Cavalex Models All new RTR HAA and variants in 4mm scale

Grimleygrid

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, WILLIAM said:

I've received a payment request today from KMS Railtech for the HAAs I've pre-ordered from them so I assume these will be arriving in stock shortly.

Just been told that they are being air freighted and are all packed up ready to come 🙂

Roy

• Like 1

Hi

Well, it appears that the cat is out of the bag.

We (Cavalex, KMS and ourselves) were planning on waiting until the models sere in the air before making an announcement 

I can confirm that the red cradle variants are with the freight handler in China, awaiting a flight to the UK, but there are continued regional covid lockdowns occurring which is impacting the shipping process (hence wanting certainty of an actual flight) but we are anticipating that they will leave China this week.

The remaining wagons (HOP ABs, CDAs, HFAs and coal and blue HAAs) are entering the final phases of production and will be shipped by Sea once complete.

I cannot speak for KMS, but we will soon be contacting customers for payment for the red cradle hoppers.

customers who have also ordered other wagons in the range will be offered free postage on the balance of the order, which will arrive later this Summer (we won’t ask for payment until they arrive)

As soon as they are on a plane, we’ll let you know!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

HAA Arrival

IMG_8385.jpg.02713735221cb3b333f88316e4f583c7.jpg

Our first shipment of HAAs have arrived with us in the UK ready for QC checks - before being distributed to Trains4U and KMS Railtech next week. Thanks to everyone who has supported our HAA project; we cannot wait to see them on modeller’s layouts!

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

What an absolute shame. I was really looking forward to the first and last set. This will hopefully not impact too much on the company. The BBA's are excellent models and hopefully the same problems wont befall the class 56 project. 

Fingers crossed.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Krieghoff said:

What an absolute shame. I was really looking forward to the first and last set. This will hopefully not impact too much on the company. The BBA's are excellent models and hopefully the same problems wont befall the class 56 project. 

Fingers crossed.

The problem isn’t severe, but it is enough that, if left, could have resulted in criticism more damaging than choosing not to release them.

It was an avoidable assembly mistake that couldn’t have been foreseen by anyone in the UK, especially as factory visits are a no-go at the moment.

These things happen occasionally unfortunately, 

It makes me wonder how many models land with other suppliers that never see the light of day…?

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

28 minutes ago, Krieghoff said:

Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your comment, the first and last wagons for locomotion were not part of the first delivery so we are confident that those will soon be delivered without issue.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Whilst I am sad to hear that there is a delay in dispatch of these as I was looking forward to receiving mine, I am comforted that you've taken the decision you have here. 

To stand up and say 'wait there's a problem' and go though all the trouble of getting that problem rectified is something to be applauded. I do wonder if Hornby ever do anything like this given some of the criticism about QC they get and seemingly ignore.

I also think your decision here should be applauded because both yourselves and Accurascale have ended up releasing HAA's. Duplication that was unavoidable given both of you were far too far along the development process to be able to pull out.

There will be comparisons between both offerings. Given your version is retailing at a higher price point, if you had shipped them with a flaw than I think more 'unfair' comparisons would have been made. 

Again, a very hard decision which I for one hope pays dividends for you in the longer term. Is it a case of them going back to the Factory to be fixed and refinished or is it a case of them being completely scrapped and a new batch made?

• Agree 7

20 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

Whilst I am sad to hear that there is a delay in dispatch of these as I was looking forward to receiving mine, I am comforted that you've taken the decision you have here. 

To stand up and say 'wait there's a problem' and go though all the trouble of getting that problem rectified is something to be applauded. I do wonder if Hornby ever do anything like this given some of the criticism about QC they get and seemingly ignore.

I also think your decision here should be applauded because both yourselves and Accurascale have ended up releasing HAA's. Duplication that was unavoidable given both of you were far too far along the development process to be able to pull out.

There will be comparisons between both offerings. Given your version is retailing at a higher price point, if you had shipped them with a flaw than I think more 'unfair' comparisons would have been made. 

Again, a very hard decision which I for one hope pays dividends for you in the longer term. Is it a case of them going back to the Factory to be fixed and refinished or is it a case of them being completely scrapped and a new batch made?

Thank you for your kind words. Although the issue was minor it was enough for us to not be satisfied with them given our ethos. The factory is producing replacement wagons rather than fixing rhe current batch in order to rectify the problem as quickly as possible and ensure the best possible finish to the models.

Regards

Cav

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, Trains4U said:

It makes me wonder how many models land with other suppliers that never see the light of day…?

I know of two multiple unit models from different manufacturers, one with an assembly error that would have prevented correct orientation of the cars and one with a transposed number, that would have made it to market if I hadn't spotted the faults while reviewing the advance samples for Rail Express and informed the companies. The first was corrected in the UK and the other the shipment was halted and returned to the factory. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Have they actually landed and left the boat?  Or was the error caught before final shipping?

TBH, it would be a shame to know finished models had gone to landfill.

I was quite happy to buy the unfortunately small Footplate Salmons at a discounted price. 

• Agree 2

Very much admire your honesty and professionalism on this difficult decision you have taken.

However, provided the issue was not related to the running of the wagon I for one would definitely have been interested in buying some at a reduced price if the issue was clearly stated. Particularly if you have lost out financially by scrapping the models completely. A bit like what Hatton's did with the Class 66.

Was this considered?

The wagons had been delivered to us and it was our own personal QC checks that has picked up the issue. The error does not effect the running of the wagons at all, it was certain detail parts that were not fitted correctly so detracted from appearance of the model as a whole.

We have not yet decided what will happen with the incorrectly made stock.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, RBE said:

The wagons had been delivered to us and it was our own personal QC checks that has picked up the issue.

Also I don't want to sound like I'm ambulance chasing for a low price 🙂 

I've been on the wrong end of ordering batch production that turns out to have unacceptable flaws, you have my sympathy.

Edited by andythenorth

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, RBE said:

We have not yet decided what will happen with the incorrectly made stock.

Ok  you have inaccurate HAAs. The answer is obvious  put them in red boxes and charge more for them.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

To the guys at Cavalex.

For what its worth, i would advertise them as incorrectly assembled and at a discounted price. If they are to be 'written off' it would be such a shame for them to end up simply being thrown away or packed away in a dark corner of a warehouse. I am sure that good use would be made of them by modelers in general and as always, everyone loves a bargain.

Its worth consideration

• Like 2
  • Agree 4