RMweb

Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

I have both Hornby and Bachmann Halls and can recommend both as they are different price points. The Hornby model is less detailed but cheaper and both run well with reasonable loads.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I have both unused examples in red and blue boxes and they look lovely and as soon as the mainline gets built, I'll let you know how they run.

Always happy to help Graham, now where's my hat and coat?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 27/12/2023 at 00:31, Schooner said:

How do you do? I...

726ccca4956e52e6084d9f5b5616be74.jpg

...see you met my...

Mmm.........so glad I didn't join the EM Gauge Society...........their AGMs look quite wild affairs.....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Graham T said:

At risk of opening an enormous can of worms, what’s the best RTR Hall on the market?

Some Bachmann Halls had some sort of error at the front end that Bachmann fixed. Not sure what it was. Bachmann also make a “Modified Hall” from the Hawksworth era so be careful when buying.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Graham T said:

At risk of opening an enormous can of worms, what’s the best RTR Hall on the market?

Hi Graham,

I have both the Hornby Hall and also a couple of the Bachmann Halls (not modified Halls as they are too late for our era). As others have said above both models have their plus points.

The Hornby one, comes from their so-called design clever phase.... and as such, the outside steam pipes are moulded into the boiler barrel. I have some Crownline* parts to change the pipes and must get round to it one day.

(*Crownline were a cottage industry company that retired ages ago. Its a shame no-one picked up the tools etc.)

Despite being a Railroad model, the loco has tender pick-ups, which the Bachmann ones don't.

Both Hornby and Bachmann models could do with being updated.

I have fitted the Hornby one with sound, which was a squeeze in the 3000 gallon tender. I've not done the Bachmann ones yet.

Lets hope Accurascale do the Hall class 4-6-0 ..... after of course they do a Saint class 4-6-0 😄

• Like 7

3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I have neither so both don’t run at all 🤪

I’ll also get my coat

Likewise. I'm afraid that I just don't have room for a 4-6-0 to stretch her legs, otherwise I'd be making noises about having a Saint or similar on the layout.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Likewise. I'm afraid that I just don't have room for a 4-6-0 to stretch her legs, otherwise I'd be making noises about having a Saint or similar on the layout.

I am sure you could justify a Saint 4-6-0 😎 Every GWR layout needs Saint 😎😎

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

The County 4-4-0 only just fits over the river bridge though! 😆

I am thinking that after the County 4-4-2T I might build a County 4-4-0.... thats after the 6 carriages of course!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I am thinking that after the County 4-4-2T I might build a County 4-4-0.... thats after the 6 carriages of course!

I have one of the later loco drive Hornby County 4-4-0s. It's a good runner but hasn't exactly been looked after. 

The plan is to upgrade it, replace the tender and turn it into a representation of County of Leicester in her last days.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I have one of the later loco drive Hornby County 4-4-0s. It's a good runner but hasn't exactly been looked after. 

The plan is to upgrade it, replace the tender and turn it into a representation of County of Leicester in her last days.

I have a spare chassis for the tender.... SE Finecast included it in my loco chassis kit.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I was pleasantly surprised in how well the loco drive County 4-4-0 runs and will be finessing it in due course.

Have fun with yours Rob.

Edited by longchap
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

I have a spare chassis for the tender.... SE Finecast included it in my loco chassis kit.

Possibly to cater for the older tender drive version? I think that you need a separate chassis as frames are only cosmetic.

One reason for picking County of Leicester as a modelling subject is that it ended up hitched to the eight wheeled tender from The Great Bear.

46 minutes ago, longchap said:

I eas pleasantly surprised in how well the loco drive County 4-4-0 runs and will be finessing it in due course.

Have fun with yours Rob.

Mine runs very well, but the traction tyres are missing. I'd replace them, but would prefer to swap the wheels for a plain pair, although I can't find a source of either wheels or tyres at the moment.

Sorry for the thread hijack Graham!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

....., but the traction tyres are missing. I'd replace them, but would prefer to swap the wheels for a plain pair, although I can't find a source of either wheels or tyres at the moment.

Peters Spares?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, longchap said:

I have both unused examples in red and blue boxes and they look lovely and as soon as the mainline gets built, I'll let you know how they run.

Always happy to help Graham, now where's my hat and coat?

Thanks for that Bill, very helpful!  Just as well Dapol don't make one too 🙂

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Some Bachmann Halls had some sort of error at the front end that Bachmann fixed. Not sure what it was. Bachmann also make a “Modified Hall” from the Hawksworth era so be careful when buying.

6 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Hi Graham,

I have both the Hornby Hall and also a couple of the Bachmann Halls (not modified Halls as they are too late for our era). As others have said above both models have their plus points.

The Hornby one, comes from their so-called design clever phase.... and as such, the outside steam pipes are moulded into the boiler barrel. I have some Crownline* parts to change the pipes and must get round to it one day.

(*Crownline were a cottage industry company that retired ages ago. Its a shame no-one picked up the tools etc.)

Despite being a Railroad model, the loco has tender pick-ups, which the Bachmann ones don't.

Both Hornby and Bachmann models could do with being updated.

I have fitted the Hornby one with sound, which was a squeeze in the 3000 gallon tender. I've not done the Bachmann ones yet.

Lets hope Accurascale do the Hall class 4-6-0 ..... after of course they do a Saint class 4-6-0 😄

Thanks chaps, I'll avoid the modified Hall.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Possibly to cater for the older tender drive version? I think that you need a separate chassis as frames are only cosmetic.

One reason for picking County of Leicester as a modelling subject is that it ended up hitched to the eight wheeled tender from The Great Bear.

Mine runs very well, but the traction tyres are missing. I'd replace them, but would prefer to swap the wheels for a plain pair, although I can't find a source of either wheels or tyres at the moment.

Sorry for the thread hijack Graham!

Not quite the same I know, but I have a Bachmann Dukedog which is a rather nice little model, that I don't run nearly often enough.

• Like 4