RMweb

What to do with old Tri-ang Princesses....

33C

I made a bogie tender from  a Tri-ang Transcontinental  Box car suitably shortened,  Davy Crockett body  shortened (to 4-6-0) Princess chassis  Jinty Driving Wheels ettc.

Edited by DCB
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

The acetate ones sagged, aye, been meaning to pick up a polystyrene one for a while, and the later production ones with the A3 tender? An odd choice in my opinion, did the bogie-tender cast just get too worn out?

It was said that the Scotsman tender made it look more like an Australian loco.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sandwich station said:

It was said that the Scotsman tender made it look more like an Australian loco.

I saw a Hiawatha on eBay painted with red accents, chassis block, and wheels, akin to German locos (shared on the “a wild kitbash appeared” thread)

A modified Scotsman tender to look more German, painted up with red frames & wheels, accompanied by the paint mods described, maybe a few body mods too, and you could have a German-looking Pacific?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

The acetate ones sagged, aye, been meaning to pick up a polystyrene one for a while, and the later production ones with the A3 tender? An odd choice in my opinion, did the bogie-tender cast just get too worn out?

Hi Hackworth,

The use of the A3 tender on the Hiawatha pacific was a deliberate choice for sale in Australia.

https://tri-ang.weebly.com/4-6-2-steam-loco--tender.html

• Like 1

Would be of good use to me.. Though I’m off to Severn Valley next weekend, trying to keep some cash aside so I can go to Bewdley… Maybe they’ll have some affordable Princesses there.

Speaking of Severn Valley… I decided to check out Footplate Models of Kidderminster on my last trip, they had two Triang Princess (or was it one Princess and a Scotsman? I remember at least one was a Princess), both without tenders, I asked how much the two guys wanted for both Princesses… “Sorry, they have no tenders, we’re breaking them up for spares.”

The men running the place are good people, and they have reasonable prices on certain models, it was my first trip there, but I’d be lying if I said it was somewhat annoying. Alas, I left empty handed, but all in all it was a good day, so I didn’t let that put a damper on my mood.

• Like 2

So… I finally sorted out the Northern chassis!

A bit of fettling with the milliput and it rolls decently, binds up every now and then, but for the most part operates in a satisfactory manner!

Now… What to do for the body…

IMG_7933.jpeg.8530efbebe369d12e72d2ce890eb242b.jpeg

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I’ve also been thinking more on a Triang Castle…

This chassis is going towards another project, shan’t say what until I have it done, but a B12/Hall chassis with cylinders from a Princess, much similar to the B12/Hall chassis under the Kitmaster BoB kit, and it looks like it’ll be perfect for a Castle… The Princess boiler and frames might go to good use for a Castle, paired up with a Hall’s tender… 

IMG_7929.jpeg.5c024c181962298e3c8be0a24aa47aa2.jpeg

I’m getting ahead of myself though, this chassis is going to something totally unrelated, the parts I need for it should arrive within the next week…

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

42 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

I’ve also been thinking more on a Triang Castle…

This chassis is going towards another project, shan’t say what until I have it done, but a B12/Hall chassis with cylinders from a Princess, much similar to the B12/Hall chassis under the Kitmaster BoB kit, and it looks like it’ll be perfect for a Castle… The Princess boiler and frames might go to good use for a Castle, paired up with a Hall’s tender… 

IMG_7929.jpeg.5c024c181962298e3c8be0a24aa47aa2.jpeg

I’m getting ahead of myself though, this chassis is going to something totally unrelated, the parts I need for it should arrive within the next week…

Hi Hacksworth. It might have been simpler to use the chassis from an original Triang Black 5. Basically the same chassis with better valve gear. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Paleopotato09 said:

I stumbled upon these and wondered if they'd be of any use to the people here 

They're really interesting, probably worth posting again on the "Imaginary Locomotives" thread.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, cypherman said:

Hi Hacksworth. It might have been simpler to use the chassis from an original Triang Black 5. Basically the same chassis with better valve gear. 

Not really after accuracy with that idea… Triang produced the Castle for TT3 in the late 50s, and I’ve always wondered how it’d look if they attempted one for OO, granted, there was no need to, as Dublo beat them to it, but it’s always interested me… Likewise with the other TT3 exclusives like the Merchant, Prairie, and the two French locos, what if they were produced by Triang in OO?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

I just remembered I have some 3D printed faces for the Thomas & friends character Henry

I will struggle to sleep tonight having seen those 😂

PS Did you manage to find a front pony and tender draw bar for your 8f?

Cheers, Rich

1 hour ago, TinTracks said:

PS Did you manage to find a front pony and tender draw bar for your 8f?

Cheers, Rich

Managed to build a drawbar for the 8F from plasticard, and I’ve got a front bogie (if you count a friend saying he has one for you, but having not gone to his place to pick it up yet as having one), still need to sort out the rewind though.

1 hour ago, TinTracks said:

I will struggle to sleep tonight

having seen those 😂

They’re pretty accurate to the actual faces used on the props, you’ve got to give the designer that… My janky, hand painted finish doesn’t help though, got them all soaking in some Dettol now, going to spray them this weekend…

• Like 2

I wonder which I’ll finish first…

IMG_8103.jpeg.f5310519966b7523e9730e4236789aa3.jpeg

At the rear is the 4-8-4 chassis, just needs a motor, front is one I started but haven’t shown off yet, which I’m considering turning into Henry now, need to remove the steam chest if I’m to make him though, and in the centre? I finally bit the bullet and decided to attempt a Princess to Castle conversion! Need to shorten the boiler and smokebox, then scratchbuild a new cab..

• Like 4

On 17/02/2024 at 21:21, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Hope these photos are of use, chassis is pictured on Triang series 3 curves (I believe they’re equivalent to modern UK radii 1 and 2)

The current geometry is the same as Super4  radii 1, 2 & 3.  Series 3 was the same as the earlier 'Standard' track with different radii that do not directly equate.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Informative/Useful 4

Good news… I finally got the 4-8-4 chassis working! Runs surprisingly well, now to see how long until my wood + milliput bearing wears out!

Bad news… I’m stumped on what to do with it! Been considering all sorts of things, P2, P1 (shorten to a 2-8-2 for both), some crazy freelance design… Oooh, what if I made a second and attempted to build a Garratt? 🤪

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Good news… I finally got the 4-8-4 chassis working! Runs surprisingly well, now to see how long until my wood + milliput bearing wears out!

Bad news… I’m stumped on what to do with it! Been considering all sorts of things, P2, P1 (shorten to a 2-8-2 for both), some crazy freelance design… Oooh, what if I made a second and attempted to build a Garratt? 🤪

G'Day Folks

You could lengthen a A4 body, there were plans to build a LNER 4-8-4.

manna

• Like 2