Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Show us yours - Realistic modelling

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

A 2P on the Somerset Levels:

DSCN8068_bw.jpg.8ee65f4f7bc3bb451f22b595a4791216.jpg

2P a railwayman or not 2P a railwayman, that is the question.

Whether it be nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of low pay, ridiculous hours, and outrageous working conditions, or take arms against a sea of troubles and, by opposing get a job in the local factory where you will at least be clean, warm and dry, work regular shifts, have a nice canteen, and decent wages, and get to see your girlfriend occasionally.  To work, to earn, perchance to spend...

Ah, but in that work of pleasant surroundings, personnel departments, bonus schemes, and clean clothes, what boredom and frustration may come must give us pause.   At least on the railway nobody's looking over your shoulder all the time bossing you around and you're trusted to get on with it so long as you stay on the rails and the job gets done.  Sometimes it's frustrating, sometimes cold and wet, always dirty, but never boring; I mean, come on, you get paid to play with real trains! 

I don't care how seriously you pretend to take it, or how much you complain about it, you've got to admit that it's FUN!!!  I've seen you, Casey Jonesing it out of the cab window listening to the exhaust beat with flies on your teeth from that happy grin, or leaning over the brake van balcony waving at pretty girls on the platform, telling complaining passengers waiting for delayed trains that 'ah, well, the Severn Tunnel's under water, you know' (oh, no, it's not, is it, that's terrible?), or singing opera at the top of your voice in your signal box, you can't fool me I've seen you!

• Like 11

20 hours ago, John Besley said:

Why don't you start your own railway thread and post your WIP pictures there instead...

I've made a blog last year. That's got a few photos on it and there's a few blogs within that blog covering the work I've done on the layout and the rolling stock.

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

I've made a blog last year. That's got a few photos on it and there's a few blogs within that blog covering the work I've done on the layout and the rolling stock.

Ok just check what this thread is for... 

I have my own thread as a work in progress.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

The thread is to show off 'Realistic Modelling' under the umbrella of 'Get Britain Modelling', which dates from the days of the covid lockdowns.  I'd argue that Witherslack's contributions show a layout that will be realistic in the future rather than a completed scene, and while this may not be entirely appropriate with the general mien of the thread, it has a legitimate place under the umbrella of 'Get Britain Modelling'  The layout is at a very early stage, with the boards, basic scenery forms, and some track laid; I'm assuming that the track is a work in progress and the final form not yet settled because that's the only way I can make sense of the turnout to a very short headshunt that looks as if it's going to be the end of a loop to the running line via a curved turnout when it grows up.  The platform that the Ivatt tank is standing at is clearly not finished, as the paper top surface needs glueing down; as Cwmdimbath's platform is a bit of a mess that would benefit from being ripped out and started again (maybe later this year) my job is to remark but not criticise

It would probably be more at home in 'Layout Topics', but I feel that some of the stentorian tone that John Besley's comments could be interpreted as containing, though I'm sure his intention was to provide friendly advice, is unwarranted.  Personally, I wouldn't have posted such pictures to this thread, but would be careful about being apparently discouraging or disapproving to those that do.  I'd advise Witherslack to ask the mods to move his stuff to 'Layout Topics', where he may find the discussion more constructively critical.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Sorry if my comment where a bit abrupt, it was merely ment as a pointer as I am sure if this was moved to a layout topic, others would chip in with help and advice, as we all have to learn somehow, there is plenty I'd do differently and better now even 12 months on from the first scenery sections on Exhill.

My main point was while this is in the Get Britain Modelling section it is to showcase completed models / scenes / dioramas, not part built projects there is a place and section for these worthy exercises 

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

A 'Jinty' waits for the road on the Somerset Levels:

I thought you called them 'Bagnalls' down on the levels?

• Agree 2