Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

Thanks, I may have lost the tea making contest though.

I think that I have figured out how to make the extension of the cab sides that support the roof. Here goes nothing! 

To answer @Limpley Stoker's question of the 21st, the crew will be fitted after I've painted the loco, which will save on some very awkward masking!

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Back home at last and a tidy up unearthed these from many pages back which were built and painted body colour and that was as far as I got.

Out came a mixture of 33 matt black and 62 leather for the ironwork, couplings fitted, wheels painted and patches of gloss varnish applied in readiness for transfers.

IMG_20221228_201946.jpg.6fc5911a192ce6107650b4cd512f8085.jpg

L to R, ex L&Y machinery wagon, LNWR coal wagon and three LMS general purpose wagons in the two liveries carried before 1939.

I'll get the transfers applied tomorrow and then bash on with the 517.

I hope that you've all had a good, or at least peaceful Christmas.

After a couple of failed starts on some kits that needed more remedial work to get started than I had tools taken down to my dad, I ended up starting on a salvage operation on an old Ratio D1927 over Christmas. I think it was one of the first kits I built (so ~40yrs old) and the chassis had warped badly. I have got a replacement Cambrian one piece underframe and some LMS cast buffers. Everything is fettled and ready for assembly once the old paint is stripped off. 

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 2

I expect that we all have several models that are sitting around for want of a spare hour and actually remembering that they need sorting out.

I haven't forgotten about the AA16 either, but I think that the detail parts will be time consuming.

I've also got something cobbled together for the 517 cab.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Pah, t'will be the work of but moments for a man of your calibre Mr W.

Just one thing.  Are you sure the second chimney was made of brick?

That would be the earlier pattern stove pipe chimney...

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 6
  • Funny 3

16 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Hope they used enough mortar. Don't won't a brick coming loose when there doing a 'high speed' run.

Definitely not, you're bound to get half a brick come through the spectacle glass and ping around the cab like a stray bullet...

Or not.

I don't imagine anyone has ever put the words "high speed" and "517 class" into the same sentence and I can see that you were careful not to either.

Edited by MrWolf
The trouble with paws is...
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Definitely not, you're bound to get half a brick come through the spectacle glass and ping around the cab like a stray bullet...

Or not.

I don't imagine any has ever put the words "high speed" and "517 class" into the same sentence and I can see that you were careful not to either.

I did put 'high speed' in quotation marks for a reason you know. It wasn't just to give my left hand something to do.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Back to reality (it's often pretty good), the most recent useful things mine has been occupied with in the past 30 minutes was driving the mouse to check my fave model railway forum (apparently, other fora are available), finishing a glass of vin rough after putting sausages in't oven, paying for our drinks at the wine bar along the road and necking three beers and a wooden board of charcuterie.

Now time to make a sarnie with cooked sausages and pour more vin rough (I sometimes confush the h and e keys).

Any more photos of the 517 yet Mr W?

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, longchap said:

Back to reality (it's often pretty good), the most recent useful things mine has been occupied with in the past 30 minutes was driving the mouse to check my fave model railway forum (apparently, other fora are available), finishing a glass of vin rough after putting sausages in't oven, paying for our drinks at the wine bar along the road and necking three beers and a wooden board of charcuterie.

Now time to make a sarnie with cooked sausages and pour more vin rough (I sometimes confush the h and e keys).

Any more photos of the 517 yet Mr W?

Now that sounds like time very well spent!

Snorkers?  Good-oh!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

There's been a little progress on finishing the wagons. All three of the LMS 3 plank opens have transfers.

IMG_20221230_061550.jpg.b845ecdfbf977ffaf00fc0c86a42e7a2.jpg

I was going to have the lot finished but not long after breakfast yesterday the phone rang and one of my friends asked if we fancied going to a toy and train fair? 

As it wasn't just trains, Miss R came along, despite her reservations about crowds and the liberal approach that some have to personal hygiene.

BTW, if you were at Bolton footie stadium yesterday and there was a young lady making noises like a cat with a hairball as you pushed past her towards the bargain boxes, it meant go home, burn your clothes, especially the snorkel parka and get a bath, you absolutely hammer... Not quite like a mass grave, but close enough even for my iron stomach.

Whilst my friend gave his wallet a damned good kicking we were both very restrained. The memsahib spent about £30 and I spent the princely sum of £14. 

Aston's mileage siding is starting to resemble the dump at Swindon.

IMG_20221230_001157.jpg.f4d25dae95208d5e42e4f764ff403e98.jpg

From left to right, 43XX Mogul body, early Bachmann, I definitely have a use for bits of it, 2251 body I think from the same source. Of course, this one still has its cab glazing, which I don't think the Mainline ones had?

Next is a late type of Bachmann 57xx, from when they retooled and once repaired can replace an early body.

Lastly a very early Bachmann Pannier, which is basically re-badged Mainline. The mechanism has of course decided to self identify as a hand grenade. Quartering shot, motor whirs but the loco doesn't move.

This will be a source of spares for my last remaining Mainline Pannier, which will also get a makeover, if only to remove the strange appendage from the top of the dome.

Possibly Palitoy repurposed some of the sheepdog bra tooling from the Jayne Mansfield dolls that got shelved a few years earlier as the heads kept coming off....

Hat, coat etc...

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning Rob, 

A good day out and some very nice bits and bobs to show for it. 

517 is looking pretty dapper as well. 

Top stuff. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Rob, I was distracted by the work that @Mikkel has been doing on an old Hornby 2721.

I was particularly inspired by his mention of salvaging front sandboxes from a Dean Goods. 

1. I forgot to add sandboxes to my spares order.

2. I have a really tatty loco body shell that I salvaged the top half of the cab from.

IMG_20221230_213139.jpg.3a3899f31dad4e0ced0f2f11047ea815.jpg

I had assumed that the sandboxes were moulded one rather than separate items due to the amount of paint on the model.

They came off pretty easily once I'd drilled away the location pegs from beneath.

No doubt I'll have to alter the lids once I have another look at the pictures..

IMG_20221230_214150.jpg.8c29c42bc28f0cf2e2913c4b2e171a77.jpg

• Like 13