Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

They were regularly switched over to even out wheel wear. The workshops were above the running lines and the cars were craned up into the workshop, turned around and placed on the other track.

They had windows on both sides but the side that faced away from the (island) platforms were left in primer.

Thanks Phil!

Were there not also two power pickups on the non-platfrom side to power the lighting, or I am I mis-remembering that too :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Filler caps. 

My car has at least 5

1 fuel

2 coolant 

3 oil

4 brake fluid

5 screen washer

:D

Some more filler caps:

6 Transmission fluid/GO 90

7 Differential oil/GO-90

8 Schrader valves on the tires

9 A/C Freon

I realize that your car may not have some or all of them, though.

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Yes there were, they contacted two copper wires on the tunnel wall. Quite safe as the cars had no doors on that side either.

At the risk of pushing it, were not the station names positioned between the conductors? (Or is the old memory playing tricks yet again!)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BSW01 said:

The second is the sand drying building, but looking at the photos w, I think the chimney is a wee bit too big, so I might make a smaller one at some time. 

74CB9D7E-DC49-4555-9B97-54721B820826.jpeg.a7e3274f1c2a627baa25457af7c6e11f.jpeg

Built on the site of a former boiler house/steam heating plant.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, AndyID said:

At the risk of pushing it, were not the station names positioned between the conductors? (Or is the old memory playing tricks yet again!)

Your memory’s not too bad:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/West_Street_subway_station_in_1966_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1479601.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

I am most envious of those (with or without a “dodgy memory”) who have had the opportunity to ride the Glasgow underground. Underground/Metro railways are a particular fascination of mine and whenever I am visiting a city with such a system, I do try to explore it.

Obviously the “mother of all underground railways” is the London Underground. But perhaps because I was able to explore it in the 1960s, it doesn’t seem so interesting today as it was back then. Partly, I suspect, this is due to the difference between a first time exploration and adult familiarity. But also partly because over the years the “improvements” made to the London Underground system (although sorely needed and very necessary) have robbed the system of some of that fascination.

The Berlin Metro is fascinating and the stations in the former East Berlin are an utter delight - not having changed much (in appearance) since the 1930s. So lots of lovely Art Deco features. 

As for other underground/metro systems - some thumbnail impressions:

• Paris Metro and RER: fascinating but dirty.
  • New York Subway: effing scary!
  • Chicago EL: exactly as portrayed in the movies.
  • Washington DC Metro - bland and soulless
  • Tokyo Metro/Underground: spotless, efficient, fascinating and confusing as hell.
  • Kuala Lumpur: I’ve only ever travelled on the KL monorail which serves downtown KL. Great fun.
  • Bangkok: Again, not travelled much on it - just the BTS Skytrain. Enjoyable.

Once the coronavirus pandemic has died down (and it will - some virologists believe that by 2024 it will be a no greater problem than the seasonal flu [which can also be lethal if you are vulnerable for one reason or another]) and before I get too old and decrepit, I hope to have be able to do a six week foodie and railway tour of Southeast Asia and Japan.

I am most definitely saving up my pennies, because I want to indulge myself in at least one of the Japanese hotel trains (such as the Train Suite Shiki-Shima) - which are beyond luxurious. And that’s a topic for some other time…

• Like 12

12 hours ago, SM42 said:

Myself and Mrs SM42 have just walked the MiL home and there are a numbers of trick or treaters out. Not the marauding hordes you find in the UK

All very civilised. One group wished us good evening.

Mind you it is a little more complicated here as everywhere  you go you need to use the intercom at the gate before you even get near a door. 

Then of course it is all frowned upon by the church.

On the way back we popped into the local cemetery. It was very busy as it always is at this time of year and is a sea of flickering candles as far as the eye can see. 

Tomorrow is All Saints and people who haven't already will be off to tend the graves of their loved ones and pay their respects. 

It is really a quite beautiful if a little sombre sight

Andy

Interestingly enough, KungFlu seems to have put a crimp in the activities of trick-or-treaters around here. I can't say I regret or miss it... although I remember traipsing around calling "penny for the guy" near bus stops when I was quite small. 

No 2 Son lives on an estate largely populated by 20- and 30-somethings with young families and Halloween seems popular there. The firework display is back next weekend at the Showground, although no bonfire and no reference to Guy Fawkes. 

Xmas will be interesting. The town centre retains its general air of devastation, with little or nothing open. The Council continues to spend local funds on the "Christmas Market" while the actual locals go elsewhere to order their turkeys and pork pies. 

For the second year running, Carol services are notably lacking. The Cathedral have moved the "shoppers and business" lunchtime carol service to 5pm one Tuesday, 10 days beforehand... THAT should pack them in. I COULD go to one of their "festive concerts", some with "carols and old favourites to sing along to" for £15-35 a pop, but somehow that seems to be missing the point? 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

33 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

• Tokyo Metro/Underground: spotless, efficient, fascinating and confusing as hell.
  • Kuala Lumpur: I’ve only ever travelled on the KL monorail which serves downtown KL. Great fun.

The system in Budapest I found was a strange mix of modern and old world touches of varnished wood depending on which station  you were at.

I've only used part of he red and yellow routes so can't speak for the whole system, but the parts I did see were most interesting.

The do not cross the white line without a ticket rule at the station entrance is also quite interesting in a quaint sort of way. 

Then of course the system benefits from being in a beautiful  city. 

Andy

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

As a kid I frequently used the line under the Mersey from Liverpool Central underground to Birkenhead and then places various on the Wirral. Originally steam hauled (but before HH chips in, no I don't remember it then) it was, I believe, the steepest graded steam passenger service in the Country. It's now part of the overall Merseyrail setup that has a network of lines beneath the City.

Dave

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Is that by any chance a Milnes built car, that style of bench seat looks awfully familiar.

Jamie

The Manx cars are Milnes, Jamie, if that was what you meant?  Not many with original trucks though, the only power car I can think of on Milnes plate frame trucks is 14, the rest now have Brill or Brush trucks.  Most trailers are though, trailer 42 which is fresh from overhaul provides a surprisingly good ride,  unlike one (number evades me) that unusually has Brill trucks but are presumably worn out - it is appalling!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, pH said:

That actually pre-dates electrification when the line was cable hauled. Note the third rail about a foot above the running rails.

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I am most envious of those (with or without a “dodgy memory”) who have had the opportunity to ride the Glasgow underground. Underground/Metro railways are a particular fascination of mine and whenever I am visiting a city with such a system, I do try to explore it.

Obviously the “mother of all underground railways” is the London Underground. But perhaps because I was able to explore it in the 1960s, it doesn’t seem so interesting today as it was back then. Partly, I suspect, this is due to the difference between a first time exploration and adult familiarity. But also partly because over the years the “improvements” made to the London Underground system (although sorely needed and very necessary) have robbed the system of some of that fascination.

The Berlin Metro is fascinating and the stations in the former East Berlin are an utter delight - not having changed much (in appearance) since the 1930s. So lots of lovely Art Deco features. 

Once the coronavirus pandemic has died down (and it will - some virologists believe that by 2024 it will be a no greater problem than the seasonal flu [which can also be lethal if you are vulnerable for one reason or another]) and before I get too old and decrepit, I hope to have be able to do a six week foodie and railway tour of Southeast Asia and Japan.

I am most definitely saving up my pennies, because I want to indulge myself in at least one of the Japanese hotel trains (such as the Train Suite Shiki-Shima) - which are beyond luxurious. And that’s a topic for some other time…

Not many people have heard of the Ipswich Underground Railway.

http://www.simonknott.co.uk/ipswichunderground.htm

A very clever April fool's spoof.

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

The system in Budapest I found was a strange mix of modern and old world touches of varnished wood depending on which station  you were at.

I've only used part of he red and yellow routes so can't speak for the whole system, but the parts I did see were most interesting.

The do not cross the white line without a ticket rule at the station entrance is also quite interesting in a quaint sort of way. 

Then of course the system benefits from being in a beautiful  city. 

Andy

Also Budapest was the first Metro system in mainland Europe. Like the early London lines the first line (M1) was built by cut and cover following the roads. But in Budapest the main sewers also followed the roads leaving as little as 2.5 metres between the road surface and the crown of the sewer. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Metro

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I have been trying to recall which Underground systems I have been to.

I think, London, Paris, Munich, Boston, St Petersburg and Milan. I have been to other cities with underground railways like New York and Copenhagen  but haven’t been on the trains. There may be more they I can’t recall at the moment. 
Edit 

Just remembered Vienna and Barcelona. Seen but not travelled on. Apparently Stockholm also has an Underground, of which I remained totally unaware on a short visit there. We walked about. In Amsterdam we used trams and boats but also walked a lot. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

fascinating but dirty.

And louder than a 4f with….

errrrrrr

(proceeds to question the morality of another joke about axelboxes. More than likely not the first time in human history)

But yes it’s incredibly loud. Both people and train.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

Prior to becoming a full-time layabout I lived in New Jersey and worked round the corner from Wall Street. I took a NJ Transit train to Hoboken then transferred to the PATH which went under the Hudson. I got off in The World Trade Center under the Twin Towers.

All went well until one afternoon when there was a very loud explosion caused by a bomb that was intended to demolish one of the towers. What it did do was completely destroy the PATH station. I had to take the ferry after that.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

The majority of today was taken up by a pre planned electricity outage as Western Power we replacing one of the local overhead cables.   I did not envy them out in the weather we ended up with:  Supposedly sunshine and scattered clouds, but it turned out to be windy with driving rain squalls.

The number of jobs I couldn't do because they needed electrical assistance in one form or another.

The good news was I dug out all the semaphore signal kits I had stashed away and then are now in nice neat little piles awaiting assembly. However, on the question of illumination I am torn between LED and fibre optic tube. both have advantages and disadvantages, so as is usual in the Hippoporium, much experimentation is needed.

I suspect this will require copious lubrication from the Red bottle (Penderyn) in order to reach a sensible conclusion.

I also need to get on with the signal cabin.  I have two kits which are both partially made, but having learned from their faults, I'm now leaning towards a handmade small McKenzie and Holland version as drawn in issue 2 of MRJ, albeit with Taff Vale bargeboards (although they are rather ornate).

Of course, if I do that, I really ought to have at least one signal built as a somersault variety.  Methinks that might be a step too far at present.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I have been trying to recall which Underground systems I have been to.

I think, London, Paris, Munich, Boston, St Petersburg and Milan. I have been to other cities with underground railways like New York and Copenhagen  but haven’t been on the trains. There may be more they I can’t recall at the moment. 
Edit 

Just remembered Vienna and Barcelona. Seen but not travelled on. Apparently Stockholm also has an Underground, of which I remained totally unaware on a short visit there. We walked about. In Amsterdam we used trams and boats but also walked a lot. 

This Bear has only been on two (as far as I know) - the L.U. (filthy, full of weirdos) and the Seoul Underground - squeaky clean and soooo cheap.  Brilliant.

I've also been on the monorail in KL, but that doesn't really count as an underground.  Another brilliant system.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

In trying to recall the underground systems I have used, London and Paris feature heavily. Then Marseilles, Lyon, Munich, Bruxelles and, of course, the Isle of Wight! :jester:

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I've thunk and thecsystems thatvI've ridden are,

London, Liverpool and Glasgow.

Paris, Brussels, Lisbon, Barcelona 

Toronto, LA, San Francisco, Chicago

The one that stands out most is Paris in 1967, thecold wooden stock, the smell and the Du, Dubon, Dubonnet  adverts on thecwall as you entered thectunnels from most stations.

Jamie

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1