1950's Birmingham New Street - turntable and other scratchbuilds in N gauge

The Airfix kit does will need a lot of work to match the Minehead turn table, but less to make the Birmingham Snowhill turntable which was built by Ransomes & Rapier.

There are five pictures of this turntable on Warwickshirerailways.com. I cannot copy and paste a link unfortunately.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy,  the turntable was removed around 1963 as part of the new station rebuild; therefore, my period would be somewhere between 1958 and 1963.  This was the period that I used to go train-spotting there.  My uncle was an engine driver at New Street and was in his last few years before retirement around then.  He spent those years on one of the diesel shunters, similar to the Airfix one, and I would sometimes get a footplate ride on it.  We never went far, mostly up to the turntable and back.

cheers,
Mike

Edited by Royal42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some of the Navigation St/Hill Street bridge was replaced when the station got it's 1960s makeover, so may not be the same now.

The original Queen's Drive was removed at the same time.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=52.47819&lon=-1.90138&layers=168&right=ESRIWorld

Edited by melmerby

• Royal42 changed the title to 1950's Birmingham New Street - turntable and other scratchbuilds in N gauge