Cavalex Models All new RTR HAA and variants in 4mm scale

Grimleygrid

I don’t want it to be said that we don’t pay attention to customers!

Whilst our weathering of the HAAs has been generally well received, it is appreciated that some customers have found it a bit on the heavy side.

E84D3A26-1EF5-4F72-8866-C3768016C4F6.jpeg.4457b5cb7ff98d05bbca9f453428f291.jpeg

The weathering produced thus-far was based on wagons in their late 90s -00s condition.

We have been playing around with the finish, and now have a pattern for an 80s/early 90s condition 

7EB38B40-ED15-47D8-91EE-FDB6F3EE7ACC.jpeg.610ed5d52856b349bfa2feb30e218b84.jpeg

our next batch of weathering will be done to this standard, and we will introduce these as C and D versions (D will have tyre marks)

giving customers the choice of light or heavy weathering.

24716D33-877C-4C3A-B55F-9539392E9408.jpeg.f5a10490d4c5da1977057f66432e1966.jpeg

We will advise when these wagons will be available as we are currently working through several hundred wagons.

E4C83B57-72A0-4719-8390-9DE79E49499B.jpeg.55486b5fae3a3fc4a9fe64e66a336159.jpeg

As before, we will provide an identical batch to KMS Railtech for distribution to their customers.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

HAA Project Update

1842022010_HOPAB(2).jpg.d402cfb0ac8ba9a1bb46201c9b9ef41d.jpg

As the production stage of the process for our HAA project nears completion we wanted to show a pre-production sample of our brown cradle HOP AB. 

These models will be arriving over the next couple of months and available to pre-order from KMS Railtech and Trains4U.

Keep an eye on our website and social media pages for updates.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I've been able to pick up a few packs of these from KMS at Stafford today. The weathering is rather heavy, but I'm on the side of the fence that quite likes them like this. There is one or two places where the weathering hasn't gone on evenly such as the hopper ends and into the lower cradle crevices, but I'll be giving these a bit of a waft over with some brake dust so can touch in the odd patch here and there while I'm at it.

1405004898_Image1.jpeg.bfad32c20202c267d7c933c84d8077a5.jpeg 

By and large very nice they are too. But...there are one or two areas I've noted which have somewhat of an issue with assembly; mostly relating to the couplers and their dovetail mounts but also extends to the brake pads and frame around the axles. Look a bit closer at the pic above...

On roughly half of the wagons I picked up today either the dovetail mount, the brake assembly or both are fixed in place and out of alignment. The dovetail mounts on the hoppers I have show considerable sideways and vertical variances, to the point where it is very difficult to keep a short rake coupled among themselves on my 3rd radius curves. After a bit of bending and twisting, the material used in the NEM dovetail isn't too fond of being tweaked into alignment as so far they have been returning to near original position after a bit of running.

Image.jpeg.543b98d03f7612990eddf634780c0f56.jpeg

This is the view down on the same wagon to wagon of the right hand side in the top pic, so that coupler tweaked off to the side is also pointing up by more than 1mm. Its the same story with the hopper to the left hand side in the first pic too. The very thin profile metal hook doesn't help unfortunately as it has a tendancy to diverge off to the side, which coupled with the misaligned loops means auto uncoupling is rather regular. As I'm not really a tension lock user that isn't too much of an issue for me, but the misalignment of the dovetails goes as far as to cause Kadees to misbehave as well albeit nowhere near as frequently.

836769227_Image2(2).jpeg.cd8ad823be9b9d2185c205e4a6b12ded.jpeg

These brakes work! At first I thought the rolling resistance was the axle retaining frame rubbing on the axle as that too is misaligned a bit and very close to rubbing, but after moving that and the resistance still being present I then noticed the brake shoes.

Without the assembly issues they would be pretty much on par with the Accurascale HAAs (I do prefer the brass bearings and free running that gives mind you), and if its the later reinforced bodies but without the higher speed braking equipment you're after then its these over the Accura HDA release for me. They absolutely trounce the Hornby HAA, so I'll be keeping these, warts n' all. They do seem to need a bit of TLC to get them running right though.

• Like 1

Thank you for the constructive feedback.

the coupling hooks were identified as an issue. A heavier gauge hook is being supplied with the remanufactured wagons.   I am trying to see if spares can be obtained for anyone who might need them.

The vertical height of the couplings seems to be down to the pressure used (or lack of) to fit them.  It ought to be possible to align them by pushing fully home, but I appreciate that this should not be something you, as a customer, should have to do.

with regards the other issues pointed out. These have been brought to the attention of Cavalex, but it I will leave it to them to respond.

• Like 2

After some playing around reliable operation has been achieved with both tension locks and Kadees, though for now the tension locks was by using replacement couplers (36-061). Hopefully the thicker and presumably heavier hooks will have the effect of eradicating the side to side swing so that swapping the couplers isn't needed. I couldn't get the thin hook couplers to behave for love nor money.

Pushing the dovetails home further, on these weathered examples I have at least, turned into a non starter as the mounting started to give way before the dovetail started to move deeper; presumably from the weathering getting into the dovetail interface. I can see exactly what you mean as on a couple the dovetail isn't seated fully home but even then some are fully home and the coupler is still out of alignment both horizontally and vertically too high. In the end I kept damaging the air pipe moulding at one end (Plastic Magic works a treat) faffing with the NEM pocket so my workaround with the height for both tension locks and Kadees has been to bend a knuckle in the coupler itself rather than continue to try and correct the NEM pocket.

For misaligned brakes its not too much faff. Initially I tried pushing a scalpel blade between the wheel and brake and twisting, but that only succeeded in moving the brake out a tiny bit and not enough to be permanent. The best I've found to relieve that has been to remove the axle and then just grip the knuckle on the offending brake calliper with some longnose pliers and torque the caliper open a touch more. On 6 wagons I have had 2 callipers to deal with, but to be honest on wagons without weathering on the wheel face giving a great abrasive surface to grip I think you wouldn't notice the drag in the first place.

IMG_1069.jpg.ff7028f98cb4aa5e055b14a02909f76f.jpg

The 6 Cav HAAs I have currently have been faultless since with 21 Accura HAAs behind them left running for a few hours at a scale 50mph...through a route including the tight inside curve of Peco setrack curved turnouts on my little running in oval. Which is pretty evil, lets be honest and there are a few models out there which refuse to traverse this. I'd have hung more off the back end but my test oval isn't big enough. I'd say issues solved, I'm certainly happy with them now.

For those interested in Kadees, #18 to #18 is viable if you're on more generous curvature and they will tolerate 3rd radius like this with some buffer compression. I've elected for #18 to #19 which leaves a tiny gap as shown above, and when propelled into the curve above results in minimal buffer contact, even through the curved setrack crossover.

Bring on the tyre marked packs, looking forward to a few of those arriving in the next day or so.

• Like 1

A few more Cav HAAs have arrived at the test track, this time the Trains4U tyre marked packs 1 and 3. Compared with the previous two packs (KMS packs 1 and 2), these have proven to be markedly better straight out of the box. They still sport the thin coupler hooks, but the NEM alignment is by and large considerably better, but still a little off on the odd one. And unlike the initial 6, these didn't part company at any given opportunity, they did like to throw one of the hooks to the outside after traversing curves but not once did they fully uncouple.

None of these have any issue whatsoever with the brakes contacting the wheel faces, some are close but not likely to ever pose a problem. Safe to say EM and P4 conversions will require the brakes relocating.

1346931416_T4Utyremarks(1).jpeg.b456990e3bc1c5b7f2382cc3262a63d4.jpeg

1710550244_T4Utyremarks(3).jpeg.9df2a7a559f01ffe378f9c895aeb763d.jpeg

The tyre marks on this half dozen are quite nicely done, weathering is a bit on the heavy side still but a lot more varied than the KMS 6. I'm really warming to these, they're very nicely done in the main. I only hope I can figure another dozen for the goal of a 24 hopper rake which will just about fit the clubs layout before they invariably fly off the shelves.

Edited by Zunnan
  • Like 6

I must say that all of this weathering does appear to be very dark. I've photographed these wagons for more than 30 years and few show the type of filth that these have. Yes the occasional one, but the type of steelwork used resisted a lot of the filth. Yes, the rubber tyre lines do appear good.   https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brhaapost80

Paul

We have been testing out the haulage capability of our forthcoming class 56 on Barrow Hill Junction using 36 of our HAAs. The Trains4U and KMS weathered HAAs proved a suitable and prototypical load for testing the Class 56 sample.

Here are a couple of video clips of the Class 56 pulling the HAAs:

Our thanks to Michael Rhodes for allowing us to run our 56 and HAAs on Barrow Hill Junction.

Michael Rhodes’ Barrow Hill Junction is featured in the latest issue of Hornby Magazine.

• Like 9

All of the HAA family of wagons have now been completed by the factory, split over several batches. These are due to arrive in the UK over the next few weeks with all versions including the CDA variants scheduled to arrive within the next month. 

We will of course keep everyone updated as soon as we know more.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, BR(S) said:

Have the @Trains4U versions C and D with the lighter weathering been produced and sold out, or are they still forthcoming?  Only just seen they were being sold weathered!

Both the T4U and KMS versions of the “C” and “D” weathered HAAs are being worked on currently. 

Some news on the Pristine version imminent too 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 08/07/2022 at 15:07, Grimleygrid said:

Hi Bishdurham,

We are just waiting to hear from the factory on when they will be on their way.
The first and last for Locomotion Models are due to be shipped with the next batch but we are awaiting further information.
We will provide updates as and when we know more.

Hi Grimleygrid,

Gone a bit quiet with these?  Although I thought Locomotion were getting ready.

• Agree 1

There are no problems, the wagons are being shipped as completed so the batches are simply split between consignments. Over the next month we are expecting all wagon variants to make it to the UK after which they will be QC checked personally to ensure they are in spec. The first batches have arrived and undergone QC checks this week with the next batch due imminently.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

So if you pre-ordered, and didn't swap to weathered examples, I expect its a case of keeping calm and waiting on KMS or Trains4u to get in touch. 😅 😆

I still think it was a very brave decision to pull the initial batches. Really shows that Cavalex have a commitment to quality and customer satisfaction. I hope that is rewarded.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes KMS and Trains 4U will get in touch when they are available. I believe that the orders will be fulfilled on a first come first serve basis depending on order date as stocks arrive but it may be worth contacting them direct for clarification.

Thanks for your support on our decision to remake the first batches of HAAs. It was a very difficult, but correct, decision and ultimately a very stressful one, especially with other batches of HAA's tied up in the factory manufacturing slots to get done as well. 

Just now, 47007stratford said:

agreed but better comms would not go a miss

We have communicated all news as soon as we know anything ourselves. There is little point in posting every week simply saying the are waiting on manufacture, shipping etc. We have posted updates whenever something new was available to post. I also posted an update above on the 11th of October stating the current situation.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 minutes ago, 47007stratford said:

agreed but better comms would not go a miss

I think the updates have been perfectly fine. I think it was clear that remaking the batch was going to take a while and it was unclear how long it would take.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1