HELJAN OO GAUGE CLASS 33s RETURN FOR 2021

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
On 26/09/2022 at 12:15, WCML100 said:

looking to get the WCR release of the latest batch and wondered if it is a suitable renumber candidate for 33207 Jim Martin. Not an expert on the 33's and wondering if there were any differences I have missed?

thanks

It has been previously made, this is what to look for

https://www.hattons.co.uk/22706/heljan_3335_class_33_2_diesel_33207_in_west_coast_railway_company_maroon_livery/stockdetail

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Thanks, I was aware of this release but have x2 reservations. 

1 - how does the tooling and features match up to the more recent release? 

2 - does this release of 33207 have the correct body width tooling in line with the Hastings narrow loading gauge? 

Depending on those I may stay with 33025 as it seems to have strayed down to Southall Depot on a few occasions.

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, WCML100 said:

2 - does this release of 33207 have the correct body width tooling in line with the Hastings narrow loading gauge? 

Depending on those I may stay with 33025 as it seems to have strayed down to Southall Depot on a few occasions.

1. I’m not aware of any recent tooling changes to the 33/2. The recent release is a 33/0 and 33/1 neither which is suitable for a 33/2.

2. the model above 33207 is the correct 33/2 tooling. You can tell by the narrower profile. I dont believe Heljan has made any 33/2 that used the incorrect standard 33/0 profile.

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WCML100 said:

Heljan are producing a new run of 33'2s, your 33207 is  not included but at least it will be a donor to the latest spec should you want to relivery/renumber.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Casually meandering around Hattons site I stumbled across this..

https://www.hattons.co.uk/503160/heljan_3451_class_33_0_d6515_lt_jenny_lewis_rn_in_br_green_with_small_yellow_panels_as_pres/stockdetail

its been generally out of stock and a relatively popular model, but Hattons seem to have more than 10 in stock.

It's an Olivia's special ltd edition of 200 models, so I am guessing they thought there was a market for a second run ( was the first run a general release?) but enough are unsold and that Hattons are helping their old mate out by offering the model on their site too.

Can't tell how many are left, Olivias let me put 300 of them into my basket!  Hattons also won't let me put chunks into a basket so all we know is there are at least 22 of them available across the two stores.  I note that Olivias only allows personal visits by prior appointment still.

• 7 months later...

Hi all i was wondering if anyone could help me?

I wanted to know if there are any short comings with the latest Heljan 33, and issues or inaccuracies etc? And if there are, what are they?

thanks

• RMweb Gold
On 07/05/2023 at 10:46, WCML100 said:

Hi all i was wondering if anyone could help me?

I wanted to know if there are any short comings with the latest Heljan 33, and issues or inaccuracies etc? And if there are, what are they?

thanks

There is an older thread that discusses them somewhat.

Several people dont like them, but the more recent ones 34xx catalog numbers are finished very nice, despite short comings.

At 10 years old I dont think its as good value for money as it was just a couple of years ago.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

The newer 33/0s whilst improved, addressed some issues. The roof profile which was a major error on the orginal ones was corrected on the newer 33/0s, of which ive got 2 bodyshells currently that im detailing etc myself (33/0s), the bufferbeam areas were also improved and upgraded too.

But then the "latest" 33/2s to me detail wise dont look to of been upgraded much (apart from the chassis perhaps?) which is a pity as when detailed the Heljan 33, makes a nice model.

I do wish Heljan the best with these models, but moulded bodyside grills and those awful orginal roof fan grills, you cant help but feel its a step backwards for them, as they retooled the 33/0, but not the 33/2 which seems a bit odd?

NL

Edited by NickL2008
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Please forgive me if this is being discussed elsewhere, but has anyone got their hands on a new (April/May 2023) 'OO' Heljan 33/2, and is willing to offer an opinion?

https://www.Heljan.co.uk/post/slim-jims-shipping-now

I was going to buy the D6590 model, not wanting head-light or orange stripe, and re-number it to T.O.P.S.  Any thoughts on it from purchasers?  Many thanks.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, C126 said:

Please forgive me if this is being discussed elsewhere, but has anyone got their hands on a new (April/May 2023) 'OO' Heljan 33/2, and is willing to offer an opinion?

https://www.Heljan.co.uk/post/slim-jims-shipping-now

I was going to buy the D6590 model, not wanting head-light or orange stripe, and re-number it to T.O.P.S.  Any thoughts on it from purchasers?  Many thanks.

I have just collected the two "unweathered" green Slim Jims from local model shop, Girmy TImes in Warrington.  They look just as per the published images, with all the pipework on the ends and whatnot (except vacuum exhausters) already fitted.  According to the instruction booklet, the goody pack includes a spare set of pipes and vacuum exhausters that can be added to the bogies.  Also included are snow ploughs and NRN radio pods for the later era models. 
The test running was superb, smooth and quiet straight out of the box, pulling away at nice low setting on the controller (analogue only here at Chateau Bob).
Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Phatbob said:

Hope that helps.

Dear @Phatbob , it does indeed help.  Thank you very much for going to the trouble of posting your thoughts.  Glad to hear your purchase is trouble free.  I will get my order in a.s.a.p.  Hope this is of interest to other '33' fans.  Thanks again and best wishes.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks again, @Phatbob .  Order duly delivered speedily by Kernow Model Rail Centre, and re-numbered last weekend to a 33/2 I saw on a Goods service at Clapham Jn in 1985.  33 209's decals were 'whole' on the sheet; I did not have the patience to wrestle with individual numerals.  Just need to try the model running now.

DSCN0635 PAN 4608x1744.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone tried to remove the factory weathering from the recent Heljan Class 33’s? If so how do they match up?

also after doing some research I have noticed the small tail lights have been removed on the west coast examples but are still present on the model. 

thanks

Edited by WCML100

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, WCML100 said:

also after doing some research I have noticed the small tail lights have been removed on the west coast examples but are still present on the model. 

That has been a common issue with several Heljan 33s over the years. It is not just WC models so affected. 

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1