Come Froth with me!

finelines

How about a class 375/377 Electrostar? Please? I know that would be a complete departure for you, and I wouldn't even buy one 'cos I'm on a student budget and don't even model in modern OO. But you did invite frothing, so there is some of the highest order.

Paul

Guest Max Stafford

If we're going down the road of hoppers, I most definitely wouldn't say no to a diagram 1/164!

Dave.

Parkside are looking at an LNER horsebox at the moment so i'd avoid that, I also agree with Pennine that a mk1 horsebox is probably a RTR item in a few years. Possibly do an LMS or Southern one?

MK1 CCT is also inevitable from Bachmann at some point.

Can you do the 21ton unfitted mineral without the top doors sometime?

You could do some of the longer LMS 17ft 6 underframe family though you'd need new solebar mouldings.

If you do look at brakevans then maybe the reversed LMS type or a different GW toad?

The LMS fitted underframe 10ft family still needs some attention..

The verandahs are reversed, in that the entrances are nearest the inner cabin, not nearest the headstocks. (if that makes any sense!) Paul Bartlett's site has some images alongside the more usual Stanier brake vans.

(Thinking on, whilst the Mainline-Dapol-Hornby 'normal' Stanier Brake isn't terrible, a kit to current standards might blow it into the weeds?)

The verandahs are reversed, in that the entrances are nearest the inner cabin, not nearest the headstocks. (if that makes any sense!) Paul Bartlett's site has some images alongside the more usual Stanier brake vans.

(Thinking on, whilst the Mainline-Dapol-Hornby 'normal' Stanier Brake isn't terrible, a kit to current standards might blow it into the weeds?)

Yup, what he said. Actually a plastic kit would probably be quite similar to the RTR item so I don't think it would improve much apart from perhaps saving the removal of all the plastic handrails if they weren't moulded on?

Actually i've just read the other thread on the etched kit range where you already seem to have a reverse LMS brake and a LMS horsebox..

The auld Mainline-Dapol-Hornby 'normal' Stanier Brake is a venerable design which needs an update really.

Some nice soul could do a nice, new kit and make a lot of very happy people :smileclear:

It could even be absolutely correct which would be even better...

• RMweb Premium

Wow! You’ve given me a lot to answer and it will take time.

Those of you who have talked to me before will have noticed I have not included the usual no hoppers or tanks. This is because I have obtained a new machine and 2 new pieces of software which may bring them within my capability. You’ll just have to give me a chance to find out what they can do.

I will only pick out one prototype mentioned here, the LNER horsebox, which I have started enlarging from our N gauge version. Of which, incidentally, Transport Models (Kitlady) have a few on eBay at the moment.

Roger

Phwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaorrrr... :clapping_mini:

Sorry that should be splendid Roger...

I think its fair to say you have a lot of happy previous customers chomping at the proverbial bit. :smile_mini2:

As people have said above I think it's hard to find items that going to be popular sellers, but not likely to be picked up by the RTR sector.

As people have mentioned the LMS/BR coke hoppers and BR Gunpowder vans should be a good choice. For the former it'd be nice to see some different types available (Raved sides and ends, raved side with 'plate' ends and all 'plate' bodies) and an off-shoot kit could be the sand wagon conversions. Aside from the 3H kit, there is an etched one but I wouldn't let this put you off as at £51 a wagon a rake of the latter is well out of budget for a lot of people (including myself). With the Gunpowder vans there was two types of body, but IIRC one was more common than the other. Perhaps these could even be available as bodies only as both types of chassis are availale from Parkside and Red Panda?

How about some ferry vans? The BR type would seem logical and the old Hornby model is certainly looking quite dated these days. Some 4mm versions of continental types would be nice too and I really can't see any of the RTR makes taking them on.

A Coil C (http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c26057.html) would be nice but I think I'm a little biased on that one!

With the LMS 20T brake van but I've got a hunch that Bachmann could have one in store over the next 18 months. I've got no inside knowledge, but as they've recently produced a new tooling in 2mm I'd guess that scaling it up to 4mm wouldn't be out of the question. It's certainly about time a decent one is made available.

Pix

The LMS fitted underframe 10ft family still needs some attention..

Given Bachmann's current involvment with the corresponding LNER items, and their unHornbylike policy of continuously improving their freight stock range, a betting man might think that was something else to avoid. There's a lot of scope there, and it would be the obvious thing to move onto in the traditional field.

The auld Mainline-Dapol-Hornby 'normal' Stanier Brake is a venerable design which needs an update really.

It could even be absolutely correct which would be even better...

Bit bemused by all this froth about the ex-Airfix Stanier. Apart from the handrails and the similarly deep-moulded stepboard brackets, what's so wrong with it?

In an earlier post I mentioned "brake vans"

I dare to mention some Pre-Group types that lived into BR days:

The GCR 6-Wheel Brake Vans [LNER Dig 73/73A]

Late LNWR Brake Vans - the "Crystal Palace" ones come to mind...

Late Build NBR 6-Wheelers... [NBR Diag 88/LNER diag 36B]

Late L&Y brake vans which I think had 4 and 6 wheel types... [L&Y Diag 61/61 Revised]

You have nailed some rare birds with your present range Roger - it would be nice, whatever you choose to do, to see something that makes one think "now that is different...." :clapping_mini:

The Kirk NBR 4 wheel Brake Vans always go for silly money on ebay another one?

++ NER Dia V3 with centre birdcage and 6 wheels looks very good . There is one available at the mo from another source but at £40 each too rich for me !!

• RMweb Premium

How about something completely left field... a moulding to do a 5,250 gal tender top to fit the Hornby tender chassis that comes with a Bulleid West Country or Battle of Britain? These come with either a 4500gal or 5500gal tender. It's an omission from the Hornby range that looks like they have no interest in filling as the manufacturers have moved on from the good old SR to 'other' lines. Judging from the price the old and crude Wrenn tenders go for there may be some mileage here.

Those of you who have talked to me before will have noticed I have not included the usual no hoppers or tanks. This is because I have obtained a new machine and 2 new pieces of software which may bring them within my capability. You’ll just have to give me a chance to find out what they can do.

Roger

If you do find you can do tanks then the RCH 1927 type would be appreciated.

i third the Covhop!

also how about

LNER 17ton alumina hopper and timber P for West Highland fans.

Thompson 6 wheel passenger brake van (BZ)

Toby

I believe the Thompson BZ may already be a work in progress...

A 22t fitted plate would be nice- not only a common wagon in 'as built' form, but the basis of many conversions, including Conflat P, Timber P and ultimately the 'Plaice' ballast wagon. I know Parkside do the LNER unfitted one, but the fitted type (preferably with a choice of brake-gear) would be so useful.....

In an earlier post I mentioned "brake vans"

I dare to mention some Pre-Group types that lived into BR days:

The GCR 6-Wheel Brake Vans [LNER Dig 73/73A]

Late LNWR Brake Vans - the "Crystal Palace" ones come to mind...

Late Build NBR 6-Wheelers... [NBR Diag 88/LNER diag 36B]

Late L&Y brake vans which I think had 4 and 6 wheel types... [L&Y Diag 61/61 Revised]

You have nailed some rare birds with your present range Roger - it would be nice, whatever you choose to do, to see something that makes one think "now that is different...." clapping_mini.gif

That's a thought- one of the longer-lived pre-grouping brake vans would certainly be interesting....

Also, how about engineers/departmental stock- we've already had the Ling and Tunny, any others worth thinking about?

Hi Roger,

Thoughts from me:

FPA container flat (believe basically an OAA frame with containers) - no longer available with departure of AME. Could also make some components work for a runner wagon and possibly even an OAA to replace that block that Hornby will never upgrade and no other RTR will take on...

What about variants of the TTA that Bach will never cover - eg CO2 TTA or LPG TTA?

At a push the model I would love is a Grainflow bogie wagon such as used on distillers traffic to northern Scotland - suspect this is probably a bit bigger than you are looking to do though.

I loved your engineers wagons and couldn't believe the level of extra parts and the quality of the mouldings compared to your competition. Await new releases with keenness!

Matt

Just picked up on this one- glad to hear you are on the up and up. If I can add my tuppence worth- how about an LMS cattle wagon? This genre is woefully under-represented, with scarcely a decent plastic kit around( Coopercraft apart, if you are a GW fan), and is of a type that tended to run in numbers rather than singly.

Richard

How about something completely left field... a moulding to do a 5,250 gal tender top to fit the Hornby tender chassis that comes with a Bulleid West Country or Battle of Britain? These come with either a 4500gal or 5500gal tender. It's an omission from the Hornby range that looks like they have no interest in filling as the manufacturers have moved on from the good old SR to 'other' lines. Judging from the price the old and crude Wrenn tenders go for there may be some mileage here.

I would second this too i also beleive a nice breakdown crane and a br mark 1 horsebox would be nice too

Archived