Burnstow Dock (inspired by Ipswich/Great Yarmouth)

7 hours ago, Ramrig said:

Only just caught up on this thread, the only thing I would say is I’m sure I have read/seen somewhere that if you run PVC coated wiring through polystyrene one attacks the other, something to do with the plasticisers, and you end up with a gooey mess. Might be worth a quick google before you start 

For once my lack of progress has been my salvation! Thanks for that heads up - I shall indeed do some Google "research" before applying any glue to anything. I thought it was too easy! I've been watching @NHY 581's new build and he used mdf on top of his baseboard to create height for a river bank...

Wonder how people with foamboard baseboards have got on? I'm guessing that isn't the same stuff, as it is quite a bendy type of foam as opposed to the brittle and easily snapped stuff I've got.

ONE STEP FORWARD, TWO BACK!

On 20/08/2021 at 09:40, Ramrig said:

Hi Steve. Only just caught up on this thread, the only thing I would say is I’m sure I have read/seen somewhere that if you run PVC coated wiring through polystyrene one attacks the other, something to do with the plasticisers, and you end up with a gooey mess. Might be worth a quick google before you start 

Steve aka Ramrig.

PS still not finished my Skirted Drewry 04 yet. Still in primer and it’s for a very long in the future Wisbech based layout along with my J70 tram. I will look out who I purchased the 3D printed parts off and post on here if that’s ok with you?

3D printed parts supplier - yes please

On 20/08/2021 at 00:40, Ramrig said:

PS still not finished my Skirted Drewry 04 yet. Still in primer and it’s for a very long in the future Wisbech based layout along with my J70 tram. I will look out who I purchased the 3D printed parts off and post on here if that’s ok with you?

Hi Steve @Ramrig - rude of me, didn't say that OF COURSE it is okay to post here about your 3D printed parts! My own 'bits of skirt' have halted whilst I've tried to sort the loft out - it's turned into a much bigger job than expected!

HOURS OF FUN SORTING OUT!

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, chesterfield said:

3D printed parts supplier - yes please

10 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Hi Steve @Ramrig - rude of me, didn't say that OF COURSE it is okay to post here about your 3D printed parts! My own 'bits of skirt' have halted whilst I've tried to sort the loft out - it's turned into a much bigger job than expected!

HOURS OF FUN SORTING OUT!

I will do, but it will be towards the end of this week (Friday) before I have a chance to find the paperwork 

Steve

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

It has been quite a while since I updated here, mainly because of trying to reorganise the loft and focussing upon Blackford Wharf, which has gradually morphed into a C&HPR inspired exchange yard!

However, whilst looking through photographs I had saved onto my computer, I was looking at various photos of lorries serving the flour mills at Ipswich Wet Dock, and so down an eBay rabbit hole I dived, looking for suitable diecast vehicles.

As this will be "Ipswich-inspired", I have not concerned myself with replicating the exact types of vehicles or worried about original liveries. Having said that, as my other "inspirational" setting is Laughing Image Corner and the "hole in the wall" through to the coal yard at Great Yarmouth, Lancon's Brewery also features in my mind's eye, as I plan on including a representation of the Tolly Cobold Brewery on the layout, too.

And so I find myself in possession of the following, mostly by EFE:

1 x AEC Mammoth Major 3 axle flatbed, Ranks Flour livery, Blue Cross Meals covered load

1 x AEC Mammoth Major 3 axle tanker, Ranks Flour

1 x AEC Mammoth Major 4 axle box van, Lancons (Brewery, Gt Yarmouth) livery

1 x AEC Mammoth Major 4 axle dropside (covered), Lancons livery

1 x Atkinson Borderer articulated (2 axle + 2  flatbed, Eddie Stobart livery*

1 x Bristol HA6LL articulated (2 axle + 2 axle) flatbed, BRS Steel (Peech & Tozer) livery*

2 x AEC Mercury articulated (2 axle + 1 axle) flatbed, British Railways [Oxford]

AEC Mammoth articulated (2 axle + 2 axle) flatbed, Pickfords (with sack load)

AEC Ergomatic 2 axle flatbed 'brewer's dray', Federation Brewery livery* (with barrels)

Looking at the list above, I can see they are mostly AEC Mammoth vehicles, but doing some research on the web I found that both flour mills and breweries tended to run fleets of identical vehicles to simplify maintenance, so no worries!

Hoping to replicate the loads provided on some vehicles, and have also ordered resin loads for lighters etc.

I'll photograph them once I've collected the newest purchases from my click and collect point.

Items marked * are planned to be repainted into fictional liveries to suit the layout... eventually!

HOURS OF BRUM BRUM FUN!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Focused update upon Blackford Wharf
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

As mentioned elsewhere, I decided to rename my C&HPR-inspired exchange yard layout Blackford Wharf after Cromford Wharf (the change in name effectively being the first syllable of the the first word). Meanwhile, Woodhey Quay keeps its name (it sounds rural, although maybe it should be Creek or Riverside instead of Quay - the jury (me) is still out on that!) and my ultra micro DRS Engineering also retains its name, being a tribute to my late father (DRS being his initials). Equally, I am happy with the title Broadhaven for my Newhaven reimagined train ferry layout.

So, what to call an Ipswich/Great Yarmouth inspired layout? I’ve toyed with the idea of using local names to where I live, but seeing the Fake Britain map on the Theory of General Minories thread (copied below) has made me have a rethink…

• Ipford 
  • Midwich
  • Seaburgh
  • Burnstow

Or if anyone else wants to throw a vaguely Eastern region sounding name at me suitable for a quayside layout, please feel free to do so!

Busy weekend ahead with rehearsals and concerts, so pondering over a layout name is possibly the only thing I’ll get done in the next few days.

HOURS OF FUN!

1C1FBCF9-0862-4076-A93E-C9CBF5A893BD.jpeg.aa9a0f05cd270467842fe1ec158fb8e6.jpeg

Edited by SteveyDee68
Added map

• SteveyDee68 changed the title to Ipswich/Great Yarmouth inspired dockside layout

I seem to have missed this thread and have only just picked up on it with the name change!

Here is one I made earlier....

DSCF5976.JPG.e4b4c7f361c4f926af4055b30f67c73a.JPG

DSCF5977.JPG.ca1cb2193739ac21f0d32106275d5a1f.JPG

DSCF5978.JPG.6d44592be5aaf19156e3501f9f1e8d8e.JPG

A bit restricted with space and still a work in progress as well.

The orange Scarab is an Ipswich Dock Commission one, whilst the dark green vehicles with red wheels/underframes are R&W Paul ones.

Edited by Johann Marsbar
Replaced photos
  • Like 6

On 31/03/2021 at 00:15, SteveyDee68 said:

And after all that, I am looking at the "customs house" and thinking that there just doesn't seem to be enough room in front for pedestrians to walk without being flattened by a passing wagon! Maybe another warehouse or a brewery type building instead?

As seen from the selection of buildings below, I have been saving inspirational images for quite a while! Given the large concrete silos and expanse of corrugated iron/weatherboarded structures already in mind, all rather utilitarian in design, I'm thinking something with more complicated rooflines and windows for contrast.

Eagle eyed readers will recognise Lancons Brewery from Great Yarmouth, and part of the Snape maltings complex. Perhaps the Exeter warehouses are too 'out of region' and the canal warehouse (crikey, where was that from?!*) simply too mundane to provide enough contrast to the other planned buildings.

I sense more mock ups!

HOURS OF FUN!

* Stourbridge! 

Lancons Brewery #1

IMG_0731.JPG

In case you have the urge to reproduce the Lacons Brewery Stores, I did take this photo of their Falcon logo on the building before it was demolished and replaced by the nondescript Aldi store that now occupes the site.....

88-213.JPG.5003982f8e85c509b47224779847f613.JPG

Edited by Johann Marsbar
Replaced photos
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

In case you have the urge to reproduce the Lacons Brewery Stores, I did take this photo of their Falcon logo on the building before it was demolished and replaced by the nondescript Aldi store that now occupes the site.....

88-213.JPG.9ed0fa702bd3de79d29bfbca6827bd6e.JPG

Thanks for posting your image @Johann Marsbar - that's probably the best one I have seen of the logo on that building.

You may have missed this thread, but I have images of your own model saved from off the internet in my "inspirations" folder; I have quite a lot of old B&W photos of the R&W Paul brick warehouse to the left of your group of model buildings, too.

But I do like the fact that you have modelled the river wharf, with just the end of the wet dock locked into the corner by the end if the dock, which then allows you to run trains past the buildings and thereby onto the opposite side of the wet dock, where there were plenty of sidings for marshalling trains. I must resist the urge to reimagine my own model in a similar way - it would need to be deeper front to back, I think, and also longer, although that river bank/outer dock wall would be the perfect place for a baseboard joint...

Hmmmm....

HOURS OF FUN!

Somewhere on a CD i've got a selection of colour photos of R&W Paul lorries taken in the 1950's that came from their archives - will have to try and find them.

Their original colour scheme was green and red, as per this Scarab that we've restored in recent years....

19-156.jpg.8fbb82663178a529836321fbbe4bb3ce.jpg

...but the corporate scheme later changed to this turquoise colour....

11-2614.jpg.1acfbb0fd0c7213b3de88f1884620675.jpg

Edited by Johann Marsbar
Replaced photos
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, bazzer42 said:

If it was a vote on the four names I'm for Burnstow.

It wasn't* but I like the way you @bazzer42 and @RobAllen are thinking!

* I just pulled off the four most 'Eastern region' names I spotted on the map!

Another naming issue to consider ...

R & W Paul and Cranfield Brothers (plus also the Burtons biscuit factory) are closely associated with Ipswich and its wet dock area - I really like the industrial architecture, but would like to replace the actual business names with something appropriate but avoiding setting the location quite as rigidly.

Lancoms Brewery is about to be transported away from Great Yarmouth, possibly using buildings based upon the Tolly Cobold Brewery buildings which actually exist  at Ipswich. Lancoms may be retained because I have two road vehicles in their livery already!

Suggestions for alternatives gratefully accepted!

Ponderings ...

R&W Paul ---> L&P McCartney    A&L Webber   ?!

Cranfield Brothers ---> Gershwin Brothers   ?!

Bring them on!!

This is one of the Cranfields ERF tractor units that were used for shunting trailers, seen on the quayside in 1992.....

92-339.JPG.d44b091154df0feaac184941b249d819.JPG

I did manage to persuade them to give one to us when they were withdrawn but it is displayed in as withdrawn condition at the moment. I think ours is an M reg one.

The "Trackside" diecast ones are ideal for modelling one of these and I did paint one up in their later yellow/white/brown colours, but it's a bit too modern for my layout!

Edited by Johann Marsbar
Replaced photos
  • Like 1

It's great to see this thread alive again (even if it still has very little modelling in it :P). I do like browsing the selection of inspiration pictures, it's great food for thought - not that I need any of that...

Of the four names suggested I think "Burnstow" is pretty solid as a non-specific place name. "Ipford" and "Midwich" still have too strong a resemblance to Ipswich, and "Seaburgh" just doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely. Or you could do what I've done, and name the layout after the dock/wharf etc rather than the place, keeps it much more generic!

• Like 1

Basing buildings upon those at Ipswich will definitely give the layout an Ipswich "look" but I don 't want to be slavish and/or restricted, hence the thoughts about changing the business names. Like a kind of "Doctor Who Alternative Universe" type thing, where things look familiar but are not quite the same.

Of course, that also means I can simplify buildings or plain old get them "wrong" and simply say, "But it's not meant to be Ipswich!

Thank you for the photo of the ERF  tractor unit @Johann Marsbar - anything else you may have - and are willing to share - please feel free to post up into the thread! I'd been looking at another photo showing a lorry on the quayside and trying to work out what make it was - it certainly looked similar to some of the diecast models available. Do you have any photos of lorry liveries during the 1950s/60s by any chance? 

Thanks for the kind remarks @TechnicArrow - I could say exactly the same about your thread*! I have been busy pottering away on my Blackford Wharf layout (the other one, latterly called Castlebrook Sidings) but having progressed that to a point where renaming it became (in my mind) a necessity, it has focussed my mind back upon this layout for a bit, particularly with regard to its size!

At this moment, the baseboard is a single board exactly four feet long by approx 16 inches wide (don't ask!) but I am finding myself asking whether it should be just a touch longer? Seeing @Johann Marsbar's interpretation with the line running around across the end of the wet dock has made me have another think. I really want to (somehow) include a lifting bridge based upon the old POLA/Airfix kit; and I want to (somehow) return to my original inspiration for the layout, the "hole in the wall" at Great Yarmouth North Quay. I have an idea (or two) which I may sketch out tomorrow and post up here - feedback very appreciated!

HOURS OF FUN!

* Upon re-reading this comment, I realise that only part of your comment is applicable - about it being "great to see this thread alive again", as unlike my efforts there is always lots of bona fide modelling taking place whenever you update your threads!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Clarification

There are a few Cranfields lorry photos - mainly Commers - on this site, including one in colour....

https://catalogue.millsarchive.org/cranfields-flour-mill-ipswich?page=1&sortDir=asc&sort=lastUpdated&listLimit=20

Canterbury Minature Commercials used to make a whitemetal kit of that type of Commer and I have one on my layout (visible in the first 2 photos). They are long out of production, but I think you can find suitable cabs of that style from another manufacturer.

I simplified most of the buildings on my layout but still ensured that they looked like the ones they are supposed to represent and none of them are anywhere near scale dimensions.  This includes things like the bus depot and loco depot/offices - the latter being based on the 1950's Ipswich buildings. I've still got to build the coaling tower and come up with something in low-relief to represent one of the buildings on New Cut East (long demolished) for behind the sidings that the curving branch track in the photos leads to.  I have a number of "local" vehicles on the layout, most of which are repaints from diecasts or kit built, for the likes of Ipswich Co-Op, Ipswich Corporation, Bickers, and Pauls.

I assume you are aware of this site for Ipswich Dock images...?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/imt_image_archive/albums

Edited by Johann Marsbar
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Johann Marsbar said:

There are a few Cranfields lorry photos - mainly Commers - on this site, including one in colour....

https://catalogue.millsarchive.org/cranfields-flour-mill-ipswich?page=1&sortDir=asc&sort=lastUpdated&listLimit=20

Canterbury Minature Commercials used to make a whitemetal kit of that type of Commer and I have one on my layout (visible in the first 2 photos). They are long out of production, but I think you can find suitable cabs of that style from another manufacturer.

Road Transport Images do the Commer QX cab

https://www.roadtransportimages.com/shop/product/commer-qx-mkv-single-piece-screen-1958-cab-with-vac-glazing

-if you are willing to modify a diecast model that came with a different cab.

Alternatively, Base Toys used make this type of Commer as a flatbed and as a dropside.  They are now out of production but you might find one secondhand.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 05/12/2021 at 07:29, Moxy said:

Road Transport Images do the Commer QX cab

https://www.roadtransportimages.com/shop/product/commer-qx-mkv-single-piece-screen-1958-cab-with-vac-glazing

-if you are willing to modify a diecast model that came with a different cab.

Alternatively, Base Toys used make this type of Commer as a flatbed and as a dropside.  They are now out of production but you might find one secondhand.

Hope this helps.

The annoying thing is that when I first got involved with the ITM in the late 1970's, we had one of those ex-Cranfields Commers in the form of an artic tractor unit, as our tow truck.....

80-568.JPG.139d617ef5790aa3e65e104b7d94c616.JPG

...but it eventually rusted away and was replaced by an ex army WW2 Chevrolet C60S, with the Commer being scrapped. It would have made a nice exhibit in its own right nowadays!

We have got a Green & Skinner 1970 Commer TS3 in the collection though, so that marque is still represented.

Edited by Johann Marsbar
Replaced photos
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, sb67 said:

@Johann Marsbar Fab layout, have you any details of the build on here at all? 

Afraid not.  The"Dock" boards started off as the first part of what was going to be a large loft-based layout about 20 years ago, which would have incorporated (albeit rather condensed) versions of Ipswich/Westerfield/Derby Road/Felixstowe Town, which I still have the original track plan for somewhere.

For a variety of reasons, that was never built, but the dock and "lower yard" boards eventually became part of an L-shaped layout in a spare room and is now a U-shaped layout at a different house!

Am hoping to get the thing finished off over the coming winter, once I've completed the final parts of my US outline N layout which is located at a lower level beneath the OO one....

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• SteveyDee68 changed the title to Burnstow Dock (inspired by Ipswich/Great Yarmouth)
  • 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year!

Burnstow Dock (as now known) has for some time taken rather a backseat to my Blackford Wharf layout, but reading back through this thread over the past day the thought has struck me that perhaps I have asked too much of my four feet long quasi-micro layout! (I say “quasi” because it is wider than 12 inches, and so the total area exceeds the “four square feet” definition of a micro layout.)

I like the complexities of track work that I have arrived at through experimentation, but am also unhappy at the short siding lengths and/or lack of quayside that results from the constraints of the baseboard length. And I have no real on-scene shunting necks to carry out stock movements upon, also due to the short baseboard. The nature of the buildings I am inspired by also need just a little more space to allow them to ‘breathe’, as it were. In my minds eye, I wanted to avoid a backscene as such, and instead rely upon the towering dockside buildings to form a natural backdrop to the activities in front (and below) them. Sight blocker structures at each end would also create scenic breaks for trains to arrive on-scene, avoiding the ‘hole in a backscene’ effect.

So I have decided that, for the moment, I am going to focus upon mocking up the buildings and arranging them until I achieve something that artistically pleases my eye and also ‘feels right’; only then am I going to work out how to best serve them by rail (and road, being a dock side location). Hopefully some of the more complex point formations I have already built might fit the plan I eventually arrive at. Only then will I build the baseboards, designed to fit the plan and not the other way around.

To me this all seems a bit ‘about face’ to a normal build, but then again why not? After all, it is now 2022 and all bets are off!

Here’s to a happy, healthy and productive new year for everyone on RMWeb!

Steve S

• Like 1

For anybody interested in Snape Maltings, thank @dpaws for bringing the following to light:

IMG_4942.jpeg.f47ae6d876e91c0221d56546adf6f86a.jpeg

Also available in a mirror image with the arch at the right hand end:

IMG_4941.jpeg.a82004a8b5ae24c4154f1e6ae6a25a81.jpeg

It isn’t an exact replication of the original (check the door and window placement around the stairs) but pop a lustrum over the fourth ‘panel’ from the left and it is pretty damn close! Link below to the website (where more structures are now available since I last visited, including these same maltings frontages in 7mm/four scale!)*

https://www.lasercutrailwaymodels.co.uk/OO-GAUGE-LEFT-HAND-MALTINGS-LOW-PROFILE

HOURS OF FUN!

* Already fighting off thoughts of an O gauge Inglenook, using these as the background!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Restored photos
  • Like 4