Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Graham T said:

And I think I'll also need to add horizontal bars across the upper openings, won't I?  That should be relatively easy (ha!) with some plastic rod.

Put the cattle in first.... ;)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Graham T said:

More of a problem is the drainage slats near the bottom of the wagon sides are filled in - maybe a bit of paintwork will help give the illusion of them being open.  Trying to physically open them up doesn't much appeal... 

A quck firtle with the end of a scalpel should be enough to open them. The Dapol models are built from the old Airfix moulds, which must be approaching 50 years old now, and it's basically just flashing blocking the gaps.

I built their kit a few years ago, and I remember having to clean out the gaps.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah, right - that doesn't sound so bad.  I'll give it a go then.  It would definitely improve the appearance a lot.  And mental note to self - use the word "firtle" more often!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Ah, right - that doesn't sound so bad.  I'll give it a go then.  It would definitely improve the appearance a lot.  And mental note to self - use the word "firtle" more often!

Or fettle even. :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think that, as well as a Groan button, we also need an Idiot button.  I'll volunteer to use it first.

Having made the huge mistake of painting rust onto the switch rails of my points, and then spending about half an eternity cleaning them up, I spent another hour or thereabouts this evening trying to get a particularly troublesome point working ...

... and then I realised that I hadn't actually connected its droppers to the power bus ...

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

On 02/07/2021 at 23:43, Graham T said:

I think that, as well as a Groan button, we also need an Idiot button.  I'll volunteer to use it first.

Having made the huge mistake of painting rust onto the switch rails of my points, and then spending about half an eternity cleaning them up, I spent another hour or thereabouts this evening trying to get a particularly troublesome point working ...

... and then I realised that I hadn't actually connected its droppers to the power bus ...

I use this one a lot:

fail-red-button-press-light-rejection-failure-3-d-animation_sfvpopolg_thumbnail-1080_09.png.619ac17657d2e2b673dbb6a498237c96.png

And on special occasions:

epic-fail-red-round-flat-isolated-push-button-vector-9032440.jpg.d8625e2888269d5a13eaf84c45d46b74.jpg

Hopefully they will be as helpful for you as they were for me. ;)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Nothing to do with Chuffnell Regis, but thought this was an interesting pic.  Tram line maintenance in Vienna.

image.png.54821074d3815cb5660e86add690677a.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah, the fabled two-wire simplicity of DCC!  Actually, it was all pretty simple to wire together.  Everything would have been fine if I hadn't messed up the points with paint...

It won't stay in this state; I wanted to test everything before tidying up the wiring and clipping it all to the underside of the baseboard.  I need to figure out a home for the Powercab panel as well.  Remarkably, everything runs!  But some of the points still need a little more cleaning, and being able to run the Mogul all over the layout has shown up how atrocious some of my track-laying was.

image.png.278be77bb07029070d3b5bf53ea496d8.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Theres one piece of track in particular that's giving me a headache; the Mogul really doesn't like it.

If I run the loco from the central track towards the buffer stop it's standing at in the picture (i.e. along the red arrow), the front left wheel of the tender derails at the point marked by the yellow arrow.  I can't see anything there that might be causing it.  Weirdly, reversing the loco back from where it's shown through the crossover onto the central track (along the green arrow) works fine.  Also, the loco can push a couple of (light) open wagons along the red arrow, and they go through without a problem - but then the tender still derails at the same spot.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

1020707508_Screenshot2021-07-03at15_05_18.png.0571d00fa65f9a79ee325b527e3288ff.png

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

If you believe the two wires sales spiel, then you possibly also fell for "Simply tap the app". :jester:

You possibly also fell for just simply 'Wash and go'.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

The most obvious to me is that you have a raised hump in the track at that point and the tender rocks longitudinally enough to lift the flange over the rail. It might also be worth checking that the back-to-backs of all the tender wheelsets are near enough the same.

Al.