Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

I think that the last twelve months of this thread has seen a fair bit of signal box information, largely because I started building it in January 21 and it's still not quite ready!

I cut down a plastic kit and remade bits too, but there's some excellent plastic, resin and printed kits out there if you don't fancy a full scratch build.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Pah, January 2021 start? That's nothing, I bought a kit about 4 years ago and then discovered an earlier start of the same kit in a tin trunk from (whispers silently) from 40 plus years ago. 

Still, almost certainly not a record! 

Bill

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Here Mr Rob what about the back scene. Thought you were going to get that done so that you could get it in place prior to do doing all that other Gubbins.

You know I didn't sit here reading all that stuff about self erection and not having creases in your curved bits to only have you loose interest you know.

This is England we don't just go of and bribe someone like the French just because its hard to do.

Looking forward in the next master class.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

This is England we don't just go of and bribe someone like the French just because its hard to do.

No, we simply flog it off to some other country.

• Funny 1

29 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I have one from Intentio, which looks like it will build up very nicely - provided that I'm up to it!

In that case I will be learning from you! :D

Never even seen an Intentio kit.

28 minutes ago, longchap said:

Pah, January 2021 start? That's nothing, I bought a kit about 4 years ago and then discovered an earlier start of the same kit in a tin trunk from (whispers silently) from 40 plus years ago. 

Still, almost certainly not a record! 

Bill

Finally I feel better about the cattle train I was going to build from Cooper Craft kits back around 1985. 

At least they're finally going to be built for this layout. I have @Bluemonkey presents.... to thank for that, the problem of the useless window bars solved.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Here Mr Rob what about the back scene. Thought you were going to get that done so that you could get it in place prior to do doing all that other Gubbins.

You know I didn't sit here reading all that stuff about self erection and not having creases in your curved bits to only have you loose interest you know.

Looking forward in the next master class.

I'm not taking an entirely abstract approach here, it was more the fact that I am likely to get paint / glue / static grass all over it.

If it goes in after the last couple of feet of landscape on the back edge of the layout is done, it can stay put.

Plus I don't want to be sawing wood on the bench in the workshop until I finish assembling the engine that's laid out in bits on it. 

Don't worry about getting it erected. I always keep a good supply of wood just in case....;)

I won't be farming things out to third world slave labour either.

Just as in all historical wars and disasters, an upper class English girl has volunteered to help. 

There's no way I can fit a 4.8 metre backscene by myself.

Not without some sort of foul up anyway.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

22 hours ago, MrWolf said:

This is the other glopster, at first, it reminded me of the paint jobs I did on matchbox cars when I was about eight. 

But it has scale wheels fitted....

IMG_20220110_113507.jpg.f95b133a285c15a7a9239ed32c90719b.jpg

IMG_20220110_113512.jpg.298ed692d77387331fa4f125b958e6fe.jpg

Nice.

I'll be trying out your suggestions on these two heaps. I only use the bodies and rooves, the rest isn't up to much!

Maybe someone had a layout based on a scene from War of the Worlds and has tried to cover it in Martian red weed.

• Funny 2

8 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Maybe someone had a layout based on a scene from War of the Worlds and has tried to cover it in Martian red weed.

Possibly whilst smoking industrial quantities of Moroccan red weed?

13 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I wouldn't use that on plastic. It used to be acetone, although probably isn't these days.

Definitely not on plastic.

I believe there are two types of nail varnish remover: the original acetone variety which you can still buy which I've used for mazak stripping. Never on plastic though as it would attack the polystyrene. Then there's non acetone, which apparently contains ethyl acetate or nethyl ethyl keytone as the active ingredient.

The non acetone formulation is generally considered less effective at removing nail varnish, although I believe it would probably have the same effect on plastic. I'm unable to vouch for its abilities as either a paint stripper, plastic melter or even a nail varnish remover! :lol:

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, DRoe96 said:

Speaking of Signal Boxes, has anyone used the light railway stores custom plates?

https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/products/npp-114?variant=11141952193

I'm thinking of getting one for Coombe Town but interested to hear of other's experience.

Zoom in on the plate. That is one

4D99C7BD-CE0A-49DD-B276-0BD6E73050E3.jpeg.c070fc09479fba10adebef295444f3fb.jpeg

Alex

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Never even seen an Intentio kit.

Likewise but it turns out I have a pile of them, next to the pile of Expecto kits...

Ah. Found them. Their used sleepers were recently pointed out to me, after I'd built a sleeper-built buffer stop for the club layout...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 6

Those sleepers are tempting, I have previously cut them from coffee stirrers and stamped the ends with a piece of steel filed down to chair size, an old 5/16" bolt in fact.

Handy if you want to make a big fence, but time consuming! 

If you do a sleeper fence, it's worth noting that a lot were cut into a point at the top to throw off rain and make them harder to climb.

The link for the signalbox nameplates is useful too. I was wondering where I might find them for future projects as I used the old Coopercraft ones and we all know what happened to them.

IMG_20211212_211942.jpg.ec5609f9108b1ebe5b7a463eae9f69fe.jpg

Image lost.

Edited by MrWolf
Technology that fails to deliver
  • Like 10

21 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

Nice signal box. It reminds me (though I didn't need it) that I need to make some point rodding!

Alex

I kept saying that for months. Turns out that it isn't like a trip to the dentist after all!

• Like 4

No worries, I can't keep up with it myself half the time.

I splashed out on some of the Hills and dales series from ID backscenes a while back because they're close to the actual location topography.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The link for the signalbox nameplates is useful too. I was wondering where I might find them for future projects as I used the old Coopercraft ones and we all know what happened to them.

Hold your horses on that. Another RMwebber is on the point of introducing a service to provide these as PDFs. He kindly sent me a set to try and they're very good.

See:

• Like 5