RMweb

On Cats

didcot

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Toffy decided discretion was the better part of valour when the granddaughters were lively.

I remember my parents-in-law's two cats trying to climb up the chimney from the living room fireplace when my three screaming nieces came to visit.

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well, we have a problem with Trixie, which made itself known at 5am this morning when I only got in at nearly midnight last night!

It concerns the cat flap, which is in our bedroom, she likes going outside but won't use it without "assistance", i.e. we can push her through, headfirst and let her go as soon as her head starts to push it open and she'll carry on going but she won't make that initial step to headbutt the flap! Instead she sits there and "paws" it making a lot of racket until one of us comes over and shoves here through! Any ideas? (BTW it's a bit cold to leave it open as suggested online! She's not as flighty as she was earlier and I do wonder if it's connected to what happened in her first home.)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hobby said:

Well, we have a problem with Trixie, which made itself known at 5am this morning when I only got in at nearly midnight last night!

It concerns the cat flap, which is in our bedroom, she likes going outside but won't use it without "assistance", i.e. we can push her through, headfirst and let her go as soon as her head starts to push it open and she'll carry on going but she won't make that initial step to headbutt the flap! Instead she sits there and "paws" it making a lot of racket until one of us comes over and shoves here through! Any ideas? (BTW it's a bit cold to leave it open as suggested online! She's not as flighty as she was earlier and I do wonder if it's connected to what happened in her first home.)

Cats in my experience won't do anything if they can get a human to do it for them!

You could try putting some treats on the other side of the cat flap, see if that tempts her to make a bit more of an effort. She might very well have got too used to being helped through that she thinks that's how it works; the pawing at it may be more of an attempt at "oi, come here and help me" than an attempt at using it. Perhaps with the treats just open it very slightly for her at first.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Hobby said:

We've tried treats, she doesn't like any of them! I just want to leave her outside until she gest fed up and tries to get in but Jennie won't let me!

How about a catnip toy, although not all cats react to catnip.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

38 minutes ago, Hobby said:

We've tried treats, she doesn't like any of them! I just want to leave her outside until she gest fed up and tries to get in but Jennie won't let me!

.... Is the right answer. We did a couple of days of it popped open and they were fine so we released it, one cat got the idea, the other refused to use it. In the end she lasted one afternoon and one meal before she caved in...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

20221012_021341.jpg.2407afbc967bdeb214ab1fff9637cd9d.jpg

The Boss has decided the part built railway makes a good bed the polystyrene is to protceh the code 40 rail from her claws one day she may allow me to continue

Our four cats usually like a cardboard box to sit in, but as a new washing machine delivered today came surrounded by expanded polstyrene which I was about to chuck out, your picure meaks me realise I should give it to the cats for a while first.

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Our four cats usually like a cardboard box to sit in, but as a new washing machine delivered today came surrounded by expanded polstyrene which I was about to chuck out, your picure meaks me realise I should give it to the cats for a while first.

beware the Polystyrene balls they will generate everywhere

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi all 

May I ask if the collective wisdom considers this wound worthy of a visit to the V E T ?

D7ED79F0-6A02-4D25-9CFD-2EBF4D75A8F5.jpeg.05a17f165567ebd0c6fba18e88868c7f.jpeg

I’ve only just noticed it, a bit of fur missing and open wound, but Timmy is his usual purry self so I’m thinking we would just keep an eye it. 

Roger

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, 21C123 said:

Hi all 

May I ask if the collective wisdom considers this wound worthy of a visit to the V E T ?

D7ED79F0-6A02-4D25-9CFD-2EBF4D75A8F5.jpeg.05a17f165567ebd0c6fba18e88868c7f.jpeg

I’ve only just noticed it, a bit of fur missing and open wound, but Timmy is his usual purry self so I’m thinking we would just keep an eye it. 

Roger

Looks like he's had a scrap with one of his neighbourhood felines. I'd just watch him for a couple of days, if he's himself, eating ok etc, then don't worry.

• Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Whilst I generally don't rush off to the vet with minor knocks and scratches, this is close enough to the eye to err on the side of caution. A shot of antibiotic now might prevent a world of pain, both feline and financial if the eye becomes infected .

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, doilum said:

Whilst I generally don't rush off to the vet with minor knocks and scratches, this is close enough to the eye to err on the side of caution. A shot of antibiotic now might prevent a world of pain, both feline and financial if the eye becomes infected .

I agreed with the previous post too but I don't think yours sounds overcautious, and it might be deeper than it looks on the photo. Another option is to just give the vet a call and see what they say.

Definitely go to the vet if there's any sign of swelling or pus.

Edited by Reorte
  • Agree 4