people for a birthday is fine. 

• Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Online everything certainly cuts down on all the paper but it has its downsides too. Last night I rediscovered a savings account that I thought I had closed. Should be enough to cover the cost of the Grand Tour :)

Edited by AndyID
Speeling eror
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 7

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Online everything certainly cuts down on all the paper but it has its downsides to. Last night I rediscovered a savings account that I thought I had closed. Should be enough to cover the cost of the Grand Tour :)

I had a dormant account like that.  the accumulated funds were just enough to cover a GT...

A Gin and Tonic!

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Online everything certainly cuts down on all the paper but it has its downsides too. Last night I rediscovered a savings account that I thought I had closed. Should be enough to cover the cost of the Grand Tour :)

You really shouldn't leave your money shoved down the back of the hard drive...

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

I had a dormant Building Society account; when I contacted them they were about to "de-mutualise".  Having discussed with the BS's helpline how I proved who I was etc., I asked whether the £9 or so in the account would make me eligible for any payment from the sale.  The woman was very helpful, with words to the effect, "I didn't tell you this, but...", said if there was a hundred quid or so in the account it would pass any threshold.  I did that and soon afterwards my dormant account trebled in size and I then closed it.  Much as I like Building Societies more than Banks, Gift 'Orses and all that....

Re: Surprise parties; it seems to me the only people who like surprise parties are the people who arrange surprise parties.  The fact that we are all railway enthusiasts here (model and full-size) means that we are statistically likely to be biased towards one end of the Autistic Spectrum, one common behavioral trait in which is comfort in order, routine and limited stimuli.  A surprise party is likely to involve sudden noise, having to react to lots of people we haven't "prepared" to talk to, possibly more social interaction in 30 minutes than we usually have in a week.  It's hardly surprising (sorry) that most of us don't enjoy it and the fact that so many people dislike it might suggest far more people are on the Spectrum than have ever being diagnosed (and despite being called ASD, it isn't a "Disorder" at all).

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1