Come Froth with me!

finelines

• RMweb Premium

Come Froth with me!

Lets froth and froth away!

Around Christmas I became ill and finally the Doctor changed one pill and it sorted me out. I woke up in the last month and found that we small suppliers had been despatched to one of the furthest flung arms of the galaxy with very few comments compared to the earlier versions of RMweb. So this is my effort to move the centre of the galaxy a bit closer to us

We have been left us with a huge backlog, and we’re very grateful for your patience, but I really could do with a bit of inspiration. So please froth away about what I should think about doing.

I know you are waiting for the Sea Urchin and the Thompson 6w brake, but something to think about would help.

Roger

any pre grouping 4 & 6 wheel passinger brake vans that made into BR

BR MK1 Horse box plus there rebuilds

any pre grouping perishables stock that made in into BR

or in less words any 4 & 6 wheel stock in the Historic Carriage Drawings Volume 3 ( the blue book)

• RMweb Premium

I could be really annoying here and suggest some Maunsell kitchen cars as Hornby haven't seen it worthwhile to do any, but they're not really in keeping with other Finelines kits, so I'd settle for anything SR or BR(S) related... :wink_mini:

Guest Max Stafford

It's good to have you back Roger, hope you enjoyed that sleep! The previous posters appear to have been reading my mind as my thoughts are primarily also of NPCCS and Engineers'/BTU stock. I'd echo the suggestion of a Mk1 horsebox. Any parcels/CCT/GUV type stock would be welcome. Since the Mk1 CCT is unlikely to be produced again by Masterclass models after the second production run, this might be have some potential as an injection kit too. Many pre-group coaches and brake vans ended up as tool and crew vans for breakdown trains. an NB brake would be nice in that respect, but I'd be happy with an NE or L&Y one! ;) Another frothworthy PW wagon from my perspective would be the big 'Sturgeon' dropside bogie rail/panel carrier. These appear to have been very widespread on the NER and ScR. I will also back the call for anything crane-related, be it a lighter PWay job or a Cowans Sheldon 45 tonner!

Finally, I think an LNER SWB brake van, LMS cattle wagon and coke hopper would also have potential. The latter is a nice wagon type, heavily used in days of yore and the erstwhile (and admittedly excellent) 3H kit really is hard to find these days.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

I have always said the maximum length I can make is 180mm, but I'm inclined think it is probably shorter. The largest mouldings I currently make are the 20ft 0n30 floor which are approx 125mm x 35mm.

Roger

Cambrian have had a Sturgeon on their to-do list for some time (their website currently says due in 2010) so it would be a shame to duplicate the effort.

I would also echo the call for Horseboxes - LMS standard version or either of the main LNER types would be more useful to me personally, plus one might expect one of the RTR manufacturers to tackle the BR Mk I version at some point (although there are of course no guarantees on this).

Assuming the previously suggested Red Panda version has bitten the dust, I think a 21st century rendition of a Gunpowder Van (BR standard or LMS/LNER version) would be popular. Grain hoppers and Covhops also seem to come up regularly although I appreciate these may be difficult to do because of the shape.

Hope this is of use. To be honest Roger, I'll find an excuse to shoehorn anything you produce suitable for the 1950s into my collection because the kits so far have been an absolute pleasure to build. Very glad you are feeling better.

Mike

*cough* BZ *cough*

NER V4 Brake Van (though I suspect this may be available elsewhere)

another call for the BR Horsebox.

GNSR Diag 58 Full Brake.

Of course this is the ramblings of a madman. B)

Guest stuartp

Another vote for the BR Mk1 horsebox, or milk tankers based on an actual prototype rather than the Lima/Dapol pastiches please. Not sure how practicable the milk tankers would be moulding-wise.

Take the chassis for your LMS fish Van and add something there ;)

Failing that, some nice new brake vans would be nice....

Or even better some coke wagons - LMS/BR...

Those 3H ones go for silly money these days :huh:

What about the 1/142 13T coal hopper Roger?

Mike

Yep, count me in for half-a-dozen, :lol: and the BR horsebox, and the LNER horsebox that Hornby-Dublo did in tinplate all those years ago!!!!

Cheers, Peter C.

Guest Phil

Or even better some coke wagons - LMS/BR...

Those 3H ones go for silly money these days :huh:

I'll second that.

Grain and Covhop are the favourites but I'll also add another. An anchor mount tank wagon - one of many designs apparently.

This nice lil fella would be ideal Roger :

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p64216984.html

Thanks as always to Paul Bartlett for the piccies.

Other options are the many designs of coil wagons which Hywel Thomas has made some excellent scratchbuilt jobs of ;

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt272/kierhardy/Morfa%20Bank%20Sidings/morfa_coil12.jpg

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt272/kierhardy/Morfa%20Bank%20Sidings/morfa_coil13.jpg

Your excellent plastic moulding design skills would really do these wagons some justice Roger.

Finally, I think an LNER SWB brake van, LMS cattle wagon and coke hopper would also have potential. The latter is a nice wagon type, heavily used in days of yore and the erstwhile (and admittedly excellent) 3H kit really is hard to find these days.

Dave.

Yes, the LMS coke hopper would go down very nicely here as well- Wouldn't say no to the LMS cattle wagon either, or the BR horsebox...

I'll second that.

Grain and Covhop are the favourites but I'll also add another. An anchor mount tank wagon - one of many designs apparently.

This nice lil fella would be ideal Roger :

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p64216984.html

Thanks as always to Paul Bartlett for the piccies.

Other options are the many designs of coil wagons which Hywel Thomas has made some excellent scratchbuilt jobs of ;

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt272/kierhardy/Morfa%20Bank%20Sidings/morfa_coil12.jpg

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt272/kierhardy/Morfa%20Bank%20Sidings/morfa_coil13.jpg

Your excellent plastic moulding design skills would really do these wagons some justice Roger.

Coil A and B could even use the 21t Minfit underframe he already does....

LMS D1878 Horsebox of circa 1925.

LMS D1871 CCT 6-wheel.

LMS D1873 Milk/Fish 6-wheel.

LMS D1875/D1882 Theatrical Scenery Trucks : outside frame wooden bogie vans built on elderly LNWR and MR chassis.

Any of those would be very tempting...

• RMweb Premium

Yes i know Cambrain do one already.... but a SR 25T brakevan(s) to your very high standards (great mouldings, good plastic and easy to build).

I'd also back calls for a Covhop.

Thinking completely out of the box.... how about a breakdown crane or conversion parts to upgrade the elderly Hornby one (ie throw most away and keep bits of the jib).

I'll shut up now ;-)

Yes i know Cambrain do one already.... but a SR 25T brakevan(s) to your very high standards (great mouldings, good plastic and easy to build).

Seconded!

I'm sure Roger will pick this possibility up for himself, but the high number of votes for the BR horsebox would suggest that it would be easy pickings for an RTR manufacturer should they decide to attack NPCCS in any meaningful way; likewise the BR CCT.

If hoppers are looking any more do-able, I'd back the earlier mention of the BR steel 13 tonner, plus iron ore types such as the family of very similar LMS 20T hoppers and maybe an ex-PO that doesnt have Chas Roberts plates on it

Come Froth with me!

Lets froth and froth away!

Around Christmas I became ill and finally the Doctor changed one pill and it sorted me out. I woke up in the last month and found that we small suppliers had been despatched to one of the furthest flung arms of the galaxy with very few comments compared to the earlier versions of RMweb. So this is my effort to move the centre of the galaxy a bit closer to us

We have been left us with a huge backlog, and we’re very grateful for your patience, but I really could do with a bit of inspiration. So please froth away about what I should think about doing.

I know you are waiting for the Sea Urchin and the Thompson 6w brake, but something to think about would help.

Roger

Good to hear - and thanks for my bit of the backlog - one of the USA tanks built so far and looking really nice.

Archived