Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

28 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

P.S. I live in a village now. I know how this goes ......

Ah!, the idyll of an England past, Preserved flawlessly in aspic, where the ladies of the village are all dedicated members of the Women's Voluntary Service. Who could not wish for such perfection.

000266373-2000.jpg

• Funny 2

33 minutes ago, rocor said:

Ah!, the idyll of an England past, Preserved flawlessly in aspic, where the ladies of the village are all dedicated members of the Women's Voluntary Service. Who could not wish for such perfection.

000266373-2000.jpg

Sandford, not Stepford!

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Ian Simpson said:

" 7. That the subjects which are Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions, and as allowed by law."

And the law states that in order to possess a firearm you have to obtain a licence and satisfy very stringent conditions.  You can't just go into a gun shop and buy a couple of assault rifles once you turn 18.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rocor said:

Who could not wish for such perfection.

I can't help feeling that they've not dressed appropriately for the frozen aisle.

Sorry, you've all been pretty deep today while I've been out and all I can offer up is an idly flippant comment.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

what is relevant is that they’ve had I think 27 mass shootings this year so far,

Actually using the excepted  definition of mass shooting  as involving 4 or more including the perpetrator killed or wounded it's been.....

Here they are listed. A CNN news anchor read them all out last week in a news segment, took around 3 minutes and that was last week..

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/us-school-shootings-how-many-2022-full-list-mass-shooting-killed-texas-1649632

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

All this stuff regarding Boris and the Prince of Orange, etc....As i read through yet another issue of Private Eye, I find that Boris is, in many respects rather a better bet than four fifths of the entire population.....going by all the reports and exposure of facts I read in every issue.

It seems most of the 'haves' are knee deep in one form of corruption or another.

The variety of corruption is endless... [Jus tread about the current Northern Ireland Minister...and the ten grand bung he received a while ago....for 'helping' a Russian friend...Who had also made a decent bung [contribution] to the Conservative party.....only for Barclays Bank to offer evidence that those funds might have been an example of 'money laundering?'  Seems said minister ''made the suggestions go away?''

Well well....and we complain about Boris's indiscretions?

I don't know who else on this thread read Private Eye [instead of BRM magazine?]...but I'm actually finding much of the content quite depressing, mainly due to the amount of shoyte folk seem to be up to, or have been, up to?

Yes. it's amusing me, especially the cartoons...but..the exposures written about really do make me think I live on the edge of a huge can of worms...and no-one else [aside from Hislop on HIGNFY] seems at all concerned....???

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, wagonman said:

Was that meant to be satirical? He sounded like he was phoning in his commentary from CA.

Yes, the bit when he dubbed the panorama of brutalist concrete as a view that "nearly took my breath away" the piece lost conviction for me. There was a 180 arc of ugly stretching to the horizon. Closer views were often quite depressing, too. The grotty outdoor market gasping under the stained concrete ring road overpass was just desperate. 

The thing about brutalistic architecture is that it's, well, brutal. 

New Street Station, even when new, clearly looked dingy and cack, and, save for a small coterie of modernist architects for a relatively brief period of time, there is no way that you can really sell the idea that the (already visibly pealing) Bull Ring (or the South Bank in Lunnon, for that matter) are in anyway attractive.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Brum isn't a place I would voluntarily visit [any more].

That, despite spending the  larger part of my childhood in either Leamington Spa, or Sutton Coldfield.

Cardiff is another city off my wish list..I got run over there aged around 4 or 5, by an Austin Cambridge.

Witnessed my first man being crushed under a lorry there, slightly later...

Went to college there as well, as a mid teenager....[trolleybuses still roamed the streets then, mind]

London , or anywhere inside the M25 [for starters] is also on my miss list. [So is Dover!]

As is Manchester! Liverpool is one step too far as well...

Leeds is out, York is a waste of time to me, as is Hull really...

I spent some time up in North Shields, [Smiths Dock] so don't want to be found going back there either.

Glasgow I find undesirable, Edinburgh going that way....

In fact, anywhere where I can stand and see more than eight people in one go, I avoid...

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Maybe the 27 was school shootings, or “mad bloke on a rampage in a public place” events then.

I was watching a youtube video blog of a US families account of moving to Australia and the differences between there and here and one that they bought up was that they were able to tell their 7 and 5 year old kids that they no longer needed to remember to run in a zig zag  if there was an "armed Intruder" alert like they'd been trained to do in their US school.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

41 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Yes, I'm afraid so:

lnwrbns_str1872.jpg

[1863 or thereabouts; embedded link to Warwickshire Railways image lnwrbns_str1872.]

A century of use and abuse didn't improve matters.

But back in the black and white days everywhere looked a little gloomy, even godzone country downunder.:

image.png.3f8e5b65c28ae00c3358fada3ca84ce3.png

• Like 13

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

But back in the black and white days everywhere looked a little gloomy, even godzone country downunder.:

image.png.3f8e5b65c28ae00c3358fada3ca84ce3.png

The Belmont service looks like its being drawn by the Antipodean equivalent of a Terrier. Its barely larger than the tram engine alongside!

And as for the 2nd Amendment discussion, I'm relieved that no one brought up the demand for the right to arm bears.

Oops.....

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

The Belmont service looks like its being drawn by the Antipodean equivalent of a Terrier. Its barely larger than the tram engine alongside!

Victorian railways E class, by the look of it. 

The pattern suburban E class tank loco was built by Kitson & Co of Leeds, England, in 1888 and was a typical British tank engine of the 2-4-2 wheel arrangement. The original loco, named "Tasmania" by the builder, was displayed in the Centennial International Exhibition in the Melbourne Exhibition Buildings in 1888.

image.png.160d155f475ebd6b057e8d86d9b96987.png

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

And as for the 2nd Amendment discussion, I'm relieved that no one brought up the demand for the right to arm bears.

Bears could probably do a better job.

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 5

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Victorian railways E class, by the look of it. 

The pattern suburban E class tank loco was built by Kitson & Co of Leeds, England, in 1888 and was a typical British tank engine of the 2-4-2 wheel arrangement. The original loco, named "Tasmania" by the builder, was displayed in the Centennial International Exhibition in the Melbourne Exhibition Buildings in 1888.

image.png.160d155f475ebd6b057e8d86d9b96987.png

The E Class is not running on the sleepers which a broad gauge VR E class would be doing if it found its way to Newcastle in NSW. The loco looks to be an NSWGR E class 2-6-4 tank loco.

Regards,

Craig W

• Informative/Useful 2

23 minutes ago, Craigw said:

The E Class is not running on the sleepers which a broad gauge VR E class would be doing if it found its way to Newcastle in NSW. The loco looks to be an NSWGR E class 2-6-4 tank loco.

Regards,

Craig W

I stand corrected. The Castlemaine Ale sign and the general gloominess made me think Melbourne..

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I stand corrected. The Castlemaine Ale sign and the general gloominess made me think Melbourne..

it is not a good reproduction of it, i have seen better scans where it does not look quite so doom and gloom.

Regards,

Craig W

PS NSW did actually have a 0-6-0 tank heavily influenced by the Terriers -  the 67, later N class (after 1890)

• Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Bears could probably do a better job.

Hilarious. If only the damage were confined to these Darwin Award runners up.

Idiots.

The details of the victims and the impact on survivors and families of the Texas shooting that came onto my radio this morning was harrowing.  This was followed by an interview with a Texas Senator and NRA member who explained the shooting as the result of an outcast and a misfit, his evidence for which characterisation being that the boy sometimes wore eye shadow and dresses.  The senator blamed the atrocity on the shooter's roommate for not reporting him based on an ambiguous comment made prior to the gun purchase.

Senator Pete Sessions, you absolute fecking moron.

image.png.faffb4ed9877a4aebdd1f886c760e61a.png

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7

Birmingham addendum

Wall art at Hockley bypass has been Grade II listed

image.png.0238cccb071a98fc0be933b505b340b2.png

A fine example by William Mitchell of the Pasta Picture Primary School of art.

Apparently there is another listed Mitchell underpass in Stevenage. 

image.png.0ffd9b53384e4be1b1177ec1afbe3d4a.png

Something almost Aztec or Egyptian about those figures.

Thus, here feminists anticipate the Bangles by walking like an Egyptian.

image.png.6e1a2d1330fb12bb57a8c27f1fcd6cb5.png

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3