Ruston's Industrial locomotive and wagon workshop thread.

When I start weathering I always find it's a bit of a lottery how heavy it turns out. I mean I can go deliberately light or deliberately grotty and work from there but everything in between seems to be out of my control! Most important thing is that it looks great - fantastic piece of work - that picture of it running by the water, if you dialled the colour down to make it look like a 50's picture, or showed it in B/W it would be hard to believe it is a model.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

I'm surprised you didn't seal the transfers before weathering.   Do Fox Transfers hold up to paint?

I did. I put a coat of matt varnish over them. It's just it can't have been left to dry for long enough. The wash must have softened it and got in to the decals. I'm going to scratch off the wrinkled parts and make it even more weathered.

The original plan would have avoided having to apply individual corners and lines. It was to have complete panels printed on clear decal paper, which would also have had company lettering and engine number. I employed the services of a decal company and after waiting two months the decals were useless. The lining was all zig-zagged, as was the black shading under the letters. I've enquired with others but no one can produce what I want to the standard that I want.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That didn't quite go to plan. It didn't fit through the arch! There wasn't much stopping it, in fact I reckoned that if the cab gutters were trimmed then it would clear but with such a short wheelbase on a relatively long engine, coupled with the generous amount of side play built into the chassis and wheels, it could have still hit the arch.

I didn't get to try that out because as I attempted to trim the gutter, using a scalpel, the cab collapsed. I had used Mek to make the joint where the cut had been made and the plastic that Hattons used seems to be a lot more resistant to Mek than Plastikard is. The rear pillars shot off and were devoured by the shed floor monster. I had a spare cab from the Grant, Ritchie build, so I used that and left the gutters but took another millimetre off the height. It now fits the tunnel as intended but has a full rear panel and windows on the cab.

DSCF9413.JPG.696916d2de1771a15e71cfcf1824bf9e.JPG

It is running on Watery Lane until the new layout is ready for it.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Several pages back I posted a blurry pic of this. It has been resurrected and the lower part of the boiler added to the frame. Peckett W/n 492 was an inside-cylinder 0-4-0ST. From the running plate up it looked identical to a W4, so a spare Hornby body has a use. The prototype had deep buffer beams and two sets of buffers. On the model, the upper set are the Hornby ones, whilst the lower ones are RT Models castings. The wheels on the prototype were of a larger diameter than on the W4 and had no balance weights. The previous pic showed a set of old 14mm Romfords under it but they are a bit naff so I will use standard Hornby wheels.

DSCF9419.JPG.5f02c60a8e8a5cd48b10298e96c38c51.JPG

I've got a bitsa gearbox to go in it.

• Like 9

This is the reason for the cutting away of the footplate.

DSCF9418.JPG.a881ff447551b66f0c4dfe6f2adaef46.JPG

The cab is a 3D-print, courtesy of James Hilton, of Planet Industrials. The smokebox front is also from the same source. They are pre-production/test parts for an as yet unreleased conversion kit. The front buffer beam is a spare from a previous Pi cab kit. I have the etched brass roof to add but will need to make a rear buffer beam myself.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

I slapped some paint in it late last night. When I got to work on it this afternoon it was dry and ready to proceed with. I was thinking that the colour choice had been a bad one, but now it's had the shine taken off it, and the first stages of weathering added, I like it. Under all that crap is Phoenix Precision BR coach red.

DSCF9421.JPG.a5afdca32b48e54b4abf5abee8bb9b94.JPG

Note the small diameter dome cover and lack of safety valves. Looking through the IRS Peckett book I noticed that some reduced height engines had a small diameter dome cover, which was just that; a brass cover for the steam dome. The safety valves were fitted to the top of the firebox, so that's what I have done here. Holes have been drilled in the cab roof where the steam from the safeties would be directed up a cowl and through the roof.

The chassis is still in works. The motor has been removed and the casting that forms the lower part of the boiler has been removed to be painted to match the rest of the engine. It will also be getting a replacement motor and the cylinder block will be modified.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Bottom of the chassis block opened out to take an 11x15mm speaker.

20221002_141013.jpg.69e27ec1d18b858dd029e28f243c1030.jpg

To properly weather the frames, the wheels need to be removed. The tops of the cylinders have been filed to represent the wrapper going around the top, rather than coming up to the edge of the valance.

20221002_161307.jpg.2715bcd9f25cad66e0514707739e4ce0.jpg

• Like 10

I had another spare Peckett body to play with so hacked it up yesterday. My local model shop have some tins of discontinued Humbrol paints for sale and No.36, Pastel Green seemed like a good idea.

20221009_165628.jpg.e6c6be15325e2dae34db01284fe99288.jpg

It doesn't seem such a good idea now.

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, Ruston said:

I had another spare Peckett body to play with so hacked it up yesterday. My local model shop have some tins of discontinued Humbrol paints for sale and No.36, Pastel Green seemed like a good idea.

20221009_165628.jpg.e6c6be15325e2dae34db01284fe99288.jpg

It doesn't seem such a good idea now.

Back in the 1970s my mother had a mini this colour, my dad bought it her.

She had it a week.

It's a bit cold out so I've just brought it in from the shed to help the paint dry in the relative warmth of the house. Bloody Hell! The colour looks even worse now! No wonder it's a discontinued shade.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

A friend has given me his Peckett on permanent loan.  He'd fitted it with Dingham couplings, which I don't use, and during the struggle to remove the rear one I damaged the handrails that run up either side of the cab backsheet.  I assumed it would be a simple matter to replace them with brass wire, but on further investigation I've realised that the original handrails are moulded integrally with the backsheet and that fitting replacements looks like being a far from simple task - the beading at waist height being the trickiest bit.

I guess you must have damaged those handrails at some time during the numerous drastic alterations you've done to your host of Pecketts.  Any advice?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ruston said:

It's a bit cold out so I've just brought it in from the shed to help the paint dry in the relative warmth of the house. Bloody Hell! The colour looks even worse now! No wonder it's a discontinued shade.

Plenty of weathering should make it look a bit better.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, mike morley said:

A friend has given me his Peckett on permanent loan.  He'd fitted it with Dingham couplings, which I don't use, and during the struggle to remove the rear one I damaged the handrails that run up either side of the cab backsheet.  I assumed it would be a simple matter to replace them with brass wire, but on further investigation I've realised that the original handrails are moulded integrally with the backsheet and that fitting replacements looks like being a far from simple task - the beading at waist height being the trickiest bit.

I guess you must have damaged those handrails at some time during the numerous drastic alterations you've done to your host of Pecketts.  Any advice?

I have. Assuming it's just the handrail itself that are broken, and not the beading, then there are two ways of fixing it.

If the rail is broken but still attached at both ends, and isn't bent, it will usually click back into line. A small amount of MEK can be run into the joint to weld the rail back together.

If a part is missing then the rail needs to be cut out and the beading/roof/buffer beam be drilled through with a 0.5mm drill and the rail be replaced with 0.45mm brass wire. You will need to get the backsheet out to do this. It is held by glue at the join with the roof and with the buffer beam. The buffer beam has slots into which the backsheet fits. If you're lucky it will come apart simply by taking hold of the sheet hear the top, with tweezers, and wiggling it until the glue gives way. The same applies with the bottom joint. If that doesn't work then it's scalpel time.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It isn't finished yet. The chassis is a borrowed one and couplings have yet to be fitted, plus a little more detail weathering, but it's a huge improvement on the dayglo mess that it was a couple of days ago.

DSCF9457.JPG.2a079c7dafd18f27c89d6115ce3d2b6c.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I intended this one to be another addition to the Harboro stone fleet but toning down that awful "pastel" (more like dayglo lime!) green took a lot of weathering. It gave me the idea of having it as a former gasworks engine. The Westinghouse pump on the front isn't for air brakes but is supposed to provide compressed air for opening and closing the hopper doors on small internal use wagons that would charge the retorts, as I understand happened at Beckton.

DSCF9462s.jpg.c2ababfc436edc81079ad1cd346dc7ce.jpg

DSCF9461s.jpg.8f1cb3885ebf37d93b71135a04affe62.jpg

DSCF9460s.jpg.ba59af867d0450111ae7b8c1c5b05734.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2