Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

I've also bitten the bullet with regard to the cattle dock siding.  I don't think the track had been down for a week before it was ripped up and re-laid!  Here's the new look...

image.png.3b5d9f2be3d63e3a59f589d55aeae725.png 

Having some actual cattle trucks would, of course, be an added bonus...

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

@chuffinghell - Ah yes, I remember seeing that when you did it - and being staggered by the level of attention to detail!  I think my lowly platelayers hut might be making do with some strips of paper.

Edited by Graham T
Confusion!

• RMweb Gold
Just now, MrWolf said:

Does anyone actually produce a GWR cattle truck anymore? I'm thinking RTR or a plastic / whitemetal kit.. I'm discounting etched brass, unless I win the lottery and live to be 120.

They seem to be incredibly hard to get hold of for some reason.  I've got some second-hand ones on the way from Hattons; Dapol iirc

I often wonder where people get the idea from that GWR modellers are better catered for than everyone else. That may have been so thirty odd years ago, but unless you are modelling the main lines and post c1940, there's not much stock or locos to choose from.

Besides, from what I have seen of new locos, they're a lot of money for something that probably won't work, plus another £100 if you want ten bob's worth of mobile phone parts shoving in the tender.

• RMweb Gold

All but one of my locos have been sourced from Evilbay, and are not DCC fitted (which might prove to be a mistake...)  The one exception is a Dapol Mogul, with DCC, which I received in the post yesterday.  I have to say, it's very easy on the eye.  And - shock horror - I've actually had it running on the layout!  Sadly only on a very short length of track though, as that was the only one I connected up to the controller.

So, I foresee the joys of figuring out a power bus and then connecting all the droppers somewhere in my not too distant future...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Graham T said:

@chuffinghell - Ah yes, I remember seeing that when you did it - and being staggered by the level of attention to detail!  I think my lowly platelayers hut might be making do with some strips of paper.

I've used Rizzla paper attached with some slaters solvent before. The solvent makes it very easy to push into the corner and get a good finish.

Should probably add, I'm a double Reed player not a smoker!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's the cattle dock siding completed.  There's no buffer stop as I'll be putting in an end loading platform, as per the previous photo of Lambourn.  I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to lift and re-lay the track.  But you wouldn't believe the amount of complaining I've had from the locals about the standard of the transport accommodation - theres been heifer so much...

image.png.7923d39d21f9f29c0b07d30d310391d1.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Paper flashing and plasticard telephone insulator bracket.

IMG_20210105_011433.jpg.c6ce60af95023edee351ae678ee27ba5.jpg

Thanks, that's reminded me that I need to add a phone insulator to the engine shed.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Just had a couple of days away with the boss, and so have returned home with a bit of a modelling itch to scratch.  That has been (temporarily) fixed by adding the flashing to the engine shed.  You'll be pleased to hear that the platelayers hut got the treatment as well.  The engine shed still needs doors, obviously, but I'll be leaving those off until it actually gets placed properly on the layout.  I also need to add guttering - but didn't buy enough first time around - and a telephone bell on the front wall, as well as a 'phone insulator bracket.  I might have a go at making those out of some plasticard scraps this evening.

image.png.5758c326dc36645a4f491c7080937151.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Graham T said:

and a telephone bell on the front wall,

Bell, External, Loud Sounding.

Probably has a P.O. No.

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Tryping all fnigers and thmubs.

• RMweb Gold

I skived off from work for a few minutes to put a first lick of paint on the platelayers hut.  Which has cruelly exposed the Bodgeit and Scarper standard of brickwork on the chimney.  I think some heavy weathering will be required to mask the deficiencies...

image.png.527f139492b43d3368bd1d22bbce790c.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Graham T said:

I skived off from work for a few minutes…..

tut, tut! I’d never skive off work for a few minutes to do any modelling…..

….I’d skive off the whole day!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3