Exeter St Davids

bootneckbob

2 hours ago, treggyman said:

Hi 

That looks very effective.......

A very good idea that certainly will give the impression of depth......

I feel I may have to 'borrow ' the idea myself.....

Thanks for the comments Bill. Please borrow away! I don't look at many other layouts for ideas (as I'm copying a prototype) but I do like it when I do and see the other person has tackled something the way I have or would. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I am being good, another hour or so on the layout again. I kept going with the foliage. 4 sheets painted and another 1 pretty much completed. I think I ned to re order some spray adhesive and green leaves!

I took a shot of the layout before I finished. It pretty much shows the whole scenic section of the layout with Cowley Bridge top left, and the incline into the tunnel (which is just out of shot) for Exeter Central bottom right. You can just make out the transfer shed and the brewery by Red Cow crossing at the top centre.IMG_20240109_1946232.jpg.35fcbccaac49b418ed758dcf363f53d8.jpg

The incline section still needs re ballasting. Apart from there being more track on show than there was before, I lifted the track down to the crossover to remove the DCC powerbase I had laid. That was only fitted for the steam train which has since been sold on. The cement I put down as my ballast base is now dry so I need to refit the missing sleepers and get on with it.

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 18

1 minute ago, John Besley said:

That's quite some view from above the tunnel, how wide is the board from rhe loco yard to Platform 1, looks quite a long reach over

It's 4ft something. The TMD section folds down to get better access to the station area while I'm building and if needed when it's built. It's normally down but I thought I may as well do the messy scenic stuff on it as that will be the very last section to be done and it's quite a large area to work on for now. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That looks just like I saw it last month on my way to Crediton, always go that way from Paignton... back of St Thomas, over Red Cow and out to Cowley Bridge. The other back way is too tight in a large van for my liking... I do value my mirrors

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, bootneckbob said:

I spent the afternoon completing the 4 background sheets I'd started in the week, and putting some ground material down on the foam behind the raised wall. Years ago a bought some trees called forest canopy, I had thought they were rubbish, but I dug them out today and used some of them. I have to say, I think they look pretty good. They are mixed in with some seafoam and horsehair. The gap between the ground and the trees will be filled in with trees planted in the foam. I also did some laying of some cable trunking but there's a lot more to do on that.  

The first picture shows the difference between the back scene with and without this addition. You can also see the cable trunking I did. The newly laid part isn't perfectly straight.IMG_20240113_1915525.jpg.e864aea93ce460b59f68794894c7e750.jpg

IMG_20240113_1916204.jpg.6bf424531f87b400ebb88c5e2dbb8a1c.jpg

IMG_20240113_1916443.jpg.e3c5aaea4d929dc37d4153653cb69872.jpg

Looks Bob on the backscene treatment! Better by far than without coming together rather well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/01/2024 at 11:11, Siberian Snooper said:

Will you be building a cover for the drop-down section, to avoid damaging it whilst it's down and you're up against working on the main board?

On 12/01/2024 at 14:40, bootneckbob said:

Not planning to. I won't be doing much to that board until all the work is done on the station.

I wasn't thinking so much for construction work, more when maintenance is required, track cleaning, recovery of recalcitrant stock etc.

I'm not planning to. The track cleaning is done by a CMX track cleaner, although I do polish the rails with 2000 grit W&D. 

TBH having the canopy section is more of a concern as that fitted will make access really difficult should I need to get in there. The only thing I'm slightly worried about on the drop down board will be the water tower. The 2 sheds will be ok.

The canopies will need to be removable but also stable. Still thinking about that one. As I haven't found any canopy columns I like that look right, I'm thinking I'm going to have to make my own. I don't have a 3d printer so it will be a 'crafty' method.

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

18 minutes ago, bootneckbob said:

TBH having the canopy section is more of a concern as that fitted will make access really difficult should I need to get in there.

Surely you plan to make the platform buildings (and canopy) removeable? I use the method to 'recess' all the buildings into the platform surface as this makes the join 'vertical' instead of 'horizontal', and is tends to be much less visible. It has the useful side effect of ensuring consistent location of the building.

Here's a photo showing part of a platform recess:

IMG_20231103_201623_resize.jpg.15ba024847af5cb4758bdd5dc5548460.jpg

And this is with the building plonked into place:

IMG_20231103_201642_resize.jpg.1ab627cfffc9dd2042428582f16ab9eb.jpg

You can also see the 'recess' outline on the overbridge with the same purpose.

Ian

• Like 4

Hi Ian, the canopy will be removable. I expect there will be 4 or 6 canopy sections excluding the 2 bridge sections. It used to feel like I was years away from the station, but after the push with the red cow end it's definitely getting closer.

• Like 1

John, I spent ages searching for the 'bing bongs' before the announcement and in the end I found the train station announcement generator. That was great although my trial run out and I'm not sure if the guy who developed it ever took it to market fully.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Only an hour in the shed this evening so I tidied up the ground layer I did yesterday either side of the brewery, and at the other end of the station I made the corrugated shed in the Royal Mail depot. I assume its for bikes and motorbikes but its pretty big and huge in real life. The backscene at this end is really difficult and I'll either have to leave it or one day paint a landscape of Exeter city; hmmmmmm??

IMG_20240115_181528.jpg.62cf498880c7ed76370a31b2ba3ef462.jpg

IMG_20240115_181622.jpg.4edcfbb7393279223fffc902314593b0.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Could take a batch of pictures and use an overhead projector of the city background, with care you could then draw round the outline and paint it in.

I did this 50 plus years ago for a school project of a Std 5 running into Exeter Central useing one of my Fathers transparencies... this is somewhere in the basement as it was painted on hardboard, must have a hunt for it...

• Like 1

I used to use an OHP when I was a YTS sign writer sometimes; before we got a vinyl computer plotter. I think I could take your idea and use a modern projector to do the same thing. Or I could just wing it free style. Haven't painted landscapes since I was at school, and that pre dates the OHP! 

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, bootneckbob said:

I used to use an OHP when I was a YTS sign writer sometimes; before we got a vinyl computer plotter. I think I could take your idea and use a modern projector to do the same thing. Or I could just wing it free style. Haven't painted landscapes since I was at school, and that pre dates the OHP! 

Do a dummy run on some hardboard, and you might be surprised how it come out

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

You could take a series of overlapping photos and send them to id backscenes, I would aim at a 25% overlap as a minimum, they will combined them together and produce a print around 8 or 10 foot long for around £16. Sorry I can't give a link but googling should give you the company website.

I used a medium resolution setting on my camera and they removed some of the unwanted rubbish for me.

Edited by Siberian Snooper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've just stumbled on a youtube video which actually shows what the 'brewery was' probably in my time frame. The quality isn't great, but it's definitely a furniture shop or distributer of some sort. 

Sheds.jpg.ed6beb420ff67c74fe9b43a1c2446cab.jpg

Further more it shows the next shed which I believe to be a garage of sorts. Not enough to confirm it, but enough to show the colours, door and windows.

garage.jpg.8c8e4750572d40aa51b4a22fdd870051.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 4

I started work on the Royal Mail 'porta cabin' tonight. It's going to be in the 'style of' but very much freestyle on my part. I'm not using the foam board. That was just for a rough gauge of size. The cabin will be card, but first off I needed to glue the frames to clear acetate. Hopefully I'll find time tomorrow evening to cut out the windows and put it together.

IMG_20240122_192619.jpg.b359393e80f6a13e38f49596fd15d751.jpg

As the glue was dry on the foliage sheets I did yesterday I placed them back pretty much as

they will be. So that's about half of what I need for that stretch of the road.

IMG_20240122_192909.jpg.5123f8d9068ca838a1ed39af248a1ff4.jpg

IMG_20240122_192925.jpg.436c8fb624d26867181d78eb0b2ed031.jpg

Slow and steady!

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1