Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

2 hours ago, David C said:

The main problem with backscenes which are removeable and have curves at the corners is how to transport them to and from exhibitions - or even move house. Printing on canvas could well crack, which would look worse than a right angle or two in sky and be very expensive. 

David C

Exactly. But I have a cunning plan. As many have suggested, a banner type of backscene would be ideal.

I think what I will do is construct some removable boards for the ends of the layout, a lightweight frame for across the back and fix all of my existing ID backscenes together.

It could then be clipped to the frame as @Northroadersuggests, taking on a natural (dictated by the cut corners of the landform) curve at each corner.

If I need to dismantle, I can unclip it and roll it into a document tube.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, AdeMoore said:

Trying to visualise that CK, following on Callow so will see it there no doubt.

I couldn’t think of a way without support.

My offering below Backscene just sits in a slot between scenery and support frame.

0EA2150F-C720-4463-90ED-4A34B19ECBC9.jpeg.d6e86173799cb2372519b5bc62830bd6.jpegFFC1F354-593C-4505-8488-E06240E6D72E.jpeg.c428fc26b124879e17e474df39adc5bf.jpeg

Though the support frame has a dual purpose to support hidden track bed.

Good work Rob BTW.

That's what I'm talking about!

A picture is worth a thousand words etc etc

Thanks for that. Very useful.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, AdeMoore said:

My offering below Backscene just sits in a slot between scenery and support frame.

0EA2150F-C720-4463-90ED-4A34B19ECBC9.jpeg.d6e86173799cb2372519b5bc62830bd6.jpegFFC1F354-593C-4505-8488-E06240E6D72E.jpeg.c428fc26b124879e17e474df39adc5bf.jpeg

Good work Rob BTW.

Just wondering what the sheet material is you’ve mounted your backscene on?

Thanks

Jay

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

Good work Rob BTW.

Interesting, thanks for that.

As it happens, that's exactly how I have arranged the backscene on 'Bethesda Sidings', which was printed (from my own photos, stitched together very kindly by Andy Y for me) on a kind of waterproof vinyl, by my local printer (who also does outside signs).

Callow Lane will be a little different, in that I am not using a photo backscene as such, but combining various elements, such as photos of other buildings, mounted on a sky backscene. Most of the backscene area will be taken up by low relief buildings.

Sorry for hi-jack, Rob!

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Exactly. But I have a cunning plan. As many have suggested, a banner type of backscene would be ideal.

I think what I will do is construct some removable boards for the ends of the layout, a lightweight frame for across the back and fix all of my existing ID backscenes together.

It could then be clipped to the frame as @Northroadersuggests, taking on a natural (dictated by the cut corners of the landform) curve at each corner.

If I need to dismantle, I can unclip it and roll it into a document tube.

Here’s a link to how it looks:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107190-“washbourne”/page/50/#comment-3976075

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JustinDean said:

Just wondering what the sheet material is you’ve mounted your backscene on?

Thanks

Jay

Hi Jay,

I wouldn’t bother, it was an experiment that is not a success. It’s proplex builders floor protection sheet.

As only £4.10 for an 8x4 sheet. But the lines from the make up of corrugated cells show on the surface once in position. I think probably white MDF thin sheet is the way forward.

• Informative/Useful 4

On 30/12/2021 at 09:54, NHY 581 said:

These are on amazon at present...........

295890617_Screenshot_20211230-095104_SamsungInternet.jpg.228a7bf80163619d26a51584d57b1770.jpg

A bit of choice therein. Most useful. 

Rob. 

Thanks Rob, a set of these have just arrived, very useful they are too.

I'm going to have to hide them, someone else who lives here likes them too.

I don't want to be hunting under her side of the bed for them...

IMG_20220104_211714.jpg.187c94a0fd34f4a07cb796970981127a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh they look as if they could be quite........ahem.......intrusive. 

Glad to be of service. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Nah, we're safe, they'd only disappear for mundane tasks such as disentangling a knot in a silver chain for instance, that job has been accomplished with much satisfaction before I've even found a practical use for them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

Liking this a lot. Am planning to use something like this on the next layout.

As I never intended to exhibit Bovey Tor, I attached the backscene to the wall using 2x1 struts and held in place with screws. Unfortunately though when selling the layout, it was impossible to remove it intact.

Rounded corners every time, even though it's a bit more challenging.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Rounded corners for me whenever I can.

I couldn't have achieved the same sweeping look without one.

Radius is approx 300mm and I used 2mm MDF layers, first layer screwed/glued to the wall and then top layer of the same glued only.

It just doesn't say corner...

2735.jpg.e42e63e59384500a81689236a7a06b57.jpg

One idea I had and used many years ago was a glued layer of three sheets of thin panel (ply/MDF). The backscene was bent on a former, each layer glued, in this case I used Cascamite (probably the best slow setting wood glue I have ever used).

Once set it holds its shape and can be fixed accordingly.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Thanks all for your advice, I think that I had better get on with the backscene before the actual horizon, that being the edge of the baseboard gets cluttered with items that are likely to get snapped off.

I feel some carpentry coming on!

Cascamite glue is wonderful stuff, it's even been used to hold aeroplanes together.

I've used it to layer up slightly less glamorous items, but it works really well, I used it for this bogus art deco counter amongst other things.

0300108a.jpg.90e342a21cd31daf0deafd1f8db9116f.jpg

Plywood is wonderful stuff in itself.

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11

Rob, Mr @NHY 581of this parish has acquired an LBSCR D1 in 4mm scale and I mentioned I an ancient 7mm scale version inhabits a friend's collection.

It's at least fifty years old but we can't decide if it's scratch built, kit built or some low volume commercial offering.

images lost.

IMG_20220105_155056.jpg.01ea1a6d94bb7d94a6e46889229aff03.jpg

IMG_20220105_155115.jpg.0fed5f9ba098c474835599ffb534b770.jpg

IMG_20220105_155338.jpg.3c5183a8b0f240155b7829ecf19b1b51.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Image missing
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Cascamite glue is wonderful stuff, it's even been used to hold aeroplanes together.

I've only just discovered it myself. It was recommended to me for the 45' trawler I'm currently scratch building. With plywood for the keel and bulkheads. And Obeche for the planking. It really is good stuff.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, KNP said:

in this case I used Cascamite (probably the best slow setting wood glue I have ever used).

Once set it holds its shape and can be fixed accordingly.

Cascamite, now that takes me back! We used that in Woodworking class at school. I have a 40 year old coffee table at my Dad's house held together with that stuff. It survived many of my younger brother's houses parties intact, after being much abused!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 57xx said:

Cascamite, now that takes me back! We used that in Woodworking class at school. I have a 40 year old coffee table at my Dad's house held together with that stuff. It survived many of my younger brother's houses parties intact, after being much abused!

I think we all had to build a coffee table back then. And still on the table theme, I built a 6x3' snooker table for my CSE finals. Got the green baize and cushion rubbers and pocket nets from Bennetts in the Old Kent Road. Now that's going back a bit.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, MrWolf said:

In the olden days it was popular for ballasting, mixing the Cascamite powder and the ballast dry, spreading the mix where needed and then spraying with wet water. When set, it was somewhat permanent...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Gedward said:

I've only just discovered it myself. It was recommended to me for the 45' trawler I'm currently scratch building. With plywood for the keel and bulkheads. And Obeche for the planking. It really is good stuff.

Aerolite's also good for real-life aircraft- and boat-building.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Gedward said:

I think we all had to build a coffee table back then. And still on the table theme, I built a 6x3' snooker table for my CSE finals. Got the green baize and cushion rubbers and pocket nets from Bennetts in the Old Kent Road. Now that's going back a bit.

Oh I remember Bennett's. I seem to recall there was one in ilford just down from the railway station. That's going back.

• Like 2