Just found this topic (how did I miss it?) and I have to say it's tremendous. Some really nice stock, excellently weathered in a thoroughly convincing environment. Top marks sir!

Chaz

• Like 1

Just found this topic (how did I miss it?) and I have to say it's tremendous. Some really nice stock, excellently weathered in a thoroughly convincing environment. Top marks sir!

Chaz

I have just spent a rapt half an hour looking at your videos, wonderful stuff. Brilliant modelling with video shot with a rock-steady camera and no bl**dy in-shot zooming (I hate that). I also appreciate the viewpoint changes as moves approach, pass and then receed. very professional.

Just one tiny criticism if I may, in one of the videos the lighting is affected by fleeting shadows - someone (yourself?) moving about in the room during the shot?

I think the companies' accountants just might have questioned the number of locomotives on the books.

Chaz

• Like 1

Hi Chaz,

I make the films using my little digital camera on the video setting and put them together with MS Moviemaker, which came with Windows XP. Every shot is either on a tripod or with the camera sat directly on the layout. No idea about the shadows though - probably me moving about.

I've found some great footage of industrial locos on youtube and have been trying to rip the soundtrack off them to use on another video but haven't had any success with the free download programmes that are supposed to do this.

Hi Chaz,

I make the films using my little digital camera on the video setting and put them together with MS Moviemaker, which came with Windows XP. Every shot is either on a tripod or with the camera sat directly on the layout.

Your results are first class and well worth the time and effort. I intend to have a go myself and I must investigate MS Moviemaker, which I think is also bundled with Windows 7(?).

Chaz

Quote: "I think the companies' accountants just might have questioned the number of locomotives on the books."

I have thought that a second hand loco dealer's yard would make an interesting layout with scope for lots of locos. If the firm also undertook wagon repairs, and its premises were a bit cramped there would be some operational interest as well.

I bought a Powsides tank wagon kit and had similar problems to yourself. The tank was awful, it wasn't round, some of the rivet detail was poor and the ends were a bad fit. The wooden underframe was shaped like a banana. I contacted Powsides about this and they suggested putting it in hot water whist holding it flat. This had no effect on the distortion.

So I threw out the tank, made one out of brass, soldered in two brass bolts (10BA I think) at the base in line with the saddles and used these to pull the underframe flat.

P1020795a700x538_zps49b9e290.jpg

I'm quite proud of the result which was achieved in spite of the kit. If I bought another Powsides tanker it would be on the understanding that a similar amount of work might well be necessary - it would be quicker than a total scratchbuild and would, at least, provide the necessary detail castings.

Hope you don't mind the hi-jack!

Chaz

• Like 1

I have thought that a second hand loco dealer's yard would make an interesting layout with scope for lots of locos. If the firm also undertook wagon repairs, and its premises were a bit cramped there would be some operational interest as well.

Hmm, nice idea. Were there such places?

Chaz

There was also Cudworth and Johnson in Wrexham who bought, sold and rebuilt industrial locos in the earlier years of the 20th century.  Not sure when they stopped doing this but the company itself lasted for quite some time after.

I've spent most of this afternoon and evening playing trains, videoing them and making another little film.

Lovely weather at BTS today! :sungum: ...........and the new super 8 cine-camera with sound is working well, Dave. :yes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Beautifully shot video once more Dave.  The angles you shoot from make it believable. ;)

Not sure what the secretary has on her mind though? She must have a hot date tonight because she appears in a world of her own.;)

Anything else on the work bench?

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

Very nice Dave.

I must get a move on so I can play trains too.

Well done, it's great to see the results of your endeavour coming alive.

On a safety front I hope you were wearing a Hi-viz jacket when filming as you were very close to the track and judging by the size of the spider's webs I wouldn't like to come face to face with one of them either.

Regards

Edited by Barnaby

Anything else on the work bench?

Cheers,

Mark

A tank wagon conversion, another loco kit (Peckett W4), the Yorktown project and some fire hose/reels for the works. It's the Gauge O Guild Halifax (Cleckheaton now) show on Saturday so I'm sure I'll come back with something else to keep me entertained. :help:

• Like 1

Nice work.

I like the part with the flat wagon it could be a scene from Skinningrove Iron Works moving a scrap pan wagon.

What size wheels did you use on the wagon? .

I've no idea. It's been so long since I built that one that I don't even know where they came from. It was built at the same time as the scratch-built Ruston 44/48 and was based on the flat wagon at Blackett Hutton's foundry in Guisborough.

Yes, Arthur, I saw it and the Ruston in action there once. It all looked a bit bodge it and scarper!

A couple of weeks ago I posted elsewhere on the forum asking about the best thing to use to represent ash from loco fire and smokeboxes. I ended up collecting a bag of ash from the Chasewater Railway (the only bag I had was a dog poo bag and how silly did I feel walking around with a bag full of what everyone assumed to be dog poo but having no dog with me at the time?).

Once ground up and piles of ash were added next to the loco shed on BT&S I realised that it looked not very different from the ballast. It would though - the ballast is stuff I picked up from the old NCB line at Calder Grove! Anyway, the pic below is one of a few that I have taken to supposedly show the piles of ash from BT&S engines but, as it doesn't look that much different from the ballast , I cropped it to just show the engine.

post-494-0-82433600-1370200928.jpg

I can't remember if I've already shown and described this or not so I'll describe it anyway. The engine is an Ixion Manning Wardle and the blast pipe, petticoat pipe, steam pipes and tube plate are all scratchbuilt from plasticard, plastic rod and brass tube. The opening door, dart and other thingy are standard on the model as bought.

• Like 14

This evening I've made and painted the despatch office interior. I was looking at cast resin office futniture on one of the stands at the Cleckheaton show on Saturday and reckoned I could do just as well for nowt. Almost everything here is made from things I already had lying around - offcuts of plasticard, brass wire, coco pops packet and tiny offcuts of plastic rod.

The one item I did buy was the cast whitemetal conical fire extinguishers.

post-494-0-21763600-1370376348.jpg

post-494-0-52616800-1370376372.jpg

It needs more clutter - a mug of tea on the desk, some files on a shelf and maybe the gaffer's overcoat hanging on a wall etc.

• Like 6

...but surely the keyboard should be on the desk, not the desk on........ oh....   Still it's a really nice little office, you do those interiors very well, sir.

Inspired by your excellent videos I have had a bash with my Lumix compact and Movie Maker. My unfinished fixed layout is not a patch on yours but the results are most encouraging. When I get the chance to shoot some action on Dock Green I will post the results.

Chaz

• Like 3

I have bought yet another loco. Brianthesnail advertised it on here and within 5 minutes of the ad going up I'd seen the ad and arranged to buy the kit.

It's a 15" Hunslet 0-6-0ST and the kit is by 85A models. It's a plastic kit with a RTR chassis and was already partly built, all I had to do was fit the fiddly bits and assemble the sub assemblies into a loco then weight it and paint it.

I'm making a few small alterations - I've cut the lip off the chimney to make it a plain stovepipe chimney (ike the engines of this type that were fitted with Kylpor exhaust system), have added a wooden cab floor and handbrake column (I don't know if the kit is meant to come with a column but if it did it wasn't in the box). I'm thinking of making some representation of an underfeed stoker.

post-494-0-81031300-1370798234.jpg

post-494-0-56291400-1370798269.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 13