Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dracula the Railway Enthusiast

Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Premium

I've recently started reading Bram Stoker's Dracula and came upon this sentence that I feel I must share:

The lamps were also lit in the study or library, and I found the Count lying on the sofa reading, of all things in the world, an English Bradshaw's Guide.

Not a detail, I suspect, that has been perpetuated in many of the film adaptations.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I've recently started reading Bram Stoker's Dracula and came upon this sentence that I feel I must share:

The lamps were also lit in the study or library, and I found the Count lying on the sofa reading, of all things in the world, an English Bradshaw's Guide.

Not a detail, I suspect, that has been perpetuated in many of the film adaptations.

Does this mean that Michael Portillo is really Dracula? :D

• Like 3
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

Changing the subject slightly, I did fancy making a  layout based on the Metre gauge Transylvanian State Railways.

Locos with no crews and trains seemingly without passengers.

The hearse wagon, more famous on the even narrower gauge Ffestiniog Railway would be a popular conveyance methinks.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I don't think Dracula would be seen (un)dead in a lime green jacket and pink trousers....

On the other hand, you’ve got to admit that he’s a pretty sharp, if rather traditional, dresser, always immaculately turned out and with impeccable manners.  ‘Velcome to my humble abode, please, come in from zis accursed rain, vill you have a glass of vine - Igor, fetch some vine for our guests.  I myself do not drink... vine’.  Mwa ha ha ha ha haa. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

6 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Put in to signify that he is planning a trip to England.

Bradshaw's are mentioned quite a lot in Sherlock Holmes in a similar way.

If you are reading the book then you've probably found out why the film versions aren't very faithful to the book. People would walk out as it's boring as hell!

Very much Victorian chick lit. Vampires by Mills & Boon I've seen it described as.  :laugh:

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Count is not the only enthusiast in the story. I am now close to the end and have just come across this passage:

'When does the next train start for Galatz?' said Van Helsing to us generally.

'At 6.30 tomorrow morning!' We all stared for the answer came from Mrs Harker.

'How on earth do you know?' said Art.

'You forget - or perhaps you do not know, though Jonathan does and so does Dr Van Helsing - that I am a train fiend.'

• Like 2

If you are looking for other classic books with railway references that don't really get mentioned in the adaptions.

Try Dombey & Son by Dickens it's full of them. Obviously Mugby Junction which includes The Signal Man as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mugby_Junction

Dickens himself seemed to be an enthusiast until he was involved in the Staplehurst Crash.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Dickens#Last_years

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The conversation continues:

'Can't we get a special?' asked Lord Godalming.

Van Helsing shook his head: 'This land is very different from yours or mine; even if we did have a special, it would probably not arrive as soon as the regular train.'

Interesting how it implies that in Western Europe it was was generally possible to order a private special train at a few hours' notice (at least for the likes of Lord Godalming).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Van Helsing shook his head: 'This land is very different from yours or mine; even if we did have a special, it would probably not arrive as soon as the regular train.'

Interesting how it implies that in Western Europe it was was generally possible to order a private special train at a few hours' notice (at least for the likes of Lord Godalming).

If records still exist as to the prices that were charged for ordering up a private train from a railway company in the 19th century , they would be interesting to see, especially once they are adjusted to current day values.

13 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Professor Moriarty orders up a special in "The Final Problem" and it would appear in under a quarter of an hour.  Sherlock Holmes intimates he would order one up as well, so not just for the aristocracy!

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

Professor Moriarty orders up a special in "The Final Problem" and it would appear in under a quarter of an hour.  Sherlock Holmes intimates he would order one up as well, so not just for the aristocracy!

The railways, being pragmatic businesses, would, I suspect, happily provide a special for anyone with the ability to pay. Whilst not aristocracy, I've always been under the impression that Mr Holmes was not short of a quid, and could, in any event, charge it to his client as expenses. 

What is being overlooked here, is that the Count himself was the proprietor of a couple of London model shops in the 1970s.  The establishment was called “Chuffs”, and ran two shops - one in Lisson Grove (near Marylebone) and the other in Bucklersbury, a small thoroughfare in the City.  Chuffs was notorious for its amusing adverts in the model railway press, and its Dracula-themed stands at model exhibitions.

The business and both shops are long gone.  I only visited the City shop, and that only once.  It seemed pitched towards trading vintage collectibles and deep wallets.  Even Bucklersbury itself has gone in all but name, swallowed up in office and show developments leading to Bank station.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, EddieB said:

What is being overlooked here, is that the Count himself was the proprietor of a couple of London model shops in the 1970s.  The establishment was called “Chuffs”, and ran two shops - one in Lisson Grove (near Marylebone) and the other in Bucklersbury, a small thoroughfare in the City.  Chuffs was notorious for its amusing adverts in the model railway press, and its Dracula-themed stands at model exhibitions.

The business and both shops are long gone.  I only visited the City shop, and that only once.  It seemed pitched towards trading vintage collectibles and deep wallets.  Even Bucklersbury itself has gone in all but name, swallowed up in office and show developments leading to Bank station.

I visited both many times. The shop in the City was only possible because of a cheap rent, the site having been earmarked for redevelopment for decades but with huge arguments over the architecture of the proposed new building.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, EddieB said:

I remember the adverts - they featured a cast of characters of whom Spikey the Whirling Dervish sticks in my memory. I've often wondered how much the shops themselves lived up to the eccentricities of the ads.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Trains on the traditional, by which I probably mean pre-Beeching,Railway, which had locos and stock stabled in any largish town and possibly two or three different railways at that, could probably have been rustled up fairly quickly; the only problem would have been finding the traincrew at the dead of night,and with most locomen living close to the shed and guards to the carriage depots that could easily be overcome with callouts by knockeruppers, cleaners on push bikes. 

Even in the 70s at Canton there were rakes of coaches that only saw action on bank holidays and xmas which only needed a quick once over by the cleaners, and plenty of locos, and a spare crew booking on every two hours 24/7, and, except between about 3am and 7am, a few spare dmus as well.  We could have most of the time been ready for the off from any platform Cardiff Central in about an hour from the phone call.  

The Stationmaster had the authority to organise this.  On one occasion as guard on the last Crewe-Cardiff from Hereford on a Sunday evening, when the train was late because of delays to connections off the WCML, not unusually, I took it upon myself to go through the 120 set to see how many passengers wanted to connect to the last Paddington-Swansea at Cardiff, write down the numbers and where they

were going and asked the leading railman on duty at Abergavenny to contact SM Cardiff with the information so that he could make a decision about delaying the Swansea to wait for us or organise a relief.  We could not be the relief, as the driver was concerned about fuel levels.  

When we arrived at Cardiff, 90 late, the. Swansea had long been sent on it’s way and there was a crewed 120 waiting as a relief for the 20 or so downline punters.  This had been organised by SM in the 40 minutes we had taken to run from Abergavenny, so presumably anyone who’d asked that evening could have done the same, though they’d have probably been asked for a deposit!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2