Come Froth with me!

finelines

A bit of a departure from your normal range, and I'm sure that I've mentioned this before, but how about a Ruston 88DS diesel shunter?

It shouldn't be too difficult to produce in plastic and there are plenty of them out there. This size of loco would be usefull for a variety of industries, some were used by BR. The kit could be designed to sit on a Black Beetle and could be a good intro to kit building. It is a similar size to the Knightwing 4w loco kit which is let down by being a foreign loco design not seen in this country and not designed around a chassis.

Another left field submission - BR Dia 1/350 Cattle Van...

They built nearly 1400 of the beggers...................... :blinkclear:

Or even a late period GWR cattle van?

Do you enough "froth" to mull over now Roger ?:drink_mini:

BR Dia 1/350 Cattle Van

Enlighten me; how is this different from the Dapol/Airfix one?

Another vote for the LMS/BR Grain wagon here; theDapol/Wrenn one is way too short and the only kit for one (brass, from Jim Harris) is only intermittently available if at all. There must be loads of BR (ER) layouts out there which could use a few of those.

Based on what you said back upthread I'm saving up for some LNER horseboxes.

Enlighten me; how is this different from the Dapol/Airfix one?

Its an auld LMS design...

Built 1949/50 I think - have not got the relevant bumpf with me mind...

3 lots were built: one of 100 and another of 150 [LMS underframe with LMS braking] and one of 1100 [LMS underframe with LNER braking...]. The last lot would have a certain "mmmmmmmm" factor :lol:

The Dapol/Airfix beastie is a diagram 1/352 and essentially is a tarted up GWR diagram.

Dear Roger

Only just noticed this thread,

How about the LNER Tubes (although I note what you say about length). The version with two drop doors was introduced in 1935 and BR built 500. In later life they were very popular with engineers and even some LNER versions survived to receive SATLINK livery. Tube traffic seemed to turn up all over the place - presumably as every community has to install new, or renew, water and sewerage systems.

"BR Tube wagons - LNER design" (C#759148) – 58 photographs

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c759148.html

LNER Tube wagons – 36 photographs

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c182370.html

Paul

York

• RMweb Gold

Dear Roger

Only just noticed this thread,

How about the LNER Tubes (although I note what you say about length). The version with two drop doors was introduced in 1935 and BR built 500. In later life they were very popular with engineers and even some LNER versions survived to receive SATLINK livery. Tube traffic seemed to turn up all over the place - presumably as every community has to install new, or renew, water and sewerage systems.

"BR Tube wagons - LNER design" (C#759148) – 58 photographs

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c759148.html

LNER Tube wagons – 36 photographs

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c182370.html

Paul

York

I think a 'Tube' of some description would be an excellent idea. As Paul suggests, it was the type of wagon that could quite legitimately turn up (often in multiple numbers) at any goods yard in the country as Stanton & Staveley originating pipe traffic went to just about anywhere for renewals or new water and gas main projects.

And a nice SD Freightlifter would be just right to unload the traffic in a WR yard :)

I think a 'Tube' of some description would be an excellent idea. As Paul suggests, it was the type of wagon that could quite legitimately turn up (often in multiple numbers) at any goods yard in the country as Stanton & Staveley originating pipe traffic went to just about anywhere for renewals or new water and gas main projects.

And a nice SD Freightlifter would be just right to unload the traffic in a WR yard :)

I thought 'Tubes' worked from Corby...

They did see a lot of work (especially the ones with full drop sides) carrying material for the 'Grey Funnel Line', and so would turn up at locations like Fratton. They were also used for aluminium slab traffic to various locations- including the Full Loads Terminal (Hafod Yard?) when you were at Swansea, Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick note to thank you all, I have been reading the suggestions and I intend to respond to all of them but Sharon and I have been doing our best to clear the backlog and I've had to help the boys extract their bits of my business.

Roger

• RMweb Gold

I thought 'Tubes' worked from Corby...

They did see a lot of work (especially the ones with full drop sides) carrying material for the 'Grey Funnel Line', and so would turn up at locations like Fratton. They were also used for aluminium slab traffic to various locations- including the Full Loads Terminal (Hafod Yard?) when you were at Swansea, Mike.

The aluminium slabs were going elsewhere when I was there Brian and I'm not sure if they were in Tubes.

Pipes from Stanton & Staveley were a long time freight traffic I think I might even have a pic somewhere (or in a book) of our local station receiving some in the early '60s and we had about 4 or 5 wagons a day coming into Reading Goods (not Coley) when I was there in 1967.

Hi Roger

As you are still considering thought I might ass my froth list for what it's worth:

In no particular order -

16T Palbrick

24T Covhop

20T Coke Hop

25.5T Ironstone Hop

20T Grain Hop

13T Coal Hop

Any of those would be highly appreciated!

Regards

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I can't get the Frank Sinatra / big band style out of my head now....

Nothing wrong with that! Nelson Riddle, Quincy Jones, Jackie Gleason, Billy May etc etc etc often playing while I browse RMWeb. Ok, so maybe more my generation than yours - and Limewire makes access easy.....

• RMweb Gold
a SR 25T brakevan(s) to your very high standards (great mouldings, good plastic and easy to build)

Thirded!

Quadrified!

Quintupled! and more!

I've always been partial to a nice bit of brake van, so anything in that line would go down a treat, please Roger! (but especially a decent S.R. one!)..

I'd also like to thank the very nice chap that suggested a Ruston 88DS - what a super thing that would be!

Thirded!

Quadrified!

Quintupled! and more!

I've always been partial to a nice bit of brake van, so anything in that line would go down a treat, please Roger! (but especially a decent S.R. one!)...

And what's so wrong with the Cambrian one?

http://www.cambrianmodels.co.uk/srwagons.html

Or, for that matter the London Road Models (ex-Derek Munday):

http://www.scalefour.org/londonroad/wagons.html

Both featured in Geoff Kent's Wagon book, volume 3 I think...

Adam

Please don't do the LNER/BR 1/445 tube wagon as I'm just about to start a scratchbuild using the ends from a Parkside pipe wagon.

For me it'd have to be grain wagons in any of the LMS or BR all metal versions. I need several and lengthening the HD/Wrenn/Dapol body is a bit of a nightmare.

Other than that I'd be happy with any wagons or NPCCS that were around in any sort of quantity in the mid 1970s.

Cheers

David

• RMweb Premium

I really will have to start digging into the list of suggestions, but the last post but one/two did strike a chord.

Firstly the SR Brake Van, it does feature very high on my list of requested models. I have always made a policy of not attacking fellow small manufacturers, even though it’s a dog eat dog world, Barry and I are both small dogs and he’s a decent bloke. I have one of his SR brakevans and I understand why people don’t entirely like it, I think it was a mistake trying to cover every type.

I smiled sweetly when he produced the Dancehall/Ballroom, because I had intended to do it myself, but was secretly hopping mad, especially when the roof profile was wrong to start with.

Now the Ruston 88DS, send me drawings and I’ll give it serious consideration.

Roger

The Ruston sounds nice. Certainly go for at least one of those.

Also...

Seeing as how the MC didn't like my style of music...

How about some more fishy types like a Sole & Haddock?

No self respecting LMR layout should be without a few of those.

Just my twopennethworth

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Roger

I have a 7mm drawing for the 88DS and a very nice cutaway showing the cab interior. Just used it to etch the interior bits for a 48DS I have been making for the last 10 years! I can't scan at the mo because of the eye op but will try and get it done in the next couple of days. I won't be over for a couple of weeks.

Cheers

Ian in Blackpool

Just a note that the 88DS is technically in the Impetus range owned by Karlgarin but according to his web page last updated in March 2009, not currently available and no price. I'd be interested in one in Plastic, and would request that if practical its engineered to accept EM/S4 wheelsets/chassis too.

And I believe forthcoming from Mike/Judith Edge. The most recent reference to the Impetus saga can be found here.

Adam

• 3 months later...

Archived