York station in the 1950's.

kirtleypete

I’ve just returned from the Warley show. The free BRM show special features this magnificent layout. I’ve just shown my wife, the photographs. We both love to visit this city, and although she is not a railway enthusiast, she enjoys the presence of the great station building ( she likes New York Grand Central as well).

She is amazed by the photographs, quote “ how many times have we walked over that footbridge and seen that clock “ Thank you for an inspirational model.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete, a question if I may. How do you do the window sills? I am making a row of terraced houses but I am going back to the start to fix an error and I think this is something I can improve on. My guess is its a thin piece of card inserted in to the base of the window opening so an allowance is made for this but cut to a depth that still allows the window to be fixed in place.

On 17/11/2023 at 15:14, kirtleypete said:

I realised I'd made a pigs ear of the back of the pub so I've altered it and incorporated the path.  The door to the cellar is a bit low but it will hardly be seen.

a7.jpg.a9f78b7a9cddff1ae289ffc83639e0dc.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 16:56, Harry Lund said:

meanwhile .....  ground texture in the loco yard continues apace.   And the distinctive flower beds between the Down Main and the loco departure sidings.  I've had help with this ....

IMG_2685.jpg.0cc4dc19c1055f0ac3761c57761f0b79.jpgIMG_2684.jpg.97b0cedd98ec349ddc2f5a6afbb8e498.jpg

Giles

Love the garden edging. My front garden has this round it. I have the LNER drawings if they are of any use though it looks like you have it under control. 

• Like 1

Hi LNERGE.  Thanks for your kind comments.  Still a bit of work to do on colouring and texture, and installing the shrubs.   Bit like my own garden!   At some point in the New Year I will remove the boards into the space in the centre of the layout, and weather the Up and Down Mains, and finish these beds.

You mentioned LNER drawings.   Have you got any others?  A drawing of the carriage washing plant would be really helpful!

Giles

• Like 1

On 30/11/2023 at 19:59, Harry Lund said:

Hi LNERGE.  Thanks for your kind comments.  Still a bit of work to do on colouring and texture, and installing the shrubs.   Bit like my own garden!   At some point in the New Year I will remove the boards into the space in the centre of the layout, and weather the Up and Down Mains, and finish these beds.

You mentioned LNER drawings.   Have you got any others?  A drawing of the carriage washing plant would be really helpful!

Giles

I have a couple of versions of the LNER Concrete Articles Catalogue. Gate posts, fence posts, catch pits, signal bases and a bicycle stand!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, kirtleypete said:

Steve, the window sills are simply pieces of square section Plastruct glued in place. Nothing highly technical!  

Thanks. Turns out if I had turned round to the other side of my layout and looked at the station building I did last year I had come up with something similar. :-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Great work Pete, looking mighty fine that terrace.

Remind me your chosen materials?

Slaters plastikard or is it papers? Perhaps neither!

Merry Christmas to you and Giles

Thanks for a great thread

Cheers

Ade

• Like 1

28th December

With the fiddle yard dismantled, I can no longer run trains round the circuit.   I have set myself the target of having the new baseboards and their supporting frames built in their final configuration by the end of January.  I'll post as I go along.

Giles

Edited by Harry Lund
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Wow - that's a very hairy piece of joinery - extremely well executed.  I don't think I'd have tried it - and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have got away with it if I had!

I particularly like the allowance for "inevitable expansion with age" in your design criteria.  Although the doc took me off type 2 diabetes meds after I got down to what he calls "ideal BMI", I put on a stone over Xmas!  Finished eating the leftovers now, so it's time for another diet before he runs another blood test.