Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

Not much I can add to what's been said above other than to note that the opportunity we three foreigners had to catch up over a meal and a most memorable evening in Vienna will always spring to mind when CR-III rises Phoenix-like some time hence.

Best luck for your future,

Colin and Heddy

• Friendly/supportive 3

I'm so sorry to learn of this Graham. As others have said try and see it as an opportunity rather than a disaster.

Something similar happened to me over ten years ago. In my case though it was due to ill health brought on by work. There have been bad times since, but I am still here so thank small mercies for that. Never feel your on your own with no one to help as your not and we will be here. Stay in touch -even if it's just to rant at the unfairness of the world. Take care.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Big changes Graham. It will be sad for you (and us) to see CR2 'Beeching-ed' after all your hard work. But hopefully you'll pop up in the central operating well of CR3 as soon as possible.

Which part of GB will you be aiming for? Do you have free hand? Or are you tied to a particular location/ area?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I do sympathise Graham, it's always sad to leave somewhere you've made home. And even though you were starting to think seriously about CRII, it's the circumstances really. Back in 2022 once I'd decided I needed a fresh start, I had to scrap Bovey Tor which was well on the way. Also the backscene was pretty much stuck to the wall so had to scrap that too.

As others have said, it will be a new beginning in lots of ways and I'm sure it will work out.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I'm so sorry to learn of this Graham. As others have said try and see it as an opportunity rather than a disaster.

Something similar happened to me over ten years ago. In my case though it was due to ill health brought on by work. There have been bad times since, but I am still here so thank small mercies for that. Never feel your on your own with no one to help as your not and we will be here. Stay in touch -even if it's just to rant at the unfairness of the world. Take care.

Thanks for the kind words WB - very much appreciated!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Fishplate said:

Big changes Graham. It will be sad for you (and us) to see CR2 'Beeching-ed' after all your hard work. But hopefully you'll pop up in the central operating well of CR3 as soon as possible.

Which part of GB will you be aiming for? Do you have free hand? Or are you tied to a particular location/ area?

Funny you say that John, as Beeching did spring to mind when I contemplated tearing down Chuffnell R.  The layout is fixed to the walls in the spare room here, and I also installed a lighting pelmet, so I will need to make a start on dismantling it fairly soon, as I have to return the room to its original state.  But as you can imagine I don't really want to run the last train and then get started on the destruction...

I do have a free hand of where I relocate to, within the constraints of my budget (after a 30 year military career and two divorces along the way I'm not exactly rolling in cash).  I'm looking at somewhere between Hereford - my hometown - and Kidderminster.

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RobAllen said:

As I'm about to start my build journey, I've started reading this thread from the beginning. Incredibly inspiring.

Thank you Rob.  I'm also watching your thread with interested, as I have a bit of a soft spot for the S&DJR.  As you carry out the feat of endurance that reading this thread will be, please take note of - and try to avoid - the myriad mistakes that I made along the way!  If you come across anything you'd like to know more about then please ask.

My most important piece of advice, I think, would be to take the time to get the baseboards and track-laying as close to perfect as you can.  I didn't, and the running performance has given me all sorts of problems.  I'd apply the same principle to the wiring - I'm too embarrassed to show you the state of mine!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm still utterly baffled by how the Austrian authorities work out the amounts they are going to fleece us Auslanders for.  From the post office today I picked up some couplings from TMC, total cost of the order about £25, and a (non-running) Hornby Railroad Hall from Hattons - thanks for the tip @Neal Ball - which was about £73.  I had to pay 9 euros extra for the TMC order, but nothing for the loco...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I'm still utterly baffled by how the Austrian authorities work out the amounts they are going to fleece us Auslanders for.  From the post office today I picked up some couplings from TMC, total cost of the order about £25, and a (non-running) Hornby Railroad Hall from Hattons - thanks for the tip @Neal Ball - which was about £73.  I had to pay 9 euros extra for the TMC order, but nothing for the loco...

That sounds like a good result to me Graham, as some you win and some you loose. I'm off to the UK tomorrow for a model railway exhibition, so will try and stock up on most things I might need, so a little more saving of Brexit tax !

Keep well and hope your mojo is on the rise 😁

Edited by longchap
tea
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Sounds like a steal Graham.... My modelu order of crew and passengers for the SRM, plus some sheep, cost £50 with Spanish duty of €17 - defies logic.

Good news about the Hall Graham - I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

33 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's no different here though. I had to pay £27 over an £11 pair of windscreen wipers from America, but nothing for a £400 bumper.

Don't tell the authorities 🤣

28 minutes ago, longchap said:

That sounds like a good result to me Graham, as some you win and some you loose. I'm off to the UK tomorrow for a model railway exhibition, so will gry and stock up on most things I might need, so a little more saving of Brexit tax !

Keep well and hope your mojo is on the rise 😁

Enjoy the show Bill.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Enjoy the show Bill.

Thanks Neal, it's the one I go to every year, although I'm tempted to pop back again att he end of March to Basingstoke and catch up with Nick Wood and Much Murckle.

Edited by longchap
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Sounds like a steal Graham.... My modelu order of crew and passengers for the SRM, plus some sheep, cost £50 with Spanish duty of €17 - defies logic.

Good news about the Hall Graham - I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Don't tell the authorities 🤣

Enjoy the show Bill.

Thanks Neal.  I might try to get the Hall running over the weekend, and if I'm successful that might well be one of the last trains to run at Chuffnell R in its present form.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Hope all works out for you Graham, I too am on the move once Dads house is sold (proceeds to be split with my brother and grandchildren) and our house on the market.... hopefully we can find somewhere with a decent garage for workshop etc. Then Exhill MK 2 can be reborn... I have one or two ideas up my sleeve.

But we need a buyer first 

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Neal.  I might try to get the Hall running over the weekend, and if I'm successful that might well be one of the last trains to run at Chuffnell R in its present form.

Before you break it all up - why not make up a plank with track, so you can continue running stock....

It could be a (long) plank with a fiddle yard...

Suggesting for a friend 😎

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm hoping that there might be a guru out there on RMweb who can help me out...

The Railroad Hall arrived from Hattons, and as promised it was a non-runner.  Applying a 9V battery to the wheels had no effect.  I had a look at the pickups, and made sure that they were making good contact with the backs of the wheels (it has tender pickups too).  Still no joy.  Popping the body off didn't reveal any obviously loose wiring or anything like that.

There seemed to quite a bit of oil on the bottom of the loco, so I took off the keeper plate and found that it was pretty much awash with oil and grease.  Here it is midway through being cleaned up with cotton buds and paper towels.

IMG_3958.jpeg.ea81702b898c5488592c06314116dd4a.jpeg

I also found that one of the mounting brackets for the slide rods (if that's what they're called) has gone AWOL, but I think I can fabricate something to replace that.

Screenshot2024-01-29at16_55_28.png.dc9f929328358bb93e53c5b6690e68b5.png

Turning the worm gear makes the wheels go around so there's nothing physically snagging.  I've got rid of as much of the oil and grease as I can, but the loco still seems to be dead.  Any ideas where I should apply battery power to on the motor to see if it's actually still working?  Here's the back end of it where all the electrical string attaches...

IMG_3960.jpeg.f2e7009de01c54d2d8c81cec63e4d4c6.jpeg

I'm also considering giving it a squirt of this contact spray.  A good idea or best not to?

IMG_3961.jpeg.fa31f25e2ed57a00ee04500d20440b5d.jpeg

Finally, on the assumption that I can bring this back from the dead, a cosmetic question.  The lining bands don't continue across the top of the firebox; should they?

IMG_3962.jpeg.90e40891dfc78e3cada6b1ec0c15df6b.jpeg

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Any ideas where I should apply battery power to on the motor to see if it's actually still working?

To the top and bottom electrical lugs on the motor.

The lining bands don't continue across the top of the firebox; should they?

No. A painter got badly injured while trying to line the top of the firebox and after that it was discontinued.

If the motor does work, check that the two copper contacts here,

image.png.d0a48ce12bbf36ce1351d69ebd977ac1.png

do make contact with the pickup metal on the keeper plate. I.e. bend them out a bit.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks chaps.  The loco is still in bits, so I applied the battery to the lugs at top and bottom of the motor - no movement.  So I think perhaps the motor itself is dead?

• Like 1

Unless there's a short somewhere? Ideally you would test the motor with it electrically disconnected from the loco, which means, of course, cutting the wires, but if it then works, it's something shorting in the chassis somewhere.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've adjusted the copper contacts as per @Harlequin's suggestion, and tried a continuity tester across the contacts on the motor.  No reading there.  Electrickery is by no means my forte, so am taking a pause as I'm not sure how to proceed.  Perhaps best to mull it over for a while...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Barclay said:

Unless there's a short somewhere? Ideally you would test the motor with it electrically disconnected from the loco, which means, of course, cutting the wires, but if it then works, it's something shorting in the chassis somewhere.

I could disconnect and test the motor I suppose.  If it works I just have to find where the short is then!  Might the copious amounts of oil swilling about in the chassis be causing a short?  I've cleaned up as much of it as I can.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Have you done the continuity test with the loco plugged to the tender, I believe that’s how many models are wired these days?

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, 88C said:

Have you done the continuity test with the loco plugged to the tender, I believe that’s how many models are wired these days?

Brian

That's a good point Brian.  They were separated so I'll try with them hooked back up.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1