Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Show us yours - Realistic modelling

• RMweb Gold
On 07/06/2023 at 10:07, robock said:

Some background information on the photo that might give solace to the downhearted.

The layout was planned as a series of small scenes that I call 'eyefuls', which would be suitable for photography, as well as blending together in the wider views. The trestle bridge was always going to be part of the scene, but I also wanted a reflection in water and some falling water, so there are just three strong and simple elements to the composition. Construction began in the 1980s with traditional materials - polystyrene foam blocks and plaster -  and remained in this unfinished state until the water was added in the mid 1990s - this was just some scrap clear plastic packaging and a clear ballpoint pen casing for the sluice waterfall. Posts and timbers were scraps of styrene and matchsticks. It was only in preparation for the BRM article a week or so before this photo was taken that the original lint grass was replaced with the static variety. My point is that there are no exotic materials or techniques that are beyond the average modeller, I just had a single clear vision of the finished scene and kept developing it over many years. 

That’s the key and what I’m learning as I get back into the hobby. It’s good to work in sections getting something that looks reasonably complete, then doing another bit, etc. Add to this the potential to go back and refine and tweak the existing sections of layouts and allow a few years. I’m rather taken with the recent addition of static grass, so I quite fancy giving that a go with that soon on my layout,

What I like about the approach is that you can see a good result long before you go back and refine it. What I want to avoid is installing a massive extension to connect to my existing layout all in one go, which then takes a long time to see any tangible result.

Anyhow, the layout is splendid, long may it continue!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 97406 said:

That’s the key and what I’m learning as I get back into the hobby. It’s good to work in sections getting something that looks reasonably complete, then doing another bit, etc. Add to this the potential to go back and refine and tweak the existing sections of layouts and allow a few years. I’m rather taken with the recent addition of static grass, so I quite fancy giving that a go with that soon on my layout,

What I like about the approach is that you can see a good result long before you go back and refine it. What I want to avoid is installing a massive extension to connect to my existing layout all in one go, which then takes a long time to see any tangible result.

Anyhow, the layout is splendid, long may it continue!

Thank you for your comments 97406. We are just showing a few of the views around 'Stratford St. Mary', trying to add a bit of variety each time. We will be holding back pictures of 'Elmleigh Market' until it is exposed to the critical eye of the camera, for inclusion in a future BRM article. Todays weather has put a stop to progress, as the loft layout is subjected to 102°. 

Edited by Kelvin Pinnock
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Kelvin Pinnock said:

Thank you for your comments 97406. We are just showing a few of the views around 'Stratford St. Mary', trying to add a bit of variety each time. We will be holding back pictures of 'Elmleigh Market' until it is exposed to the critical eye of the camera, for inclusion in a future BRM article. Todays weather has put a stop to progress, as the loft layout is subjected to 102°. 

I look forward to seeing  it. It’s most definitely beneficial to take photos of the layout to spot those little things that you just don’t see with the naked eye at the time  You also think of things to add to it as well, which is nice.

Tim

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 10/06/2023 at 12:12, Kelvin Pinnock said:

Heading for a race meeting at Newmarket.

BRM 056.jpg

And note if you will, layneez an' genlemun, something that I learnt within RMWeb (can't remember which thread - sorry) and that has been done here, the discolouration of the brickwork of the over-bridge. Messrs Pinnock have increased the soot/deposit above the line leading out of the station where an engine might be pulling hard and lessened it above the in-bound track where the loco may be coasting to a stop.

Had I not known this, I would have probably splashed soot everywhere, that I shall now endeavour NOT to do on my layout.

'Details, details, details'

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
On 05/06/2023 at 15:21, Kelvin Pinnock said:

Another view previously seen in the BRM feature.

The W&M railbus passes the station's home signal, in the shade of one of Robin's scratchbuilt oak trees.

BRM 69 stacked.jpg

If you listen carefully you can hear the flies buzzing.... awesome work Kelvin, this and Little Muddle ... we are spoilt

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Philou said:

And note if you will, layneez an' genlemun, something that I learnt within RMWeb (can't remember which thread - sorry) and that has been done here, the discolouration of the brickwork of the over-bridge. Messrs Pinnock have increased the soot/deposit above the line leading out of the station where an engine might be pulling hard and lessened it above the in-bound track where the loco may be coasting to a stop.

Had I not known this, I would have probably splashed soot everywhere, that I shall now endeavour NOT to do on my layout.

'Details, details, details'

Cheers,

Philip

I was a bit ahead of you with this, mon ami, I first pulled this stunt back in my teens, using a piece of burning plastic sprue to provide the soot (elf an' safe tee didn't apply back then) (though the 'rents would have gone spare if they'd known what their secondborn was up to in the attic!).  I first noticed it in real life at Bromsgrove, where it was hard not to notice it, but the point had been highlighted by a recent painting of the overbridge at the bottom of the bank.  This would probably have been one of our first major shedbash expeditions, to Tyesely, Saltley, and Oxley, November 1963, Bromsgrove all 9F and 94xx.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I was a bit ahead of you with this, mon ami, I first pulled this stunt back in my teens, using a piece of burning plastic sprue to provide the soot (elf an' safe tee didn't apply back then) (though the 'rents would have gone spare if they'd known what their secondborn was up to in the attic!).  I first noticed it in real life at Bromsgrove, where it was hard not to notice it, but the point had been highlighted by a recent painting of the overbridge at the bottom of the bank.  This would probably have been one of our first major shedbash expeditions, to Tyesely, Saltley, and Oxley, November 1963, Bromsgrove all 9F and 94xx.

Heh, I used to weather all my stock with burning pieces of Duraglit in the 80s. It was very sooty and probably hardly poisonous at all. Considering the air I'd been breathing most of my life was 90% lead...

• Funny 1

13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Given the risks to life, limb and the layout, I used paint for the initial soot blackening, and weathering powder to enhance it. I have a piece of brick, with original soot attached, that came from an overbridge at Clare station for the truly authentic colour! Philou's observation regarding the amount of soot is valid, except in this case the 'approach' track is a headshunt for the goods shed, so is only lightly stained. A better example of selective weathering is seen on the level crossing timbers, where the approach tracks are more heavily stained by brake dust.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Kelvin Pinnock said:

A pause in the morning's shunting.

The shunter and his pal seem to be a bit confused by the bailer.... too new fangled or just wondering how they are going to unload?

Many thanks,

Richard B

4 minutes ago, 30368 said:

The shunter and his pal seem to be a bit confused by the bailer.... too new fangled or just wondering how they are going to unload?

Many thanks,

Richard B

It's been on that wagon at least 30 years, so it might be a bit reluctant to move. The stationmaster is offering some advice.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Many thanks,

Richard B

So they should be, it's a reaper-binder, looks to be a Massey-Harris and certainly not new fangled, they were  developed in the 1870s. See one working, an Albion and PTO driven rather than land wheel- 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

So they should be, it's a reaper-binder, looks to be a Massey-Harris and certainly not new fangled, they were  developed in the 1870s. See one working, an Albion and PTO driven rather than land wheel- 

Thanks for the video Worsdell forever. That binder looks as fragile as the model, which was a Scalelink SLC104 1930 Massey-Harris  binder kit.

Edited by Kelvin Pinnock
addition

53 minutes ago, Kelvin Pinnock said:

Thanks for the video Worsdell forever. That bailer looks as fragile as the model

It's a great video, but I'm not quite sure about fragile, the farm surrounding our little group of houses had one, back in the late 40s and 50s.  Thicky Reaper Bed had a huge length of sliding teeth, like an overgrown hedge cutter all along it's front edge and the noise was fearsome for such a relatively small machine.  There wasn't any doubt about the outcome of a contest between man / boy and machine, with that one.  😱   

I didn't fancy getting trussed and spat out at the other end, either, then stacked with the stooks for days to dry out.    🤣

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

So they should be, it's a reaper-binder, l

Sorry chaps - now I have confused all the staff at Stratford St. Mary by wrongly identifying the reaper binder. Perhaps that is why it has been on the wagon for 30 years?

Keep up the very good work Kelvin.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

Heat but little work in Mid-Wales:

20230315_154324.jpg.40c86839ef25e3af1487fa718824384e.jpg

The poor driver's been knocked out by that bloody great chunk of perspex that has just fallen in from the side window!!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6