RMweb

Lionheart O Gauge BR 3MT 2-6-2 Tank Engine

Adrian Stevenson

14 minutes ago, David Element said:

A question for Richard - I want to portray either 82019 or 82029 in late BR condition, so with the late BR emblem (I dare say most other observers would remember the last two active members of this Class in this condition). 

Agreed, I'll find it very difficult to resist 82019 or 29 if they are in Waterloo condition.  82019 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/britaingeneralrail/e6514a914

Paul

• Like 1

Certainly 82029 was missing the two middle brackets (the lower two on the smokebox door) in (some) photographs. 82019 possessed the full set, but this wasn't one of the NE transferred locomotives. Update - there are two photographs of No. 82029 with a full set of brackets on page 108 of John Bird's 'Southern Steam Sunset '67', so it would appear that they must have been fitted later. This book also indicates that the locomotive would have been allocated to Nine Elms when the photographs were taken in July 1967. 

Edited by David Element
New information had come to light.
  • Agree 1

To the best of my recollection, the last two Nine Elms-based Standard Class 3MT tanks Nos. 82019 and 82029 were sometimes used to haul the four car Kenny Belle between Clapham Junction and Olympia at the end of SR steam - along with BR Standard Class 4MT tanks and Ivatt 2MT tanks (Nos. 41284 - withdrawn earlier than the other three, 41298, now running in modified form on the IOW, 41312, and 41319). So these two 3MT tanks, in late BR livery, would have been seen by many train-spotters, and perhaps have been more popular if modelled in this livery as they are more likely to be remembered in this form than with the lion and wheel insignia (the later emblem would have been my personal preference). The BR Standards and Ivatts would have mainly been used for hauling empty coaching stock in the area between Waterloo and Clapham Junction Yard, and most were by this time filthy and usually lacking their smokebox number plates. Most on-line films and photographs (some in colour) seem to illustrate either No. 41319 or No. 82019 being used for the Kenny Belle. Not all of the listed locomotives will necessarily have hauled this service, but I recall being given a footplate ride on No. 82029 on this duty. I would echo the request for Lionheart to consider producing the Ivatt 2MT tank (with all chimney variations) as these are popular locomotives, they would complement the BR Standard Class 3MT tanks, there is a gap in the O gauge market for a high quality model, one suitable for use on smaller layouts, and the relatively short Kenny Belle would make an excellent subject to model. 

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/03/2023 at 12:12, coeurdelyon said:

Hi Guys,

The two models in the cabinet at Kettering were for decoration and detail corrections, please note the water capacity error has already been advised to the factory.

We shall be offering detail differences, such as fluted and fish-belly coupling rods for the later build, boiler top handrail on Western locomotives and SR lamp brackets.

Production is scheduled for June so all being well they should be available around October 2023

Cheers, Richard

Richard, As you may already be aware, I am keen to model one of these superb models as either No. 82019 or 82029 in late BR condition. Having checked the shed allocations, I am now working on the presumption that it might be most straightforward to convert the model of No. 82010 to No. 82019 simply by changing the number as 82010 would have been allocated to Nine Elms when withdrawn in 1965, and therefore equipped with Southern Region brackets. However, before making an adjustment to my existing order for an unnumbered model in late BR condition, I was wondering if you could confirm that the unnumbered version has SR lamp brackets (the Hattons web site implies that the unnumbered version will be identical to the late BR version of No. 82010). Will shed-plates be attached, and will they be 70A plates for Nine Elms? I am still unclear about the accuracy of the chimney, as there may have been more than one type attached - photographs indicate that some locomotives had taller, narrower chimneys than others. Will these details be clarified before these models are put on sale? Is a second run anticipated for this model?

• 7 months later...

Hi, I've not been here for a while but I spotted this thread by chance on Google and as I'm currently  building the Scorpio kit of the 3MT,  I thought I'd have a look.  From what I've seen here and on their stand at Guildex, Dapol are making an excellent job of it. It will probably be the death knell for the Scorpio kit which is a very old design with many faults. Although a relatively cheap kit to buy, when you add on the cost of a decent motor/gearbox, a set of Slaters' wheels and a few replacement castings from Laurie Griffin and Ragstone, you've spent more or less the cost of the Dapol analogue version of their RTR model.  And then you have to build and paint it! 

As others on here, notably Jim Snowden have  pointed out, the Scorpio kit is not the easiest of builds with many faults, so I can't  see anybody wanting a 3MT to run on their layout buying this kit in future. Unless of course like me, you like and prefer to build your models from kits. Negative comments aside, it can be made into a decent model. There's still a lot to do but this is the state of play so far.

20231112_092033.jpg.bfd25c23caf97be3c8c99396d42dcddf.jpg

It is heavily modified with many scratch built parts including the bunker, brake pull rods, brake crank and cylinder plus detailed front pony trucks with the rear one modified to represent the swing link version fitted to the prototype. 

20231112_092010.jpg.8b438aaede9ab15552eeed4e8faf0632.jpg

For anybody interested, the build is documented on Western Thunder. 

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, David Element said:

the issue with the chimney shape appears to have been resolved.

What issue? Don't recal anyone mentioning it and they look exactly the same all the way through this thread to me?!

Edited by Hal Nail

The chimneys of the early versions of the model appeared to be out of proportion to those of the prototypes (taller and of a smaller diameter). If you compare the photographs of the earlier and later versions of the models against those of the prototypes:

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/WD-and-Standard-locomotives/ST-BR-Standard-3MT-2-6-2T/i-Djjf4Wd/A and the earlier version of the model with the latest examples shown at Warley, you will see what I mean. Allowances need to be made for perspective, and the types of lenses used when taking the photographs, so what one sees on a computer screen can be misleading:

https://railsofsheffield.com/cdn/shop/products/82029_2_822a7747-1bae-4b5e-b4c7-c93bac60a0f9_900x.png?v=1679331117. The proportions look to be spot-on in the latest photographs. This appears to be a very good model indeed.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, John Besley said:

What can be done about the mould seam on the smokebox and boiler...

Is it a mould seam or a reflection? I've not noticed it in other photos and it doesn't appear to be there on the black version.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Is it a mould seam or a reflection?

You can just make it out on the black one but its right in the strip the light is catching.

The 14xx has one in the same spot. Not that noticeable in normal light anyway but I sanded mine off with ultra fine wet and dry and doesn't show after light weathering.

Edit: on this one I removed it from the smokebox but ignored it on the green boiler 

245042093_DSC_3792(3).JPG.554cc0188b44b426f290d714b63d76e7.JPG.e2f7a8568f01544df3bc03401b701d64.JPG

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 3