Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

It seems everyone has issues with bending up handrails - does anyone know how the RTR manufacturers do this, as clearly they must have some fully mechanised method?

It raises an interesting question about why there isn't already a jig.... maybe though a jig for a GWR Collett 57ft would be completely different to an LMS carriage - roof profiles being the issue obviously.

Loco handrails might be easier to make as a jig.... Nope!

Just think of the different boiler sizes on the GWR never mind other "non standard" companies! (GWR using standard components - yet they were all different!)

Yes it would be interesting to know how RTR do this - who to ask?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

54 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

It raises an interesting question about why there isn't already a jig.... maybe though a jig for a GWR Collett 57ft would be completely different to an LMS carriage - roof profiles being the issue obviously.

Loco handrails might be easier to make as a jig.... Nope!

Just think of the different boiler sizes on the GWR never mind other "non standard" companies! (GWR using standard components - yet they were all different!)

Yes it would be interesting to know how RTR do this - who to ask?

In my minds eye I'm seeing a man locked in a room with a variety of different gauge wires with a sign on the outside saying do not unlock until all of the wire has been used.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

I'm thinking something built onto an electronics prototype board, three perhaps four pins inserted to match the curve (one each end other(s)  along the line of the curve.

Bend wire to fit the curve, bend  ends around end pins to set the shape etc,,,,,

Twist wire 90 degrees at ends to suit mounting holes in the end

For the he RTR manufacturers it's worthwhile setting up a CNC tube / rod bending machine with relevant tooling to make 10,000 handrails, it can be simply adapted to make different types of rail. 

Not much help for those of us working in a corner of the spare room iknow! 

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well Graham I've managed to catch up and all I can say is that it was well worth the effort.

Superb modeling and to see how you have come on in leaps and bounds is a true credit to you.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Well Graham I've managed to catch up and all I can say is that it was well worth the effort.

Superb modeling and to see how you have come on in leaps and bounds is a true credit to you.

Well I think you deserve some sort of award for ploughing through that lot!  Thanks for the comment.  I must confess that I occasionally glance back at some of my earliest posts here and cringe at my lack of knowledge!

• Friendly/supportive 4

28 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Well I think you deserve some sort of award for ploughing through that lot!  Thanks for the comment.  I must confess that I occasionally glance back at some of my earliest posts here and cringe at my lack of knowledge!

Well if your giving out awards I think you should get the first one for best newcomer to building a layout and I'll settle for a signed photo of C.R please.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, MrWolf said:

For the he RTR manufacturers it's worthwhile setting up a CNC tube / rod bending machine with relevant tooling to make 10,000 handrails, it can be simply adapted to make different types of rail. 

Not much help for those of us working in a corner of the spare room iknow! 

So I was right then when I said a man locked in a room with reels of wire. Gone are the days when 'entrepreneurs' could send children down the mines or get them to crawl beneath looms and think nothing of it. The good old days.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I did have my young daughters building some Ikea furniture for me on one of their visits, does that count?  (Probably not as they actually enjoyed the experience!)

• RMweb Gold

Confused?  You will be!

Actually these are in too early a livery for Chuffnell Regis, but they were the only toplight kits I could find that weren’t insanely priced.  And they do look rather nice I think, so Rule 1 applies - again!

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Moving is rarely a fun activity, which means so much organisation, hard work and some goodbyes, but it provides a natural break between the old CR and the new one, as well as putting you back where railway modelling is so much easier and fun in many ways.

I wish you an easy move and stress free transition to a more productive lifestyle Graham.

Best

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

From a CR point of view that's probably a bit disappointing for you, but it's obvious you have come on in leaps & bounds since your 1st post. At least you'll be able to use the rolling stock & a lot of the buildings etc on CR2. Looking forward to it & hope the move goes well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, longchap said:

Moving is rarely a fun activity, which means so much organisation, hard work and some goodbyes, but it provides a natural break between the old CR and the new one, as well as putting you back where railway modelling is so much easier and fun in many ways.

I wish you an easy move and stress free transition to a more productive lifestyle Graham.

Thanks Bill.  It will be nice to be able to pop into a local model shop and actually speak the language!  And I won't miss the Austrian customs regulations...

2 hours ago, prtrainman said:

From a CR point of view that's probably a bit disappointing for you, but it's obvious you have come on in leaps & bounds since your 1st post. At least you'll be able to use the rolling stock & a lot of the buildings etc on CR2. Looking forward to it & hope the move goes well.

Yes indeed I hope to re-use most of the buildings and quite a lot of other stuff.  Plus I can hopefully lay some decent trackwork on the next layout!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I hope things go well for you Graham and that you will be able to salvage much of CR. Don’t forget to keep posting on here, it’s a very friendly and helpful community.

Brian

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Bill.  It will be nice to be able to pop into a local model shop and actually speak the language!  And I won't miss the Austrian customs regulations...

Yes indeed I hope to re-use most of the buildings and quite a lot of other stuff.  Plus I can hopefully lay some decent trackwork on the next layout!

And while you're waiting, don’t forget to keep up to date with what the rest of us are, or are not, doing.

Sez he who hasn’t posted on his own topic since New Years Day!

Paul.

• Like 1

Here's hoping that you can make the most of the changes you're facing and can salvage plenty of the excellent modelling you've created here into CR MK2. 

One good thing if you are moving back to the UK is it's going to be easier and cheaper to source all that you need to build another layout.

• Agree 6