Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

5 hours ago, Donw said:

A friend put a cresta engine into his wyvern.

Don

Now that would have been a good sleeper, keep the single colour paint, body coloured wheels and the poverty spec trim, but go from a 1507cc 4cyl to a 2262cc 6cyl...

I hope he used the Cresta gearbox, the Wyvern one would have struggled. 

Keeping the original differential would have been fun though, you'd really lift the front bumper coming off the lights and spin the wheels in all the lower gears!

There was also an aftermarket conversion to triple carburetors and dual exhausts too. Now that would have been amusing, taking on Healeys and XKs in what was often used as a taxi. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

In student days , South London,  my 1958 Morris 1000 convertible was popular for pub visits - with the hood down we managed seven standing ( and singing).  That was before breathalysers and seat belts of course. The engine was adequate for the job !

When I were a lad, a mate of dad had a SWB Series I land Rover, which was supposed to have carried two cricket teams, plus umpires in one go.  That would have been cosy.  Posterity didn't say whether that include bats, pads etc.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

12 hours ago, Donw said:

A friend put a cresta engine into his wyvern.

Don

That's frothy, man. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

19 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

That's frothy, man. 

See, using outdated language is amusing, baby.

Particularly when someone is trying to sound either like one of those motivational speakers, a corporate buzzword a**kisser with their finger on the prostate pulse of big business or that they're down with the disadvantaged urban yoof innit?

You just point out how ridiculous they are by responding as if you were Ed 'kookie' Burns or Oddball from Kelly's heroes.

Cresta:

mo0qn0ez7j151.jpg.b93033b64ae51e668acfca2d16f5aff8.jpg

Cresta:

365401136_vauxhall1955cresta.jpg.a2ddea31c69c40ff0c3003cdaaa731d3.jpg

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

That’s ginchy!

Now you're getting it...

16 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

What is the country pile in the background of the Vauxhall ad?   Is this the inspiration for owning such a car!

It's sad but it's not our pad, dad.

Which is a drag. We'd have to rename it Firkham Hall, but I don't think that Miss R would like that.

I suspect that wherever it was, Vauxhall looked for the first place which looked classy, ie, not Luton. But even Luton was nicer in 1955.

I've owned a couple of E Series Vauxhalls, they're a rare thing now as they were a favourite of banger racers in the seventies.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

Cresta was not allowed in our house. Expensive fizz that I drank too quickly, apparently. 

International Stores finest pop was what we had.

Same with shoes. Who didn't want a pair of shoes with a hidden compass in the heel? I was brought up in Tuff Shoes for the same reason as International Stores pop. 

And I had a great childhood looking back. 👍

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 minutes ago, Donw said:

Cresta as a drink was unknown to me.  Probably an age thing.  

Don

I think that it was a seventies thing. We had pop from the local "brewery".

You returned the glass bottles for 10p. They were steam cleaned and reused, rather than being "recycled". How wasteful our generation was...🙄

0__DSC0698.jpg.aa3a4f52490a25b341fedef1d4f8ca5a.jpg

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Wasn't that the stuff that turned you orange or am I getting confused with Fanta.

Tango.

26 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Tin cans. Tin cans he said again for emphasis. We had corporation pop and what's more we liked it.

Actually, about double the thickness of a modern car. I could stand on the roof of my Wyvern without denting it.

"We were so poor that..." northern comedians have made so much money out of that joke they could all afford to move to Chiswick...

Edited by MrWolf
Piston broke
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

That’s ginchy!  What is the country pile in the background of the Vauxhall ad?   Is this the inspiration for owning such a car!

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I suspect that wherever it was, Vauxhall looked for the first place which looked classy, ie, not Luton.

Woburn - just up the road of course.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Now that would have been amusing, taking on Healeys and XKs in what was often used as a taxi. 

Speaking of taxis, an old mate used to tow his racing dinghy behind an A55 van that had a diesel taxi engine fitted. He was booked for speeding once and kept the ticket, so that if he ever sold the van on he could prove that it would go at more than 60mph.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 4

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Tango.

Actually, about double the thickness of a modern car. I could stand on the roof of my Wyvern without denting it.

"We were so poor that..." northern comedians have made so much money out of that joke they could all afford to move to Chiswick...

Now Now you should know better. Chiswick indeed its Stalybridge in Cheshire if you don't mind. So that they can hobnob with all the footballers and property developers. Chiswick shaking head where do you get these ideas from. More Ferraris, BMWs, Audi's and Chelsea tractors per square inch than......

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Which is a drag. We'd have to rename it Firkham Hall, but I don't think that Miss R would like that.

I had considerable feedback when a logbook for one of the bikes arrived at our house ( when I lived with Mum and Dad ) from the DVLA with my title changed to the Very Reverend and "Toad Hall" added to the address............

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Now you're getting it...

I suspect that wherever it was, Vauxhall looked for the first place which looked classy, ie, not Luton. But even Luton was nicer in 1955.

I've owned a couple of E Series Vauxhalls, they're a rare thing now as they were a favourite of banger racers in the seventies.

Actually my erstwhile predecessors in the Vauxhall marketing department needn't have gone that far. Luton Hoo is practically next door to the factory.

Before it became the luxury hotel and spa it is today, I visited the house on a couple of occasions. Despite being tucked between the factory, the airport and the M1, once you get beyond the gates it's difficult to believe you're anywhere near somewhere so urban.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, 5 C said:

I miss Corona's Dandelion & Burdock.

I remember my mother dropping a full  bottle of that just outside our back door. In the driveway between two houses it sounded like a bomb going off.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Fishplate said:

Same with shoes. Who didn't want a pair of shoes with a hidden compass in the heel?  

And I had a great childhood looking back. 👍

Hey I had a pair of those, they where cool ,  the bees knees, When the shoes wore out I prized the compass out and kept it in my school desk

And Artic roll for pudding from Liptons...

Lego Railway on the Dinning Room table at Christmas... My dads F Reg MK2 Cortina Estate... MCV 431 F (my Comfortable Vehicle, 4 in the Famile, 3 males, 1 Female  - was how a friend described the registration)

Happy days

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, John Besley said:

Hey I had a pair of those, they where cool ,  the bees knees, When the shoes wore out I prized the compass out and kept it in my school desk

And Artic roll for pudding from Liptons...

Lego Railway on the Dinning Room table at Christmas... My dads F Reg MK2 Cortina Estate... MCV 431 F (my Comfortable Vehicle, 4 in the Famile, 3 males, 1 Female  - was how a friend described the registration)

Happy days

I remember having a pair of shoes called Clark's Commandos, which may well have been the top of a slippery slope. 

Compasses came in the handle of those big silly "Survival" knives.

Oddly, just about everyone I knew had knives, even a few of the girls, yet in eleven years of school, I never heard of anyone being stabbed. 

Except for one lad who was trying to make a hole in a conker with one of those big old knitting needles and managed to pierce loose flesh in a part of himself where if he'd been a couple of years older, he'd have got a hole in one more conker than he bargained for....

I do remember playing with Lego trains on the dining table. That blue track with a kind of knurling and a big black motor brick you shoved four wheels into.

Dad had quite a few old cars, but I do remember the 1968 2 door Viva HB DeLuxe, JJV205F, that was the car he wished he kept out of all of them down the years.

I remember having arctic roll a few times and that Angel Delight stuff. I never did figure out what it was!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1