P2 New build

Sorry if this has already been done, or if the A1 trust has a name in mind, but after the recent announcement of a feasability study into the building of a new P2, what are your suggestions for the name of number 2007? Obviously a fine sounding Scottish name would be appropriate, or does anyone have an alternative? Over to you.

Yeah, thought about Auld Reekie myself, but thought it's not the best sounding of names compared to Cock o the North, Earl Marischal, Mons Meg, Wolf of Badenoch, Thane of Fife and Lord President. Something evoking ancient legend and the power of Scotland would be appropriate, but I can't bring anthing to mind without going away and studying. Come on you Scots, this is your chance! Did Willam Wallace or Robert the Bruce have a nickname?

Given that Tornado's name was decided by one of its major donors, I expect the new project will follow the same policy.

This isn't necessarily a good thing. The A1s had an unusual mix of names so it might be possible to fit Tornado into one of the many themes.

However the naming philosophy behind the original P2s was specifically related to people, places and things of significance to the region between Edinburgh and Aberdeen. Holyrood certainly fits into this philosophy. So would Balmoral.

Willam Wallace and both Roberts (the Bruce and Burns) were from Ayrshire and the Black Douglas line is from South Lanarkshire. Somebody suggested Highland Chieftan but Edinburgh and Aberdeen are on the wrong side of the Highland Boundary.

My suggestions were Saint Margaret (to get a bit of gender balance) or a generically Scottish Knight of the Thistle.

Cheers

David

This has already been done to death and beyond on the LNER forum. Can't we wait until they actually start building it before we froth?

Yes indeed, but not everyone here is a member of the LNER forum like you and I, and would perhaps like to share in the fun?

---

My own suggestion was Eastern Eagle for the bird theme - one of the names I liked best when I heard it on the LNER forum was Lady of Lochleven - a fantastic name that suits the design I feel, a very well thought out name too. That was a suggestion of the user "redtoon" on the LNER forum.

A former A1 name, Madge Wildfire might be appropriate, it comes from the Scott novel The Heart of Midlothian, a statue of her is on the Scott Monument in Edinburgh. especially if it gets band in a hot dry summer, for lineside fires. ( unlikely! )

Jonathan, no offence but I did start my OP with an appology. I quite like the sound of the old A1/A3 name "Knight of (the) Thistle". A proud Scottish title and a connection to the LNER. One thing I would like to say is that I will support he project with my own small contribution should it come to fruition. Will stick to 2001 Cock o' the North for my own N gauge conversion though. Will post photos as things develop. (or not!).

Guest Max Stafford

It's a shorter plate than Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland though...! ;)

Dave.

Guest Phil

There was a link between some of the class 87 electric names, as has already been mentioned, and one of my favourites was Borderer. Whilst I accept it doesn't have the "hit you between the eyes" kind of appeal, I think it somes up an ECML locomotive very well.

However, I've just realised it was already carried on 60155 so I guess it is out !!!!

To Jonathan W. Please remember that we aren't all "died in the wool" apple greeners which occupy the aforementioned forums, so I think it is OK to have a bit of naming fun on here. It might be boring to you, but it probably isn't to others.

It's a shorter plate than Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland though...! ;)

Dave.

I don't think that is an appropriate name for something as flamboyant as a P2.

More suitable for a Black 5 I reckon. :)

Bernard

If it looks like 'Cock 'O the North' and smells like 'Cock 'O the North', its 'Cock 'O the North'. (It got a wedge front after only 3 years)

'Pride of the East Coast' might be more appropriate seeing as the new P2 will probably spend much of its time in England.

Arbroath Smokie gets my vote and has irreproachable regional credentials.

But will it be restricted to only running when they are in season?

What about a sponsorship deal? An approach to Glen Eagles would be a start.Or that Trump fellow. Sorry better not go there.

Bernard

Archived