The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Model railway clothing

Kris

• RMweb Premium

This just popped up on my Facebook feed, possibly the most relevant bit of advertising I have seen in a while. Would you wear one however?

1138935782_Screenshot2020-08-29at09_00_26.png.117a9e71bc768b7e1ce553748d185216.png

P.S. I've no connection with the company.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Apart from the American loco and British wording. There's a much more important error.. 

No mention of stopping for a Muggacoffee or Tea.. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, ianofsklr said:

image.png

I quite like the speedwhiskers, a fairly abstract design and only a railway enthusiast with an interest in Pilot Series DMUs would make the connection!

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I quite like the speedwhiskers, a fairly abstract design and only a railway enthusiast with an interest in Pilot Series DMUs would make the connection!

Would a similar design based on the Prototype Deltic also work?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 29/08/2020 at 13:39, TheQ said:

Apart from the American loco and British wording. There's a much more important error.. 

No mention of stopping for a Muggacoffee or Tea.. 

American? Cuppamud would be more appropriate! :jester:

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, ianofsklr said:

LMS Princess Coronation Art Deco Stripes.png

Make that five evenly spaced thin stripes and that would be PRR*. :yahoo_mini: The colors are just about right.

Edit 1: *Pennsylvania Rail Road

Edit 2: I do not have the graphics skills to modify the original to show proof-of-concept; however, this photo of one of my GG1s will have to do:

IMG_20160322_181310.jpg.5f2bcb23eda40ce53aaa1dc6e36d9981.jpg

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

You mean that American coffee that you can stand spoons up in? Usually found in diners.

If the spoon remains standing, the coffee is too weak. The handel should topple over as the coffee should have dissolved the spoon! Now that is proper coffee!

Note: I learned to drink coffee in the US Navy. When I was in, the Navy was not fueled with bunker C or uranuim, it ran on coffee, the dregs went into the boilers for fuel.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

If the spoon remains standing, the coffee is too weak. The handel should topple over as the coffee should have dissolved the spoon! Now that is proper coffee!

Note: I learned to drink coffee in the US Navy. When I was in, the Navy was not fueled with bunker C or uranuim, it ran on coffee, the dregs went into the boilers for fuel.

The Royal Navy proudly ran on alcohol and still does.

One of my mates who was in it said that the American sailors were astounded that the British ships weren't dry.

Pub on HMS Queen Elizabeth

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2018/08/20/commence-jealousy-the-royal-navy-just-opened-a-pub-on-its-prized-new-carrier/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

One of my mates who was in it said that the American sailors were astounded that the British ships weren't dry.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2018/08/20/commence-jealousy-the-royal-navy-just-opened-a-pub-on-its-prized-new-carrier/

My late maternal grandfather, who was a chief petty officer in the Royal Navy during World War II, told me about the tea he used to drink when coming off watch when on the Murmansk run. Apparently, it was tea that had been allowed to stew for God knows how long, poured in to an enamel mug with condensed milk, extra sugar (as much as you would want and then some) and a good tot of rum. I’ve not yet been cold enough to try it, but I actually might give it a go at least once this winter, so that I can say I shared one of my grandfather’s experiences.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

My late maternal grandfather, who was a chief petty officer in the Royal Navy during World War II, told me about the tea he used to drink when coming off watch when on the Murmansk run. Apparently, it was tea that had been allowed to stew for God knows how long, poured in to an enamel mug with condensed milk, extra sugar (as much as you would want and then some) and a good tot of rum. I’ve not yet been cold enough to try it, but I actually might give it a go at least once this winter, so that I can say I shared one of my grandfather’s experiences.

Sounds nearly as good/bad* as "Bovril rather heavily laced with sherry" as mentioned in "In Which We Serve"

*Delete as appropriate

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Unfortunately it will not be the same. :( Too many variables.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, relaxinghobby said:

1863510852_carrierpub.png.54ec2393ba73a4a0ddd856d8c0dfb20a.pngSo is that what the second superstructure is, it's very big.

The forward tower is the normal ships Bridge, and has a long range radar on it

The Aft is the Ships Air traffic control,  and has the shorter range radar on it.

Splitting the radars mean the the "blank spots" are a lot smaller.

Air intakes and Exhausts have been distributed between the towers, being gas turbine powered she need a lot of clean air...

For Fathers Day, my daughter got me a tee-shirt that reads-

WARNING

May spontaneously start

talking about trains

Edited by jcm@gwr
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think the Americans got a bit confused.  I thought the "Queen’s Head" was the special facility for Royal visits?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4