Builders Yard

Baggies1961

All this talk of side projects prompted me to use some existing timber and boards I had lying around.

This little diorama was inspired by the great Bude Quay single line long siding seen elsewhere on the RM web.

I just wanted a long siding into an imaginary cramped builders yard which is utilising run down buildings, some of which I made a long while ago from foam board, this method I gleaned from this site as well from Stephen Im sorry I dont know your last name from his untitled layout which can still been viewed on here from some years ago.
One board will have the track embedded in concrete and accessible through wire gates.

The ply back board has yet to be fitted and I am just placing buildings to see where they will be fixed in due course.

Regards

Julian.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Baggies1961
Spelling mistake
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

57 minutes ago, Baggies1961 said:

All this talk of side projects prompted me to use some existing timber and boards I had lying around.

This little diorama was inspired by the great Bude Quay single line long siding seen elsewhere on the RM web.

I just wanted a long siding into an imaginary cramped builders yard which is utilising run down buildings, some of which I made a long while ago from foam board, this method I gleaned from this site as well from Stephen Im sorry I dont know your last name from his untitled layout which can still been viewed on here from some years ago.
One board will have the track embedded in concrete and accessible through wire gates.

The ply back board has yet to be fitted and I am just placing buildings to see where they will be fixed in due course.

Regards

Julian.

image.jpg

image.jpg

West Brom??

Please excuse the clutter a bit more to the buildings over the last few days. I purchased some windows from York Modelmaking after seeing them on rmweb, very nice and great service.

I will have a go at the concrete around the track soon and attach the ply back board. Living in a small house presents a storage issue so got to work that one out. :o

image.jpg

• Like 5

Had a delivery from Slaters  more brick sheet to cover the buildings I have been playing about with, some of which have been in shell format for a couple of years.

Was certain I had some, couldn't find it so ordered more. Only to find said sheets when new order arrived. :no:

Will trim windows etc. when glue has set.

image.jpg

• Like 2

A bit of progress today, I have used cork  for the infill for the middle of the track and after running a wagon of it will have to trim the sides for wheel clearance.
Fixed the buffer stop in place and started to trim the tiles on the roof for the large building. The windows of which Im not happy with as the Lcut ones are somewhat flimsy so have asked York Modelmaking for some bespoke ones if possible.

I attached brick sheet to the small building and will start with the roof tomorrow if I can.

image.jpg

• Like 4

Roof for small building started last night and I wont fit until windows, header bricks are fitted.

Bought some card to line the ply back board due to the pending lock down collected today so I have it at hand. 
Another question are 1/50 scale vehicles suitable for O gauge layouts? Bought a 1/50 fork lift and it looks huge to me.   

image.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

Bought a 1/50 fork lift and it looks huge to me.   

1/50 is much smaller, not bigger. A lorry with a driver posed alongside would be very obviously too small for example. That doesnt mean every model is accurate of course.

• RMweb Premium

Copy and paste below into Google images - forklift at platform height is no higher than the wagon body. Those two still both look pretty big although of course forklifts come in different sizes.

Fork-lift truck driver loading luggage onto a railway truck in Wengen railway station in Switzerland 

- Image ID: BNG7P1

Edt - realised its a half height continental platform but you get the idea.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 1

On the subject of forklifts, I've found all the Corgi and and Dinky models to be significantly over-scale - so I ended up going abroad to find one that actually was 1:43 (I have a Stobarts one wasting away abandoned on a shelf somewhere....).

This Ukrainian one actually is, and looks fairly ubiquitous. I repainted mine green and rebuilt it to radio control, but they are available either as kits, or ready built.

2020-08-27_06-14-20

7mm scale or 1:43 radio controlled forklift

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5