RMweb

Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

19 hours ago, Graham T said:

I was in grey cabs rather than green.  Whenever I spoke to any troops they were 100% in favour of being supported by the dark blue rather than the crabfat version!

100%

17 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

I worked with a paratrooper once who was forever doing exercise in northern Norway - his view was simple, pale blue might turn up if the weather was nice and it was a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, green came most days, most weathers, dark blue never left them in his entire service career!

Pretty much my experience on exercises though to be fair to them the Crab Chinook ERT/MERT crews clearly thought they were matelots and I was once hooked from a very hairy situation by a Puma, much to our surprise. That said, they'd dropped us there in the first place.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 23/02/2024 at 19:36, JustinDean said:

If the DPM is installed correctly floor joists won’t rot. Underneath should stay dry! My first build is over 10 years old and no moisture ingress whatsoever. 

Jay

Give it another 10 years. It's the rain landing on the pad that the joists are in direct contact with that's the issue (in my case 1 ton of Type1, sand and slabs). The underneath of my >20yr old workshop is dry, sure enough. The outer floor joists however are starting to succumb to some rot where they are are exposed to the weather, despite lots of creosoting. Having a lot of leaf litter to contend with doesn't help either.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 57xx said:

Give it another 10 years. It's the rain landing on the pad that the joists are in direct contact with that's the issue (in my case 1 ton of Type1, sand and slabs). The underneath of my >20yr old workshop is dry, sure enough. The outer floor joists however are starting to succumb to some rot where they are are exposed to the weather, despite lots of creosoting. Having a lot of leaf litter to contend with doesn't help either.

Ah I see your issue there. 
I have a layer of neoprene rubber between the floor joists and base. Also the outer wall forms a skirt extending below the top on the concrete pad. It’ll be fine 10 years from now. 

Jay

Edited by JustinDean
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Ah I see your issue there. 
I have a layer of neoprene rubber between the floor joists and skirt. Also the outer wall forms a skirt extending below the top on the concrete pad. It’ll be fine 10 years from now. 

Funnily enough, fitting an outer skirt to the afflicted side is on the cards for this summer, I hope I have caught it in time. Hopefully it will have the double effect of keeping the leaf litter off the joist and keeping it dry. I fitted a gutter to that side many years ago which helped reduce the amount of water falling to the floor but with the intensity of rains storms these days it needs more assistance.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 57xx said:

Funnily enough, fitting an outer skirt to the afflicted side is on the cards for this summer, I hope I have caught it in time. Hopefully it will have the double effect of keeping the leaf litter off the joist and keeping it dry. I fitted a gutter to that side many years ago which helped reduce the amount of water falling to the floor but with the intensity of rains storms these days it needs more assistance.

Fingers crossed you sort it! 

Jay

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hope the move is going well Graham, it sure can be a very stressful time.

I just came across a post from 2021, when I was in the same situation, good luck.

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 05.45.48.png

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks George.  Still waiting for all the paperwork to go through, and hoping that the sharks solicitors don’t uncover any snurglies…

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Graham T said:

Thanks George.  Still waiting for all the paperwork to go through, and hoping that the sharks solicitors don’t uncover any snurglies…

Righteous and hopeful Sheep here, sending some positive waves. It's a mother beautiful house. 

OddSheep. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

mother beautiful

I know it takes all sorts to make a world, but...!

Fingers x'd for you Graham. I'm just off to the solicitors to sign on the dotted line and confirm all's good to complete by the end of the month, so I'm with you in spirit!

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Righteous and hopeful Sheep here, sending some positive waves. It's a mother beautiful house. 

OddSheep. 

Thanks for the positive waves Rob 🙂

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Schooner said:

I know it takes all sorts to make a world, but...!

Fingers x'd for you Graham. I'm just off to the solicitors to sign on the dotted line and confirm all's good to complete by the end of the month, so I'm with you in spirit!

I won’t offer my congratulations just yet - wouldn’t want to be a jinx!

• Friendly/supportive 2

18 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

OddSheep. 

Well said, let's hope Graham is soon drinking wine, eating cheese and building some baseboards...

As for the solicitors, you'll make a deal with them, they're probably republicans...

Woof Woof.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Good to see you back though - yes I reckon you could build a new timber structure for what it would cost to get that sorry looking building up to a decent standard! You'd always be warmer and drier too.

• Agree 4

Good to have you back, the garage looks a little basic, though better than the all tin lean to one we used to keep our car in.

I'll agree with @Barclay, a bespoke building if you have the room and the funds is a better option, but the old garage is an ideal place to make all the mess fabricating the new building and the new baseboards.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning Graham,

Good to see you settling in. Funny you should mention options for a new home for the layout. I'm giving it some thought for similar at my end as well. 

Cheapest option is I adapt part of the garage but don't wish to be out of the house. 

Bespoke building...mmm....not the cheapest and will also be out of the house. 

Loft....possibly second cheapest as I don't need a proper room as such and it doesn't take me out of the house so best option in that sense. This may well be where I end up. However, the Room of Doom will do for now as I don't see any expansion of the railway empire this year at least. 

Given my championing of all things Cameo esque, would you consider a smaller, spare room based option for now ? 

Rob. 

• Like 3

Hi Graham, Looks an awful lot like the Pre Cast one I inherited when I bought a Bungalow in Derbyshire. I advertised it on E-Bay, sold it for £100 with Buyer dismantles and removes, and it was sold and gone in a week. I then built the Old Potting Shed 18 x 9 and a fresh start.

Garagedestruction008.JPG.6cce83d7ab16448ef9afbbfb051674ff.JPG

ThePottingShed016.JPG.1bb045a724bfac65f402f3679b43fa61.JPG

Good luck with the project mate.

• Like 17

16 hours ago, Graham T said:

I'm back!  Apologies for the rather long radio silence from Chuffnell R.  Calling the last couple of months frantic would be something of an understatement.  But I'm now installed in the new house in the UK - albeit surrounded by small mountains of boxes.

You might remember that the detached garage was identified as a possible location for the new Chuffnell Regis.  However, on closer inspection it needs an awful lot of work doing to it (and hence several large pots of cash) before it will be anywhere near suitable for a layout...

IMG_2997.jpeg.e860e9d74d85a6e41d8999c0ccd054bf.jpeg

The other option remains putting up a whole new building at the end of the garden.  That has more appeal - partly because I can then have something a bit bigger than the garage, which is 18' x 8'.  But again I will need to scrape a fairly substantial chunk of cash together first.  So the bottom line is, I'm afraid, that baseboard building is quite a long way off yet.

Graham

welcome (back) to Herefordshire.  Funds permitting I think a new building would be a good option, and might be cheaper or not much more expensive than the garage renovation (looking at the photo).  Good to see you posting again         

Clive

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

33 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Given my championing of all things Cameo esque, would you consider a smaller, spare room based option for now ?

Hi Graham, and welcome back to these pages and the UK.

I have a reasonable sized spare room here but... working in 7mm rather limits what can be achieved in terms of track radii. So after much procrastination and the success of Bodmin Moor, I've decided to continue building diorama / cameo layouts. And have spent the last month working on a brand new concept. Which funnily enough is set in Europe where you've just come from.

• Like 4

Good to see you made it over the briney back to the septic isle. All I can say is don't rush things as tempting as that might be and oh make certain the house is watertight before you rush out and start on the 'hobby room'.

By the way according to your location your still in foreign fields.

• Like 2

First of all, welcome back to the UK and to these hallowed pages - we've missed you!

18 hours ago, Graham T said:

the detached garage was identified as a possible location for the new Chuffnell Regis.  However, on closer inspection it needs an awful lot of work doing to it

The other option remains putting up a whole new building at the end of the garden.  That has more appeal - partly because I can then have something a bit bigger than the garage,

I'm afraid, that baseboard building is quite a long way off yet.

I have a proposed solution to the above conundrum.

"Garden railway"

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

"Garden railway"

6c953881d94b416f8f11661b3d42640c.jpg.c84a4e9cafb51476e9bf91b17cd8951c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2