Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

Well, I don't consider myself in any very imminent danger* but I have gone down with a nasty cold brought home from school by No. 2 Son, which does cast doubt on the effectiveness of measures to stop the spread of coronavirus.

*Certainly since the bus frequency on our road was halved as a lockdown economy measure.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Based on recent posts I think that with the exception of young Douglas we are all lucky to still be here. 

Dave  

Yes, and career choices for some of us a long time ago, also had the potential to increased the chance of an early demise.

Now it's time to panic buy again

I've just had 171 Sqn RLC deliver 300 tons of toilet paper direct to my back door (I mean the rear entrance to the Hippodrome)

SEVEN Sqn (RAF) will deliver underslung loads comprising pallets of baked beans.

In Hippo terms that's the equivalent of a Coffman start.

Douglas is too young to remember so:

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

13 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Douglas is too young to remember so:

Nice DH is that, I’m more used to looking at MiG 21s though. I think you could fit several Xmas turkeys in those droptanks...

I’ve heard of Coffman starts funnily enough, the same method (I believe) is used when starting Field Marshall tractor or a Catepriller D8 made before 1957.

45507EC3-9F3E-415D-A6B1-175F50CD396A.jpeg

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Is that a Mig 21PF Douglas? To whom does it belong?

Dave

It belongs to a friend of mine, he’s ex USAAF (two tours Vietnam). He owns several planes, or did, including an ex red arrows knat. The MiG is ex Polish Air Force, my friend bought her and flew her for a few years before something broke that was not cost effective to repair. He then decided to donate it to the Tulsa Air & Space museum. All original paint  was stripped (hence why the photo is in bare metal), and repainted in North Korean markings. Keep in mind this was near the height of Trump-Kim Jong Un tensions. Now it’s mounted on a stand outside the museum. 

The hanger she was in is now owned by a multi million dollar oil supply company, and houses a G550 and a DeSault Falcon. My dad used to work at said company, but left just before completion of hanger conversion.

74F4D06E-1266-4F1D-93F2-C0CAF4FDEF7B.jpeg
If I remember correctly, my dad, who is also good friends with the gentleman, got some of the engineers at said company to design the stand before he left.

Funny aircraft carrier story for you all. The gent seen on the far right in the last photo is also a friend of both me and my dad, and was on carriers for a while during the 70s and 80s, mostly in the Med. When he left the Navy he took a catapult bar with him, why? Well I’ve got no idea. 30 odd years later we where standing round talking in his garage (this jolly massive catapult bar is leaning up against the wall, 7ft long and a good 200 pounds), and the bar got a bit energetic, ie it fell over and made a massive racket. Thankfully I jumped out of the way otherwise I would have been crushed by it, was only 10 at the time.

6611B70B-B3FE-4333-AC82-4F52E325F153.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Just now, Steamport Southport said:

That's an Airfix kit. :prankster:

Similar markings to the one in the Dogfight Doubles.

spacer.png

Had that kit. No idea what happened to it though. 

I highly, highly doubt a Cessna would have ever willingly gotten that close to a MiG 21:D. An F4 Phantom or A7 would be a bit more likely. I believe the Airfix one is in either Chinese or Viet Cong markings.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, I don't consider myself in any very imminent danger* but I have gone down with a nasty cold brought home from school by No. 2 Son, which does cast doubt on the effectiveness of measures to stop the spread of coronavirus.

*Certainly since the bus frequency on our road was halved as a lockdown economy measure.

'

Pandemic no 2 - the common cold.  Temperature and cough - you can guess the rest of the scenario.  Sadly a certain gentleman in SW1 didn't, closing down testing sites and laboratories just as the little darlings went back to school. 

And bank opening hours cut "to help our customers cope with Covid".

Bill

• Friendly/supportive 4

11 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I highly, highly doubt a Cessna would have ever willingly gotten that close to a MiG 21:D. An F4 Phantom or A7 would be a bit more likely. I believe the Airfix one is in either Chinese or Viet Cong markings.

Vietnam War.

It was a late 1960s/early 1970s set, so current at the time. Meant to be a MIG attacking the Americans.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Just the MiG's turbulence in passing at that distance would have give the Cessna a load of problems!

• Agree 1

Evening,

Just spent a good hour and a half bleeding the breaks on the Kart, not a fun job and took to long, but oh well. Better than racing with just throttle retardation.

In other news tonight I found this wonderful old photo in a book of a BL GtV at the Bassett Lowke stand during the 1921 model engineer exhibition. On the top left is a Bing for BL Gauge 1 GNR Atlantic. To the right of that is a BL 2 1/2 inch gauge GNR Pacific, as this was before the grouping. Below is what I think may be a model do one of the Union Castle Line three stackers, but as it’s not very lavender looking I have my doubts. Below that is the GtV with full (at that time) set of coaches. Below that on the far left is another Bing G 1 Atlantic. Behind the center exhibit is this time a 3 1/4 inch (such a thing did exist, @sncf231e has one, hopefully he won’t mind my mentioning it) GNR Atlantic. The other bottom center exhibits are both Midland 2p’s, one is Gauge 1 and the other O. On the bottom far right is rather GCR, G&SWR or maybe Caledonian looking Gauge 1 4-6-0. I did these ID’s just off the top of me ‘ead so the gauges may be wrong.

Douglas

94A3D4CB-AD51-44C7-9733-B7E89D81EDF2.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I didn't know it was called Coffman, but do recall a spent cartridge being found adjacent to where a tracked vehicle was working on the sand-pit close to home, in the mid-fifties. My friend, a little older and a gun-lover,  was in no doubt about its purpose.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

For those of you who have visited the Banggood site, please be aware that they will stock and ship almost anything.

The latest ad I have had from them offers what is delicately described as a Men's health tool.

I thought this might be some form of exercise machine.  Well it is after a sort ........... 

You get the choice of Golden Star, Daisy Touch or Prickly Rose.

Now those are names to conjure with.

Certainly not the naming of locomotive type names.

Which did you go for?

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

In other news tonight I found this wonderful old photo in a book of a BL GtV at the Bassett Lowke stand during the 1921 model engineer exhibition. On the top left is a Bing for BL Gauge 1 GNR Atlantic. To the right of that is a BL GNR Pacific, as this was before three grouping. Below is what I think may be a model do one of the Union Castle Line three stackers, but as it’s not very lavender looking I have my doubts. Below that is the GtV with full (at that time) set of coaches. Below that on the far left is another Bing G 1 Atlantic. Behind the center exhibit is this time a 3 1/4 inch (such a thing did exist, @sncf231e has one, hopefully he won’t mind my mentioning it) GNR Atlantic. The other bottom center exhibits are both Midland 2p’s, one is Gauge 1 and the other O. On the bottom far right is rather GCR, G&SWR or maybe Caledonian looking Gauge 1 4-6-0. I did these ID’s just off the top of me ‘ead so the gauges may be wrong.

The O gauge Midland engine is, I think, a Deeley 999 (4P in LMS days) - a known BL model (caption erroneously says Compound - they were simples); the Gauge 1 one is a 483 Class (2P in LMS days) - again a known BL model. The other Gauge 1 engine looks very like a Pickersgill 60 Class (Caledonian) but I haven't been able to track that down as a BL product - perhaps built to commission?

Oh that such engines were available RTR these days!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1