Builders Yard

Baggies1961

Hi,got a feeling there was barbed wire across the gate as well,supported by steel angle,bent to the same angle as the concrete posts.Dont think I've a photo though.

atb

Phil

will have a look round though.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

Thanks Phil got some spare so I will attach 2 to the back of the gate.

Cheers

Julian.

You might want to put one in the middle as well,to stop the barbed wire from sagging.After all,we wouldn't want the light - fingered gentry getting in,would we?

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I don't usually snap mesh gates, but here is one from the archives. They have just extended the mesh upwards. You could put a length of barbed across the top. An angled extension leads to difficulties with where the angles meet each other or the surroundings.

Lochin Marine gates Newhaven.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

I don't usually snap mesh gates, but here is one from the archives. They have just extended the mesh upwards. You could put a length of barbed across the top. An angled extension leads to difficulties with where the angles meet each other or the surroundings.

Lochin Marine gates Newhaven.jpg

Good point about the angle on the gate. If the gate opens outwards it would have problems opening because of the adjacent fence. Inwards could cause problems with it overhanging the track and hitting rolling stock as it passes. :nono:

Paul

• Thanks 1

Having looked at some other images of security fencing and (very) vaguely from my own memories(over 50 years ago) I rather think the tops of the concrete posts sloped inwards,and the gate across the access line was about 12' wide and opened outwards,slightly more than 90*,ensuring no conflicts with the loco or wagons.Unfortunately,after the passage of time(and distance) the cold store ,it's associated sidings and goods loop access are long gone,under a housing estate,and rationalisation of the ex - GWR Oxford line.

atb

Phil

• Thanks 1

Ah but,the gate should be kept shut at all times,except when in use.Security,don't you know?(see comment above).Perhaps a hut for the gateman and a weighbridge to help keep him busy?

atb

Phil

Did think of the gate position but your right so I checked the ‘rule 1’ book which states it can hang and swing which way it likes as long as gate is shut immediately as the train passes through it. Gateman fired, perhaps this falls into ‘lazy Joe’ territory Andy?? :nono:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah, but the way it is hanging will stop anyone coming round from the end of the building into the path of a moving train so I suppose the gateman should get his job back!