Come Froth with me!

finelines

• RMweb Premium

I promise you I do look at all the suggestions made on my threads and I did get the book about the 88DS. As far as I can see there are two types of cab, the difference being the windows, round or square corners. There also seem to be sliding side windows and droplight side windows (both round). I think you might be muddling this up with the 48ds which had the open cab. Some have weights bolted to the side of the frame. Some of the best pictures on fotopic are locked so I couldn’t download them to study.

I was expecting the Ribble Steam Railway to have one on the docks down the road, but they don’t seem to list one. The nearest seems to be at Embsay. If anybody can help with this potential project it would be appreciated. I have no pictures of the cab interior.

Roger

Oooh - I'd love an 88DS if one is in the offering, I've been bugging Impetus for a while but nothings come to fruition. If they're of use I've a few detail photos of the one at the West Somerset and the Bucks Railway Centre.

Pix

• RMweb Premium

I had actually identified the 88DS as a potential kit before it was suggested here, the suggestion just confirmed my own thoughts. I have now had a chance to look at Paul (Halfwit)’s pictures and with a set like that plus the square windowed one being the subject of the drawing, it’s really a no brainer to do this one type.

The thing I need is pictures of the cab interior.

Roger

I promise you I do look at all the suggestions made on my threads and I did get the book about the 88DS. As far as I can see there are two types of cab, the difference being the windows, round or square corners. There also seem to be sliding side windows and droplight side windows (both round). I think you might be muddling this up with the 48ds which had the open cab. Some have weights bolted to the side of the frame. Some of the best pictures on fotopic are locked so I couldn’t download them to study.

I was expecting the Ribble Steam Railway to have one on the docks down the road, but they don’t seem to list one. The nearest seems to be at Embsay. If anybody can help with this potential project it would be appreciated. I have no pictures of the cab interior.

Roger

Hi Roger,

There is an open cab varient of the 88DS with the cab sides similar to the open sides of an 48DS, see page 32 of David Hall's book. There is, I believe, an open cab loco at Hunsbury Hill in Northamptonshire, I have no photos as I went 'off season' and wasn't allowed in.

I had actually identified the 88DS as a potential kit before it was suggested here, the suggestion just confirmed my own thoughts. I have now had a chance to look at Paul (Halfwit)’s pictures and with a set like that plus the square windowed one being the subject of the drawing, it’s really a no brainer to do this one type.

The thing I need is pictures of the cab interior.

Roger

Roger, if your going ahead with this kit I'll see about getting some interior shots, probably from the Peak Rail or Foxfield one (assuming I'm allowed in the cab!).

Now the Ruston 88DS, send me drawings and I’ll give it serious consideration.

Roger

I have some GA drawings on original R&H sales literature and have recently crawled all over and measured up an 88DS with a view to scratch-building one. I have a number of general view photos and some detail shots too. If you are interested then send me a PM with and I'll see what I can do. I'm sure that between us, Paul and I can come up with what you need somehow.

Roger,

After you sent me a PM about this last Monday I invited Paul into the conversation and we have since put some considerable effort into this but you have not even looked into the conversation a week on.

Please read your messages and respond as Paul and I seem to be talking to ourselves about this!

• RMweb Premium

I willingly publicly apologise for not responding. I have read all the messages and was puzzled that one or two didn’t seem to be addressed to me. I didn’t know there was such a thing as a conversation.

I have been thinking that I should give a progress report, because there’s been lots going on here, but it’s a bit like the iceberg because it’s mostly invisible.

I find typing time consuming, so perhaps you could pm me your phone number.

Roger

• RMweb Premium

The stuff you and Ruston sent me was brilliant.. I am still thinking about how to do the "backead", if it were a finescale kit it would be lost wax castings, but it's a plastic kit designed for all range of abilities.

Roger

The stuff you and Ruston sent me was brilliant.. I am still thinking about how to do the "backead", if it were a finescale kit it would be lost wax castings, but it's a plastic kit designed for all range of abilities.

Roger

I'm glad that its been of use.

I like the idea of a loco kit for all abilities, it could only be good for the hobby. Will it be designed to fit straight onto a motor bogie? (The Knightwing 4w shunter kit isn't, which I feel lets it down).

I should think an 88DS would be a good seller, not only for those wanting to build their first loco kit or wanting an industrial for that brewery/scrapyard etc in the corner of the layout but also for 009 modellers wanting an alternative to the Knightwing loco to 'bash'.

And like the 48DS, the 88DS has a certain 'cult' appeal among enthusiasts.

Guest Max Stafford

I've got to say, this is a cracking little prototype that I've not paid much attention to before. A mini industrial layout could be spawned to make a home here for one! :)

How's the BZ going?

Dave.

Conflat P to go with the BoCo's. I can't see them being a commercial release...

UYV (Anhydrite) in plastic- I have etches for chassis for 16 of them, but a plastic version should sell, given all things S&C that seem to do well. I know 2mm soc. have a 2mm version...(Parkside, I think), but no 4mm version.

I find that building plastic kits is easy to do, but that time demands are harsh. I have 2 children, and have spent more than 1/2 of the last 4 years at sea...

James Powell

• 2 months later...

Hi Roger,

How about a Warflat? I know that there has been a pewter? model before which I believe is unavailable and a resin kit which is unsuitable for layout use and a etched kit which is only available to OO Society members so not generally available to the rest of us. So I'm sure that there is a market for a good plastic kit, not only for military trains but also for industrial modellers as a number of Warflats were used in steelworks.

I'm sure he would have replied but he is STILL having his posts monitored by moderators, which we find, hilarious! :lol:

Matt

The last post I can find by your Dad was six weeks ago, 15 November, so I'm not sure how he'd even know that. I'm afraid though that we have better things to do than routinely pick over situations that we've drawn a line under and moved on from.

If, however, you and your Dad are prepared to work with us and contact us directly, rather than being mocking and provocative like this, then it might be possible to review things. Your ball, I think.

Cheers.

• RMweb Premium

Conflat P to go with the BoCo's. I can't see them being a commercial release...

UYV (Anhydrite) in plastic- I have etches for chassis for 16 of them, but a plastic version should sell, given all things S&C that seem to do well. I know 2mm soc. have a 2mm version...(Parkside, I think), but no 4mm version.

I find that building plastic kits is easy to do, but that time demands are harsh. I have 2 children, and have spent more than 1/2 of the last 4 years at sea...

James Powell

James

Conflat P available from Judith Edge kits as an etched kit. A plastic version might just be a little difficult to do. The UYV wouldn't be particularly easy in plastic - the ones on Blea Moor were moulded bodies taken from masters provided ba a Leeds Club member with Judith Edge chassis etchings

Archived