RMweb

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

3 minutes ago, didcot said:

Can't say I blame them. They have been magnanimous in defeat and it's probably very raw for them.

3 minutes ago, Hobby said:

And I agree with everything Wolff said and fully understand Lewis not attending. Especially that actions speak louder than words. Wonder if they'll fine Lewis or deduct points from next season? 

I think if I were Lewis, I would go and ask if I can present Max with the Trophy tonight, and that would rub more salt in to the Red Bull and Max and also the FIA and Masi.

I can understand Toto's position and he is right not to go.

At the  end of the day, Max did nothing wrong on the day, he obeyed orders, and raced  for the win, just as Lewis would have done had the rolls been reversed.

Yes a tainted Champion, but by Masi and the FIA's doing, not his.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I think if I were Lewis, I would go and ask if I can present Max with the Trophy tonight, and that would rub more salt in to the Red Bull and Max and also the FIA and Masi.

I can understand Toto's position and he is right not to go.

Fill it with champagne and pour if all over him!! ;) :)

Toto doesn't have to, someone else from the company is going.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Gareth Collier said:

Although not a fan of Max's arrogance, nor his teams I do have a degree of sympathy for him. The title fiasco was nothing to to with him and despite now being world champion he will know in the history books it will always have an asterisk beside it saying see entry for Michael Masi.

It'll make his first title remarkable for sure.

Like how Lewis win his first with a last corner overtake of Glock who was on the wrong tyres (and wasn't Massa the "champion" for about 30 seconds until Lewis completed the race where he needed to).

I'm not drawing a false equivalence there or suggesting that rules weren't properly applied in 2008, but there is some symmetry at least!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Gareth Collier said:

Although not a fan of Max's arrogance, nor his teams I do have a degree of sympathy for him. The title fiasco was nothing to to with him and despite now being world champion he will know in the history books it will always have an asterisk beside it saying see entry for Michael Masi.

The Abu Dhabi fiasco wasn't down to him, but his driving through the rest of the year was. That Masi/Race Stewards seemed willing to accept it made him worse.  Even had he led the last GP from start to finishtowin the WDC, I still consider his driving as too often beyond the limit and potentially dangerous. There is no doubt he is has brilliant car control, but a great driver? He has yet to prove it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I very much doubt it. That depends on his contract with MB of course but I can see him giving it one more try for his eighth championship. And that depends on a level playing field.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, didcot said:

I believe Sir Frank was laid to rest today. A friend spotted the procession in Grove.

I wonder who represented The Williams Race Team and the F1 and FIA  seeing as the awards ceremony starts at 5pm.

I would have thought the likes of Hill, Button, Russell, Bottas, Stroll, Toto, Patrick Head, and Ross Brawn would all be keen to attend. 

• Agree 1

Further to my earlier query about when are the drivers allowed to put the power back on after the safety car comes in, after a bit of Googling I found this link, from Mercedes (in 2018) as it happens: Insight: Understanding F1 Safety Cars

It may actually be that my question never needed asking before, because all cars would normally be up to race speed over the mandated wind-up lap after the safety car came in. The cited article acknowledges that the safety car throws up tactical headaches of its own, so when the rules changed on the fly on Sunday it becomes a nightmare, but there's a deal of technical background about tyre behaviour under safety car conditions in that article. Not only are worn tyres intuitively disadvantageous, they also take longer to recover to operating temperature and hence the feel to the driver. Presumably the wind-up lap also concedes that this ought to be accommodated to a reasonable degree by the rules. But there's an implicit safety question that an immediate resumption of racing as on Sunday demands driving at the limit, when the drivers have not been given any opportunity to feel where their tyres 'new' limits are. Masi increased the risks of further mishap, therefore.

The Nim.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Hobby said:

And I agree with everything Wolff said and fully understand Lewis not attending. Especially that actions speak louder than words. Wonder if they'll fine Lewis or deduct points from next season? 

Hamilton's absence from the FIA Prize Gala is a breach of F1's sporting regulations, which makes it mandatory for the top three finishers in the championship to attend.

Article 6.6 of F1's Sporting Regulations states: "The drivers finishing first, second and third in the Championship must be present at the annual FIA Prize Giving ceremony."

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Does his appointment this week for a knighthood give him a get out jail free card for it?

It certainly placed him outside of any F1 or team bubbles for Covid, so maybe he can miss it.

Must have already been planned though, so what would have happened had he won?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Hamilton's absence from the FIA Prize Gala is a breach of F1's sporting regulations, which makes it mandatory for the top three finishers in the championship to attend.

Article 6.6 of F1's Sporting Regulations states: "The drivers finishing first, second and third in the Championship must be present at the annual FIA Prize Giving ceremony."

Does it give an indication of what the punishment could be?

If it's anything up to exclusion from the championship I think he could be excused for feeling that in the present circumstance that's immaterial to him?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, SR71 said:

Does it give an indication of what the punishment could be?

If it's anything up to exclusion from the championship I think he could be excused for feeling that in the present circumstance that's immaterial to him?

Or a ban from next year?

• Like 1