Cavalex Models All new RTR HAA and variants in 4mm scale

Grimleygrid

We have had some, but not all of the remanufactured wagons delivered 

we are expecting more next week and at least one further batch beyond that.

Until they arrive in the UK and are checked, we don’t know for certain exactly what will be arriving.

right now, we have two of the six red cradle packs, all three packs of our freight brown HOPABs, our yellow coal sector HAAs and EWS HFAs.

(I don’t know what KMS have)

Before we list anything online, we are working through what orders we can fulfil with what we have.  
once the next batch arrives (hopefully at the weekend) we will ship out what we can to anyone who has ordered items from the range delivered to date.

I appreciate that the wait has been frustrating, but please bear in mind, the whole batch has been remade.

not fixed… remade, 

The problem was identified in mid-May

in a little over five months, it has been rectified, tooling modified and thousands and thousands produced, packaged, shipped from China (despite continuing Covid lockdowns and shipping issues) and ready to send out.

That, I think, is pretty remarkable!

I also appreciate that people wish to be better informed, but we can only tell you what we know, which in all honesty, was not a lot.

so now you know what we know.

hopefully by the weekend we can advise what else is available :)

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

22 hours ago, Trains4U said:

We have had some, but not all of the remanufactured wagons delivered 

we are expecting more next week and at least one further batch beyond that.

Until they arrive in the UK and are checked, we don’t know for certain exactly what will be arriving.

right now, we have two of the six red cradle packs, all three packs of our freight brown HOPABs, our yellow coal sector HAAs and EWS HFAs.

(I don’t know what KMS have)

Before we list anything online, we are working through what orders we can fulfil with what we have.  
once the next batch arrives (hopefully at the weekend) we will ship out what we can to anyone who has ordered items from the range delivered to date.

I appreciate that the wait has been frustrating, but please bear in mind, the whole batch has been remade.

not fixed… remade, 

The problem was identified in mid-May

in a little over five months, it has been rectified, tooling modified and thousands and thousands produced, packaged, shipped from China (despite continuing Covid lockdowns and shipping issues) and ready to send out.

That, I think, is pretty remarkable!

I also appreciate that people wish to be better informed, but we can only tell you what we know, which in all honesty, was not a lot.

so now you know what we know.

hopefully by the weekend we can advise what else is available :)

Thanks Gareth!

just to add , we have one red cradle pack and our yellow cradle coal pack for now. We’ve started shipping what we can so far. As a gesture on our part for the delay, we’re shipping what we can now as a part order and will then ship the remaining part of an order when the items arrive. We know you want to get these marvellous models into your hands asap!

Thanks to everyone for their patience and we too are super impressed by the quick turnaround!

• Like 3

Since my Cavalex HOP AB's arrived yesterday, I thought I would have a go at a comparison with the Accurascale equivalents. Since these sort of things can generate quite a bit of debate and even emotion, keep in mind that I have no affiliation with either manufacturer, this is just my own honest assessment. I think both Accurascale and  Cavalex are doing wonderful things for the hobby, and I wish both of them well with these, and future projects.

Please excuse the quality of the photos as at times, they aren't great.

Packaging

Both models come in packs of three in very smart boxes. The Accurascale models are all grouped together in one large box, whereas the Cavalex ones have their own individual smaller boxes, held together by an outer sleeve.

DSC_1620.JPG.3248b43a282adba21fb36a6abbc45d3b.JPG

DSC_1621.JPG.a8ec1bc7ee8b2f97baa0e9b5089e5d2c.JPG

In the box comes a bag of detailing parts. Again the Accurascale ones are all bunched together, whereas the Cavalex ones have an individual bag for each wagon. Of note is that Cavalex have only painted the two brake two pipes (red), whereas the other two pipes are left in black. Accurascale have painted both the brake pipes (red) and the main res pipes (yellow). The Cavalex pipes are curved to represent being secured to the dummy coupling, whereas the Accuracscale ones are more straight to represent an unsecured pipe. 

DSC_1622.JPG.154eb4ddaebc487df95b455989945fe1.JPG

First Impressions

Both wagons look very smart and sit well next to each other. It's clear straight away that Cavalex have gone for a more matt finish than Accurascale, the latter looking more like a brand new wagon, a condition that didn't last long! After weathering I doubt this will be noticeable though. Both really capture the look and bulk of these hoppers. 

DSC_1623.JPG.43857b474ff0cf97755125a66163e80b.JPG

Decoration

As far as decoration is concerned, the Accurascale model (below) wins on the wealth of printed detail. Everything from lamp irons to builders plates have been picked out and text is clearly legible. The only minor thing, and it's minor, is that the OHLE flashes appear slightly larger and perhaps over scale than the Cavalex ones, but that's being really picky. 

DSC_1624.JPG.6e731928646f7c1252d5decdb01bdbf6.JPG

By contrast, the Cavalex model (below) is more modestly decorated, the builders plates for example have been left all black. But in all honesty, anyone planning to weather these will not need to be concerned by this, as all these details were pretty well hidden under a layer of filth!

DSC_1625.JPG.0f2f37089b4b46de86054be7a2421837.JPG

Of note is that in their first run, Cavalex have produced all three of their packs in the original mid 1960's style of Pre-TOPs lettering. Accurascale have produced this version too, but each pack is slightly different in application of livery details, and they have also produced some TOPs versions too. Each Accurascale pack models the changes in decoration that could be found on these wagons from the mid 1960's to the late 1970's. As such, if you model the mid - late 70's, they are all suitable, as it it was a mix of both Pre-TOPs and TOPs markings then.  

Fit & Finish

Not much to choose between the two here. When my Accurascale hoppers arrived a few months back, there were only two parts that had fallen off in the box in total, not bad given I ordered a whole rake! Likewise, one piece of the internal door apparatus within the hopper body had come loose on just one of the Cavalex models. Another Cavalex model seemed to be a bit misfortunate however, and suffered from a few defects. Namely, a cradle that didn't quite sit in the chassis properly, a slightly bent buffer, and a slightly larger whole in the hopper body below one of the supporting struts (picture below), and through this could be seen the brown cradle. This was just ONE wagon though, so not indicative of the standards set across the batch, the rest being very well put together.

DSC_1626.JPG.8796e8e9db292b077b0ab263ac74674b.JPG

Part 2 to follow..........

Edited by Mophead45143
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

A couple more photos showing the two side by side (Accurascale left, Cavalex right). The seam line and wheel arch on the Accurascale model is visible here.

DSC_1639.JPG.528191328fe8a4200f46e969e71f696e.JPG

DSC_1641.JPG.a535b360dc5315b6df0e1acad5e23aa7.JPG

Finally, an image of the two types together in a short rake. The closest three to the camera are Accurascale, the rest Cavalex.

DSC_1635.JPG.e8da98ef6a4fe81c5ab68bfad88cccc5.JPG

Regards,

Cameron

Edited by Mophead45143
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Round of applause 1

Thanks Cameron for the in-depth and fair review. We will of course take any comments that customers make that presents to us as less than delightment and revise the model in those areas for future batches.

Our aim is complete customer satisfaction.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RBE said:

Thanks Cameron for the in-depth and fair review. We will of course take any comments that customers make that presents to us as less than delightment and revise the model in those areas for future batches.

Our aim is complete customer satisfaction.

You've done a lovely job with them overall, and I am certainly very satisfied! I would be interested in more runs of the early HOP AB, both Pre-TOPs and TOPS!

Regards,

Cameron 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RBE said:

Also if you are not happy with the wagon with the 'hole' in it, which is very odd, then we will be happy to replace the model for you. 

Thank you for the kind offer and customer service, but it's something I'm happy to tidy up myself. They'll be getting weathered eventually anyway, so one imperfection won't be noticeable.

Cameron

35 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Thanks thats a very interesting review.

I’m drawn to the “wheel arches” on the picture it doesnt look big, but it shouldnt be there. How obvious is it ?

To be honest, you can only see them when looking directly down from above. My layout, like most, is between waist and chest height, so if the train is halfway across the baseboard, you'll only see part way into the hopper anyway. 

Obviously if you're planning on running them loaded, you don't need to worry!!!

Cameron

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

To be honest, you can only see them when looking directly down from above. My layout, like most, is between waist and chest height, so if the train is halfway across the baseboard, you'll only see part way into the hopper anyway. 

Obviously if you're planning on running them loaded, you don't need to worry!!!

Cameron

Does the shape of the hopper mean they needed to put the arch in? It is a bit odd

I don't think it's hopper shape so much as it's down to manufacturer design decisions. Quite rightly OO back to backs mean that there is less space between them for the hopper body than on the prototype. As a result we have designed our model with the external hopper door level below the solebar at the correct level and because of the necessary material thickness and our door moulding, we have raised the inner floor level by about a millimeter to give clearance for the wheels and negate the wheelarches. Accurascale have also modelled the outer level below the solebar at the correct level, however they have also chosen to go as low as possible internally as well, which is still not quite as low as the prototype due to the real wagon having a 5mm thick skin (which scales to 0.066mm) and the model needing approximately 1 to 1.5mm of plastic in order to mould. This has resulted in introducing the wheelarches internally to account for it. It all comes down to design considerations at the end of the day and we chose to make the internal level of the hopper doors slightly less deep, and thus more plastic in the door thickness to accommodate the wheels and avoid visible wheelarches that aren't on the prototype over trying to get the internal floor a tad nearer to the correct level. 

Edited by RBE
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

Happy to have picked up two packs of HOPABs off Trains4U at Spalding show. Couldn’t get them on the layout as had no suitable EM wheels in my box and none on sale but I’m sure I’ll have them converted soon.

A very lovely model. Can’t wait for my preordered red & yellow packs to arrive over next few weeks. I can then set to weathering them into 1990 Scotland condition.

On 03/11/2022 at 13:08, Mophead45143 said:

DSC_1633.JPG.4d3e28393161cab88351ac49b5e92018.JPG

The Cavalex model wins on close coupling, as can be seen in the pictures (Accurascale above, Cavalex below). That being said, some of the Cavalex coupling weren’t that straight, and didn’t naturally line up properly. The Accurascale ones have a lot more play, but they always return ‘home’. However, I haven’t noticed issues with either model on my points / curves when being pulled or propelled.

Cameron,

Thank you for your review, very helpful. I received some wagons today. The reason the coupling at one end is not straight is the distributer has small pipes which push the coupling to one side. These pipes could be cut off if necessary. 

Cheers.

Edited by Lyddrail
spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

HAA Project Update

1568765537_CMHAARedcradle(2)copy.jpg.4347024191d8887efd0c95604bb9904e.jpg

We are pleased to have received the first two batches of our HAA project which have been delivered to KMS Railtech and Trains4U. The factory is working hard to deliver the rest of the range as soon as practically possible.

456026543_HAArange-Nov2022-(1).jpg.8a891d8c24ca532878a480d42790df9e.jpg

We would like to thank everyone for their patience and understanding over the past few months during this challenging period.
The factory will be sending the remainder of the range in batches over the next month.
Updates will be provided as and when more information becomes available.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Picked up my first batch of these. I have to say they are mint.  Apart from being a superb rendition of the real thing they have been a doddle to convert to P4.  Great to see the promise to deliver a P4/EM compatible HAA carried through.  Dropped a set of Blackbeetle’s in and we are off. Superb. 

46073165-B840-404F-B5AD-4FAFCD5A245A.jpeg

F93ABDA2-D188-4DD8-BA4A-342307AA5674.jpeg

• Like 2

Great to chat to both Alex and Cav over the Warley weekend.  As a Cornish modeller, I am excited to see the exquisite rendition of the tarpaulin covers on the CDAs.  

This is another livery worth considering.  Note how the ECC logo on the side has been removed but you can still see the edge of the blue ‘box’ of colour.  We (Redruth MRC) have modelled this using Hornby wagons.4F830DB2-8278-4F2C-B395-B3786441A7FA.jpeg.35b0415f3ec7195c033a90ec69dd9479.jpeg

537CB848-E1AE-4E2C-AFB3-DAB0E2B668F8.jpeg

5FFD786E-71C1-41F3-BDB6-3467A0AB19E0.jpeg

Edited by mevaman1
Typo
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, mevaman1 said:

Great to chat to both Alex and Cav over the Warley weekend.  As a Cornish modeller, I am excited to see the exquisite rendition of the tarpaulin covers on the CDAs.  

This is another livery worth considering.  Note how the ECC logo on the side has been removed but you can still see the edge of the blue ‘box’ of colour.  We (Redruth MRC) have modelled this using Hornby wagons.

I badger Alex and Cav about this every time I see them (and Will even more frequently), though in reality I will be removing the logo from my first 6 (or 8) and then weathering.

Do you have any more close ups of the real thing like the photo you shared?  Ideal inspiration for weathering

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I badger Alex and Cav about this every time I see them (and Will even more frequently), though in reality I will be removing the logo from my first 6 (or 8) and then weathering.

Do you have any more close ups of the real thing like the photo you shared?  Ideal inspiration for weathering

I’ll take a look through my CDA photos and share any more that I have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I never realised the outline was blue, I was always under the impression it was grey for some reason (with the mark being left when the blue ecc vinyls peeled off).  

how did you go about modelling it last time?  My thinking was tending toward drawing a transfer for the thin surround