WR ‘15XX’ 0-6-0PT - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
On 29/09/2023 at 16:18, AY Mod said:

Might I have got away with calling a Pannier ugly? 😁

Merely regarded as either a personal oversight for whatever reason excuse you care to come up with,  or a passing aberration in taste from which you will undoubtedly recover given time.  (As you are aware emoticons are not currently available so you'll have to  - maybe - regard my words as seriously meant..)

To me the 15XX always looked 'purposeful'  and had a hint of modernity that was absent from the original cab style version of the 57XX.  (still no emoticons ...)

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 29/09/2023 at 12:43, MikeParkin65 said:

It strikes me that the apparent jerkiness downhill is the caused by the stock being 'loose coupled' which of course in real life it wouldnt be.

PS Mike, even with no coaches it is not happy running downhill.  The best I can get with a Gaugemaster DS is to put it on nearly full power and use the brake simulator to slow the engine.  However if you slow the engine too much it only seems to make the stop start motion worse.  The good news is that there were not many gradients on the line between Paddington and Old Oak Common.  Cheers Ray

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Apologies if I have missed it on here, but it seems that Rapido do read and respond to questions.

I just wondered whether they had made any statements regarding how these QC issues will be

avoided in the future ?

Rapido make some excellent announcements, several of which I have on pre-order.

Cheers.

• Like 2

No manufacturer can guarantee their will not be any future QC issues. Equally it is quite likely that an individual shops supply of a particular model will all have a similar fault as the lack of attention on the production line would be likely to affect a number of models which then get boxed together and ultimately that box finds to its way tol a particular shop. That was the case way back when Triang Hornby released their 9F and the entire stock in one shop turned out to be dead despite apparently having been test run before despatch from the factory.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Butler Henderson,

Thanks for replying, I was referring to plans to tighten up QC at the factory responsible really, or

whether they in fact have more than one factory.

It must be just as, if not more frustrating for Rapido.

At the end of the day though with more and more models selling out on pre-order it seems, we

need confidence in the finished product.

No disrespect intended to Rapido, it applies to more than one manufacturer.

I’ll ask them directly.

Thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Judging by Rapidos comments it sounds largely like a one off. Certainly I had no problems with the Hunslet or Lion. Apart from the latter really needing a touch more glue in the fixing of its chimney.

Fitted Railtec 3D plates to 1501. Allowed them to dry once off the backing paper and then glued in place with a permanent tacky PVA

IMG_20231001_162057.jpg.005ad61cb92e32ab44454c352a9ffa15.jpg

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

Terrible video but hopefully it captures what I consider to be a more than acceptable runner (minimal wobble). Shes a fussy runner with no stay alive but I like that as unlike our big heavy diesels with stay alives that mask dirty track to an extent the 15xx highlights dirt on the track. Keep that track clean and she is an absolute peach. 

Edited by Moley48
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Evening all,

OK - lots to take in here but people have asked some interesting questions. Please understand that I cannot go into exact details of things for a number of reasons but I will do my best to explain a few things.

1) We work with four factories in total who provide items for both the UK and North American companies. As a result I would like to say to people that yes we have had an issue BUT it is limited to one factory and is not affecting others. As a result I hope you will have confidence in your other orders with us.

2) This is the first time this factory has let either Rapido company down and frankly - it’s come out of nowhere. We are discussing it - but with Canada 5 hours behind me and China 7 hours in front discussions are not always as quick as I would like. It is also not helped that it is a National holiday in China this weekend so things we’re winding down and shut. Rest assured we are all speaking and will be ensuring things like this do not happen again.

3) The samples we received in advance showed no issues. When the production batch arrived we randomly selected a set % of each SKU for testing and did not find any widespread issues. We have a policy on how many returns we expect on each product line (a set %) and our. checks fell under this. What we have subsequently found is ‘groups’ of dud models within the run and other ‘groups’ of great models. We obviously got lucky (or unlucky) with our testing and didn’t find a bad batch. I am however looking at the policy to decide if we should sample a larger % going forward. It’s a fine balance between sample size and the enormous amount of time and man hours doing it. Checking every model would not be possible…

4) Away from this product we monitor all our warranty. Those of you who have used the system know we have an online form. It helps us keep track of repairs and returns but importantly also gives us data to analyse. Looking at last products we have had a fairly steady and even % of returns as expected. The exception is the class 28 in N gauge - where the decoder issue (from a 3rd party) meant the returns for replacements made the number higher. Take the decoder out and we were still on track.

5) Until Covid Rapido would regularly send staff to China to meet with the factory owners and managers. Covid has killed that off and it’s only recently we have been able to return. We have staff going over this month and they will be visiting this factory and taking some of the models with them to discuss.

6) When things like this happen we obviously get a lot of genuine returns - but sadly we do also get a lot of others that have been caught up in the (often) online hype from certain pages and reviewers. These get sent back as ‘poor runners’ etc and we check them out only to find there are no issues but the customer (or retailer) just wanted them checked and serviced. Whilst we want to give our customers the best customer service possible it does slow down dealing with issues for other people.

7) Whilst we see lots of glum comments in several places we have had a huge amount of happy people. Sadly this one is turning out a bit marmite - the good ones are excellent (even if I say so myself) but the bad ones are embarrassing and not what I want from our brand.

Hopefully that explains a few things. I know it’s no consultation to anyone with a poor model but I have lost a lot of sleep over this and feel for everyone. This week should be pure excitement with the arrival of Titfield but I always work to the lowest denominator and sadly there are unhappy customers and until they are happy again I won’t be smiling as much as I should.

If anyone has a problem please get in touch. We want you to be happy!

Happy Sunday.

Andy

Thanks Andy

as I’ve previously said a great model and mines a good runner. I appreciate the time you’ve taken to respond and think that this reflects really well on the company. Personally I’m looking forward to my Titfield Thunderbolt set, W&U tramway coach and B set. Appreciate the hard work and the fact that when things don’t always go to plan the key things is how you react. Which you’ve done with real class. Keep up the good work. 

all the best

Nick

• Like 3

@rapidoandy

You've been very open and your team on here have been communicative and responsive.

Problems afar set aside, I'm sure we'd all agree that this sets a welcome and high bar in terms of customer engagement which is an increasingly rare commodity in this age.

Good luck resolving the fundamentals - here's to getting that smile back!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Having read of the problems encountered by others in this topic, it was with some trepidation that I opened my model 1505 from Hattons today, having arrived in Western Australia. Beautifully packed, along with 3 D1666 wagons and an EFE bus from my trunk, the box had survived the journey unscathed. Upon carefully opening, looking for stray parts, the model was gently removed and visually examined. All good, no bits missing, no obvious glue marks, scratches, decoration excellent. So on to the rolling road. Noted a slight wiggle, but nothing to cause concern. After running in for an hour each way as recommended, the detail parts were fitted, and the loco taken to the layout.

A 12 coach train of Hornby/Bachmann LMS stock circulated without difficulty, quietly, no slipping, no fuss, no waddle. A 35 wagon freight, a known 'dragger', taken again, equalling the Heljan diesel performance. Slow speed over dead frog double slips and three way/ double reverse curved points, no problem! Absolutely blown away by this one, my track is far from perfect, but no problem. 

I would urge all those who have been disappointed to bear with Rapido and get a good one eventually, you won't regret it!

Thank you Rapido, hope the E1 is just as good!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 2

21 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Evening all,

OK - lots to take in here but people have asked some interesting questions. Please understand that I cannot go into exact details of things for a number of reasons but I will do my best to explain a few things.

1) We work with four factories in total who provide items for both the UK and North American companies. As a result I would like to say to people that yes we have had an issue BUT it is limited to one factory and is not affecting others. As a result I hope you will have confidence in your other orders with us.

2) This is the first time this factory has let either Rapido company down and frankly - it’s come out of nowhere. We are discussing it - but with Canada 5 hours behind me and China 7 hours in front discussions are not always as quick as I would like. It is also not helped that it is a National holiday in China this weekend so things we’re winding down and shut. Rest assured we are all speaking and will be ensuring things like this do not happen again.

3) The samples we received in advance showed no issues. When the production batch arrived we randomly selected a set % of each SKU for testing and did not find any widespread issues. We have a policy on how many returns we expect on each product line (a set %) and our. checks fell under this. What we have subsequently found is ‘groups’ of dud models within the run and other ‘groups’ of great models. We obviously got lucky (or unlucky) with our testing and didn’t find a bad batch. I am however looking at the policy to decide if we should sample a larger % going forward. It’s a fine balance between sample size and the enormous amount of time and man hours doing it. Checking every model would not be possible…

4) Away from this product we monitor all our warranty. Those of you who have used the system know we have an online form. It helps us keep track of repairs and returns but importantly also gives us data to analyse. Looking at last products we have had a fairly steady and even % of returns as expected. The exception is the class 28 in N gauge - where the decoder issue (from a 3rd party) meant the returns for replacements made the number higher. Take the decoder out and we were still on track.

5) Until Covid Rapido would regularly send staff to China to meet with the factory owners and managers. Covid has killed that off and it’s only recently we have been able to return. We have staff going over this month and they will be visiting this factory and taking some of the models with them to discuss.

6) When things like this happen we obviously get a lot of genuine returns - but sadly we do also get a lot of others that have been caught up in the (often) online hype from certain pages and reviewers. These get sent back as ‘poor runners’ etc and we check them out only to find there are no issues but the customer (or retailer) just wanted them checked and serviced. Whilst we want to give our customers the best customer service possible it does slow down dealing with issues for other people.

7) Whilst we see lots of glum comments in several places we have had a huge amount of happy people. Sadly this one is turning out a bit marmite - the good ones are excellent (even if I say so myself) but the bad ones are embarrassing and not what I want from our brand.

Hopefully that explains a few things. I know it’s no consultation to anyone with a poor model but I have lost a lot of sleep over this and feel for everyone. This week should be pure excitement with the arrival of Titfield but I always work to the lowest denominator and sadly there are unhappy customers and until they are happy again I won’t be smiling as much as I should.

Happy Sunday.

Andy

Thank you for this information but this falls a bit on stony ground as when even the the replacement I received has the same fault the the original one returned to you. Let me explain: I purchased the NCB model from a model shop in Llanelli. When I opened it the whistle arrangement fell off. I also tested the wheels with a 9v battery (I do this before putting it on the track as I have DCC only) and found that the front and centre set of wheels picked up power but not the rear (driven) set. I took it back to the model shop and the owner confirmed my suspicion that the rear set of wheels was not picking up power. He returned the model to you and I received a replacement on Saturday. On opening up the blister pack the chimney fell off! On testing with the 9v battery I had exactly the same outcome as previous in that the rear set of wheels are not picking up current. I have filled out the warranty form and am waiting for you to email me the return details as I consider it not fair on the model shop owner to have to deal with this problem 

Edited by Grimfool
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Grimfool said:

Thank you for this information but this falls a bit on stony ground as when even the the replacement I received has the same fault the the original one returned to you. Let me explain: I purchased the NCB model from a model shop in Llanelli. When I opened it the whistle arrangement fell off. I also tested the wheels with a 9v battery (I do this before putting it on the track as I have DCC only) and found that the front and centre set of wheels picked up power but not the rear (driven) set. I took it back to the model shop and the owner confirmed my suspicion that the rear set of wheels was not picking up power. He returned the model to you and I received a replacement on Saturday. On opening up the blister pack the chimney fell off! On testing with the 9v battery I had exactly the same outcome as previous in that the rear set of wheels are picking up current. I have filled out the warranty form and am waiting for you to email me the return details as I consider it not fair on the model shop owner to have to deal with this problem 

Hello Grimfool,

I don't currently have access to the warranty system as I am WFH today but I do apologise for the hassle. I am hopeful that as you are coming direct to us that there is no risk of something being lost in translation.

Pieces falling off are particularly annoying as we are finding that even models that are checked before they leave us are being so battered in the post that they are no longer complete when arriving. Potentially some improvement to packaging to be made there.

Please be advised there is a small delay this week due to staffing but we are trying our best to get these things fixed.

The 15xx uses plunger pickups and these should be working on all wheels.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

"The 15xx uses plunger pickups and these should be working on all wheels." Yes I am aware of this and as fas as I can see the plungers are touching the wheels on the rear set. I was going to see if the wires from the plungers were connected properly to the pcb but considered it above my pay grade on a brand  new purchase

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Grimfool said:

"The 15xx uses plunger pickups and these should be working on all wheels." Yes I am aware of this and as fas as I can see the plungers are touching the wheels on the rear set. I was going to see if the wires from the plungers were connected properly to the pcb but considered it above my pay grade on a brand  new purchase

Completely agree - they should be functioning on a new model. We'll take a look.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 01/10/2023 at 17:14, rapidoandy said:

Evening all,

Happy Sunday.

Andy

Can guess some of the so called (U Tube?) 'Reviewers'!

Bad luck with that and thanks for the run down.

Phil (1504...always been fine from arriving)

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 1

Tried and failed to remove the tension locks. Seem overly clipped in the mount and possibly needing the clip ends to be cut carefully. Opted to fit replacement NEM pockets. 

I had ordered a complete set of plates from Railtec and the thinner numbers of the smokebox numberplate compared to the printed ones have quite an impact on the "face" of the loco.IMG_20231003_155545.jpg.14ee8db87756ad7fb645d2a6dc71b392.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 01/10/2023 at 17:14, rapidoandy said:

Evening all,

Happy Sunday.

Andy

Hi

Again i would like to thank you for your post and open ness regarding issues with this model, however..........I for one had been looking forward to this one  for some time and one of the highest on my list to add to my collection.

I pre-ordered a sound fitted 1504 from Rapido for myself and another from my local retailer for a friend of mine.

I obtained both on the same day and when tested on the layout in DCC they both ran in Reverse , your colleague was made aware of this in a previous post and was resolved changing CV29 on both models .

I thought I was quite lucky with mine , all good cosmetically and running compared to some of the issues some purchasers were experiencing.

Now I am a modeller who weathers his models and adds coal lamps etc ,but thoroughly RAN IN  this model over the last week before any of my "treatment", so that I was satisfied with its performance , which I was , and have carried out weathering etc.

Unfortunately today i thought i would give it a good run around the layout , It struggled for a moment then went dead, no motion and no sound. I have checked the sound decoder on a ESU tester and its quite dead .I fitted a next18 blanking plate and ran it on DC and it ran but very erratically. I fitted the sound decoder from my Manor loco and it ran with sound but very erratically again, I have checked underneath the chassis and to my dismay found the same plunger pickup issues as my previous 16XX pannier had, only the centre drivers are in contact all the time , the rears have a gap on extreme sideplay and the front Drivers have one in contact and one jammed in the guide inside the chassis .

2 Major issues .

And it would seem that to get at the the pickups for replacement or whatever is a different set up to the 16XX, which was more straightforward.

Very disappointed when it was so promising and will not or cannot run on my layout.

If these problems had manifested themselves at the beginning i would have sent it straight back, and now this has occurred 2 weeks on ...where do i stand after my work on it ?

Rapido can have it back anyway as I have just about had enough of bad quality models and components from other Manufactures as well and really knocking my confidence in buying new.

Sorry for the rant but Ive wasted enough time investigating problems, rather than enjoying the hobby of running trains.

Have submitted a warranty claim to Rapido tonight.

image.png.a39717e524ae32f1d22093e480d8f8df.png

Edited by BRIAN T
to show the model in question and update post.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10