Ruston's Industrial locomotive and wagon workshop thread.

I'm right chuffed I started a conversation. I, honestly, am not an expert on the 0-8-0 Sentinels.
The idea just popped into my head.
Mike, if you are doing a kit of the Steel 0-8-0, I'll have to start another warchest as well as the warchest for the Dorman Sentinels.:lol:
Regards, from a wet Manchester, chillin' with my cats,
Chris.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Moor Green pair were the short wheelbase version, as were the Ebbw Vale ones. The Scunthorpe (Normanby Park actually) had a longer wheelbase which made changing the brake blocks a lot easier - however this pushed the two final drive gearboxes outwards - which moved the engines and radiators outwards and made the whole loco longer. Another interesting variation with the Normanby Park locos was that they eventually ran with the centre portion of the coupling rods removed, presumably to help them get round corners.

I've got the test etch for all of these (including the surviving ex army one), just waiting for time to build them.

The Dorman Long Sentinel is ready now (at least until we run out of .3mm wire) - see the Judith Edge kits thread.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

The Moor Green pair were the short wheelbase version, as were the Ebbw Vale ones. The Scunthorpe (Normanby Park actually) had a longer wheelbase which made changing the brake blocks a lot easier - however this pushed the two final drive gearboxes outwards - which moved the engines and radiators outwards and made the whole loco longer. Another interesting variation with the Normanby Park locos was that they eventually ran with the centre portion of the coupling rods removed, presumably to help them get round corners.

I've got the test etch for all of these (including the surviving ex army one), just waiting for time to build them.

The Dorman Long Sentinel is ready now (at least until we run out of .3mm wire) - see the Judith Edge kits thread.

Thanks Mike, I'll have a look.
Which version was the Longmoor loco?
That is the only 8-coupled Sentinel I know.
Regards, 
Chris.

I have used a Zimo MS500, with Paul Chetter's Sentinel sound project, from Digitrains. The speaker is a 15x11x5mm ESU and the Stay Alive is a Lais DCC 870001. The speaker will fit in the fuel tank area. Nothing has had to be chopped, except for putting a small hole in the driver's desk for the speaker wires, and the same in the back of the cab. The fuel tank needed some of the screw moulding to be ground out but if you use a smaller speaker that won't be necessary. Grinding it out doesn't affect the fuel tank being screwed to the running plate as the screw is only about 3mm long.

DSCF8734a.jpg.f3194fba2ed53411f90b05bd3774ae5f.jpg

The buffers have been taken off to give improved working space when filing and sanding down filler in the buffer beams. Those plug things that Hornby provide to fill in the hole where the tension lock couplers fit are all well and good but the join shows up too much for my liking. I cut the filler piece from the thing that plugs into the NEM pocket and glued it in place before filling the join. This means I can still remove the chassis if needed. The side sheets are off as part of the repaint and probable replacement by home-made wire handrails.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

The Hornby Sentinel has been finished, based closely upon RR 10288, as seen at C.F. Booth, Rotherham, Feb 1988. I just need to make and fit some lamps to go on the cab for it to be completely finished.

DSCF8742a.jpg.453c53b0bb0aefff5e0c01a0653a32e5.jpg

RR10288-0288.jpg.c758523bb078a03411bbecbf00f64eab.jpg

DSCF8741a.jpg.7145d6015d7394127fcb28071995e38e.jpg

1300008514_RR10288@Booths_Feb88.jpg.897d99dc5c3c779f0e553fac993abd5b.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

There is also this one finished. Yesterday it was a brand new Bachmann model that I swapped for a 21-ton hopper. I was just going to weather it but someone at Bachmann really ought to look at more photos of BR unfitted stock because I don't know where they get this idea that they were a bizarre shade of green from. I ended up having to repaint and weather it. The transfers are my own designs and the weathering has been done to more or less follow the prototype example, as seen on @hmrspaul's site. I also added some very thin plasticard above the ducket, to cover the planking and to appear as steel plate.

DSCF8750a.jpg.b54ad81773e4a56f4fcf177ef7f7746a.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

5 hours ago, Ruston said:

The Hornby Sentinel has been finished, based closely upon RR 10288, as seen at C.F. Booth, Rotherham, Feb 1988. I just need to make and fit some lamps to go on the cab for it to be completely finished.

DSCF8742a.jpg.6ddd53fcb49750c708d23e46b1c6bba2.jpg

RR10288-0288.jpg.c758523bb078a03411bbecbf00f64eab.jpg

DSCF8741a.jpg.055417777276148c43ce1ac8bff79819.jpg

1300008514_RR10288@Booths_Feb88.jpg.897d99dc5c3c779f0e553fac993abd5b.jpg

As usual, another superb job Dave.
Regards,
Chris.

Another brake van. This one was a gift from a friend. I've had it a couple of weeks now but haven't posted anything about it. Apparently, it's from a Bachmann trainset called "Military Manouvres".

DSCF8721.JPG.6a9b0ea693dbdd133156b2b0ba092d16.JPG

It now looks like this:

CAPply1.jpg.51ace7411cc1cb45dccc13b9761bfc93.jpg

All-plywood bodywork. I gather there was only one built as all-plywood, even though others were repaired with plywood. I found a good colour photo of the one (B951333) on the interweb, so that's it. Apart from the paint job, I've cut off the oil axleboxes and replaced them with roller bearing axleboxes and have added the two small grab rails near the ducket. The ordinary spindle buffers were also replaced with Oleos, which are sprung and from Accurascale.

DSCF8721.JPG

CAPply1.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

4 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Here’s another:

I've seen that photo before but smaller and the number was unreadable.Obviously there was more than one! I suppose it could have been completely rebuilt from a planked one but it doesn't seem likely.

• Like 2

Another project has been finished now that I have transfers for it. The Diag. 1/109 VB clasp-braked conversion of the Parkside kit, which I started on Page 21, is ready for service.

DSCF8805.JPG.f7fb5dd641f435c3f29fe2d9b4db1c21.JPG

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

I've done a little more work on the Diag. 1/274 Prestwin. The pipes and valves sit very high on the original Dublo model, so I've cut about 1.5mm off the bottom part. This throws everything out of alignment, so the single piece has had to be cut into two and a section of piping cut out where the two will once again become one. The plastic that the valves and piping is made from is a very soft and flexible stuff that resists MEK and even superglue won't take to it. Now that it's been cut down there is nothing of it going into the hole in the top and so I had to use epoxy and keep a weight on the whole lot until it set. Now to repeat the process on the other part and hope they line up at the joint between them.

DSCF8785.JPG.f4782ab80b2e169d06be0048a70de0f7.JPG

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I don't think I've shown the finished KYV, former 13-ton steel high, properly now that it's finished.

The KYV and the Pool transfers were drawn using Affinity Photo, which I still haven't really got the hang of. @Worsdell forever printed them for me.

DSCF8783a.jpg.25f52e83104264cb85e8e5a03d36d781.jpg

This little project has been hanging around for a while but in parts. I can't remember how I ended up having a spare Bachmann 16-ton mineral underframe but I did. I bought a second hand Airfix mineral for £3 at my local model shop and took the body sides off and rebuilt them around a rectangle of plastikard, which was then fixed to the underframe. Supports are spares from a Parkside kit and the bottom of the side door and the representations of the hinges are scratchbuilt. I give you the Frankenmineral! :D

Straight out of the kitchen sink, after washing off the salt, after spraying.

And now with wheels, a bit of brush-painting and some white paint added.

It's probably going to end up plated half way up the sides. Some more attention from the brush, plus some weathering powders is required, but that will come after lettering.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/03/2022 at 19:56, Ruston said:

I've seen that photo before but smaller and the number was unreadable.Obviously there was more than one! I suppose it could have been completely rebuilt from a planked one but it doesn't seem likely.

Interesting to compare the differences in handrails and rain strips between the two in the photo as well.

That's the Frankenmineral finished. Done as a Diagram 1/106 or 1/111 (depending on whether you go by Paul Bartlett's site or Don Rowland's book).

DSCF8804.JPG.09f262ed2354ef5852742f3867e57a86.JPG

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2