Signal Box Photos

10 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Bit of a feast there, Nidge! Well done!

Thanks Ian, having a bit of a 'clear out' so thought I'd post whatever pops up as I trawl through my bulging hard drive 😉

Plenty more to come!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

One I've posted before but a photo taken today for a signalling facebook group

Eccles Road
16/06/2023 (Friday)
Eccles Road signal box, Opened 1883, GER 4, McK&H, 21 levers, Abolished 01/12/2012 when Cambridge PSB took control of the level crossing and signalling

image.png.3ee326ea076f581289f378bdf7a5e5b5.png

• Like 16

On 15/04/2021 at 01:08, 33C said:

East Tilbury Level crossing Ground Frame 'box. Forest Gate 'box (with 5' Bugs Bunny on the step!). Woodgrange Park 'box. Ripple Lane new 'box. Rainham 'box (with lean!) Purfleet 'box. Grays 'box. Fenchurch Street 'box. Inside Pitsea 'box (with the legendary Ron on left.)

20210414_144413.jpg

20210414_144514.jpg

20210414_144544.jpg

20210414_144607.jpg

20210414_144648.jpg

20210414_144722.jpg

20210414_144738.jpg

20210414_144758.jpg

20210414_144942.jpg

Re-uploaded these photo's (after the great crash!) and also Ron's (left) later 'box, Low Street and finally, Shoeburyness 'box.

20200614_045747.jpg

20200614_155446.jpg

• Like 16

On 16/06/2023 at 16:03, beast66606 said:

One I've posted before but a photo taken today for a signalling facebook group

Eccles Road
16/06/2023 (Friday)
Eccles Road signal box, Opened 1883, GER 4, McK&H, 21 levers, Abolished 01/12/2012 when Cambridge PSB took control of the level crossing and signalling

image.png.3ee326ea076f581289f378bdf7a5e5b5.png

My understanding of the new system of crossing control is that the grey thing in the forground is the LIDAR equipment now used to detect any obstruction on the crossing.  it works by bouncing a laser from there off reeflectors at the other three corners of the crossing, the yellowy triangular thing on to opposite side of the line beilng one of the three, and if there is anything on the crossing it will obstruct the beam.

When the box was in use, the signalman would use the Mk1 human eyeball to confirm that the crossing was clear, and he then pressed a button labelled "Crossing Clear".  LIDAR was installed on several crossings on this line, and the boxes could then be closed, with control of trains transferred to the power box as mentioned.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

My understanding of the new system of crossing control is that the grey thing in the forground is the LIDAR equipment now used to detect any obstruction on the crossing.  it works by bouncing a laser from there off reeflectors at the other three corners of the crossing, the yellowy triangular thing on to opposite side of the line beilng one of the three, and if there is anything on the crossing it will obstruct the beam.

When the box was in use, the signalman would use the Mk1 human eyeball to confirm that the crossing was clear, and he then pressed a button labelled "Crossing Clear".  LIDAR was installed on several crossings on this line, and the boxes could then be closed, with control of trains transferred to the power box as mentioned.

The LIDAR does indeed sweep the crossing and will report "clear" if no obstacle is detected, the yellowy reflector is silvered but the light at the time of photo makes it look yellow.

When the box was in use, the gates were still used, so no "Crossing Clear" button, just the mechanical version, gate locks (ER1) and wickets (ER6).

The boxes were doomed anyway, LIDAR made it into a modular scheme ( = cheap,  = not great) scheme. When first installed the LIDARS were continually failing (NR had 2 teams who drove from crossing to crossing cleaning the lens to mitigate against this). Eventually they installed screens which open with the barriers and then close when "clear", wiping the lens as they go and they are very reliable now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

When first installed the LIDARS were continually failing (NR had 2 teams who drove from crossing to crossing cleaning the lens to mitigate against this). Eventually they installed screens which open with the barriers and then close when "clear", wiping the lens as they go and they are very reliable now.

Yes, I believe the snow caused real headaches.  I did wonder how they had solved the problem of the frequent fail-safes.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Yes, I believe the snow caused real headaches.  I did wonder how they had solved the problem of the frequent fail-safes.

Not snow - the agricultural sh*t mud thrown up by lots of tractors, all the crossings are in rural areas with lots of farm traffic, NR hadn't banked on the volume of cr@p which would be deposited on the LIDARs

I think the standard for LIDAR is something as random as being able to detect an unconscious 9 year old child on the crossing

I'm surprised the local yobs haven't realised the chaos they could cause with a brick stood end on.

Andy

8 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I think the standard for LIDAR is something as random as being able to detect an unconscious 9 year old child on the crossing

I'm surprised the local yobs haven't realised the chaos they could cause with a brick stood end on.

Andy

I don't think it even needed the yobs.  Cardboard boxes blown onto the line by the wind could do much the same.

For a period after the boxes had been closed and the staff made redundant, they had to post people to act as crossing keepers at several of the crossings for a while, and in some cases the former box was no longer available for them to shelter in.

• Like 2