Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

10 minutes ago, Graham T said:

"cowing lush" definitely warrants a funny.

A traditional Welsh phrase, believed to have originated from hen nights around Splott and Barry island....

Source: Wikidrunks.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

A traditional Welsh phrase, believed to have originated from hen nights around Splott and Barry island....

The mental images of Rob embroiled in a Barry Island hen night are not needed at this time of day. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

That's a real relic. It's a contraption known as a Station signal and said to probably date back to the 1860s when the line was built. 

IIRC  they were designed to show approaching trains that the station was clear to enter. There was never any other signalling on the line.

Impressive bits of wrought iron lattice work though.

323635147_BishopsCastleRailwayHorderleystationshortlyafterclosure.jpg.6da0ed5cd9a4bbb7f13d25a255bbcd0a.jpg

Horderley looking south.

bishops(harden1928)castle_old19.jpg.3867c25a04494f9711ecd469fc830bbb.jpg

Bishops Castle, to the right of the engine shed 

It would be a fun challenge to make a working model of that signal. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

I can't figure out if it's a lamp or balance weight halfway up the post. It would definitely make an interesting model.

44 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I can vouch for that as an ex barman who used to work in one of the Cardiff City Centre pubs back in the day (but not Splott).  Hen nights were always good fun, and I even had my bum pinched on occasion when collecting glasses from the tables.    Yes O.K they were probably very drunk.  

"Well lush" was another term, and if you were a guy who saw an attractive woman  - you'd comment she was "smaaaart" - (extended A's). or "cracking".  In the interest of equality females may well have used the same terminology about males .    

• Informative/Useful 2

From what I have seen in work environments where women are in the majority, the language, innuendo and general behaviour is far worse than that of men. In fact if men behaved like that in the workplace, they would undoubtedly be sacked and quite probably prosecuted!

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Why make it work? The prototype didn’t, or at least, didn’t for very long.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

From what I have seen in work environments where women are in the majority, the language, innuendo and general behaviour is far worse than that of men. In fact if men behaved like that in the workplace, they would undoubtedly be sacked and quite probably prosecuted!

Maybe it’s because we’re conditioned not to expect that behaviour from women so that when it does occur it seems worse?

Edited by JustinDean

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I can't figure out if it's a lamp or balance weight halfway up the post. It would definitely make an interesting model.

I've chopped this photo of a similar signal at Horderley down from a larger original. 

20220603_131159-01.jpeg.363d0e20de49597fcdf456a1fa222461.jpeg

Rob. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Balance weight about 6 feet up, ground signal style spectacle plate at about 14 feet, semaphore at 18 or so the lamp seems to be on a windlass for servicing, hence no ladder. That's a very useful picture Rob and not one I've seen before.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

When telephone exchanges had lots of ladies on the switchboards making young apprentices blush was a favourite. Wandering into a pub which a hen party has chosen can be a bit of a shock too.

Don

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Of course, this is all based on men’s ideas of how women (should) behave.

Being the sensible half of the human population, they simply comply when (the wrong sort of) men are around, and then do what they want to when left alone…

• Agree 3

Quite. We're all as bad / good when it comes down to it and flirtatious behaviour is part of our animal make up. 

There are of course those whose behaviour is totally unacceptable. Our half assed and unequal attempts to prevent harassment have proved to be ineffective, as they're not applied equally to everyone. This has resulted in the continuation of often barbaric behaviour on the one hand and on the other created thousands of young people who daren't strike up a conversation with the opposite sex. 

It works both ways. It took a divorce for me to realise that women too can be malicious coercive ###holes too, just like men.

It certainly didn't colour my view of women, Miss Hood doesn't put up with BS from anyone!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Donw said:

When telephone exchanges had lots of ladies on the switchboards making young apprentices blush was a favourite. Wandering into a pub which a hen party has chosen can be a bit of a shock too.

Don

Forty-odd years ago, after hard day's work playing trains at IMREX, a few of us went for a drink in the Frog and Firkin and found ourselves in the middle of a hen night with some very attractive young ladies from the BBC, including a very well-known children's TV presenter of the time. Very pleasant.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I've had four attempts at uploading some progress pictures

Every time I get the message "unknown server error" .

I give up. Maybe tomorrow.

Morning Rob,

I've had the occasoonal glitch since normal service has been resumed. However, the image has loaded on the second attempt. Last time this happened was, funnily enough, yesterday. 

Rob. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

I've come across this image in Ken Lucas' "The Bishops Castle Railway-A Pictorial Presentation which perhaps better illustrates the signals used at Horderley etc. The caption is self explanatory. 

20220605_092806-01.thumb.jpeg.02d43e4a7714ddc60cfb3c05fb1e3dd3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Now that is an image and a book that I have never seen. 

Interesting to know the makers of the signal too, I think that has long been a mystery until that picture surfaced. I think that is the winding drum for the lamp mechanism to the left of the worker's head. 

• RMweb Gold

Posted by the Bishops Castle Railway Society’s Facebook page on Jan 1st this year 

“Today we go to Horderley Station. The original ticket office is on the right. The signal is believed to be at the National Collections Centre Storage facility in Wroughton near Swindon. The Society has contacted them with a view to returning the signal to Bishop`s Castle for display at the Weighbridge Railway Museum.”

May be of interest given the current conversation. 

Jay

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Stephen’s & Co supplied signals to the LSWR, amongst others. The MSE kit for the lattice post signal is ideal for making a model: even more do in S - that’s the source of the signal on Lydham Heath.

DD7350DE-2557-4AC4-969D-1BE88DEA6A06.thumb.jpeg.10efc746bf9b1c3bb1bb9350965f9bb8.jpeg

However, these signals remained in situ, despite being unused, as the BCR remained privately owned and esoteric. We’re it to have been foisted on the GWR, I imagine that the signal would have been removed.

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/06/2022 at 23:09, Winslow Boy said:

I don't think Mr Musk is sending rockets to mars just because he's concerned that we might all die in the next pandemic he sees a business opportunity. Is that greed though? I don't know and whether the cost is ours - we buy things from Amazon- or his it's motivating him to do it.

You're mixing up Musk and Bezos.