RMweb

Show us yours - Realistic modelling

42 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Two pairs of buffers? That's interesting...

The lower pair are for handling chaldrons or Ship Canal type contractors' wagons, or other particular internal use wagons.

• Informative/Useful 5

26 minutes ago, Right Away said:

POPULAR RECYCLING - 1950s STYLE

D0C576EA-5FB5-45EB-A1BF-4597534AB69C.jpeg.e629da44362904ac09bf5cbffc5e1a72.jpeg

“Bin ‘ere fer a few weeks now. Reckon nobody wants it.”

Back in the early 70s I was running my 1st car, an Austin A30 (wish I still had it, ran it on a shoestring or less for 12 years, it taught me to look after it properly). One bank holiday we went to Bressingham, which was very busy, I had to go in an overflow car park on the grass. I pulled into the parking space, and wanted to reverse slightly to line up, but the car wouldn't move. So, first things first, we went to enjoy ourselves. Later on, I went to the office to borrow their phone to call the AA (no mobiles back then). They sent the local garage out with a Landrover and chain to tow me in, to his place in Scole a few miles away (and at something that seemed like breakneck speed with me about 3-4 feet behind him). He put the car on the ramp and diagnosed a broken halfshaft in the rear axle, disaster!  "leave it with me, I can get one of those" he said, "shan't be long".

15 minutes later he was back with it. Another 15 minutes and the job was done. "£4.10 shillings will cover it". I gave him a fiver.... apparently there was another A30 dumped on the corner about 1/2 mile away, been there ages.....

• Like 12
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Cab should be fine if the engines are on tickover, which they presumably are if the bubbles are still rattling; first gen. dmu heaters were pretty effective warm air blowers and the cab is not a large space so it heats up quickly.  Prolly warmer than the portacabin’s little element electric heater, especially since somebody seems to have been born in a barn…

I know the portacabin doesn’t have a calor gas heater because the windows are not covered in condensation!

• Like 7
  • Funny 2