Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

I've made a start on weathering the platelayers hut.  It's been years since I did anything like this, and I'm pretty much making it up as I go along (as ever).  Not sure about how it looks so far...  Any tips and/or feedback gratefully received!

image.png.18bc9e8ebec14685b9a1424dd4949bfa.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this is looking better, or am I making a pig's ear of it?  Still got a bit to do with the roof and chimney flashing, and also will have to reinstate some of the paint on the brickwork where I've tried to reduce the prominence of the vertical joints.

image.png.229056cb000aa4ba2a0a2989a6a7abde.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Ding, and indeed, d0ng.  Bell now added to the front of the engine shed.  I'm not going to put on the phone insulator bracket until I've added the guttering and downpipes.  I'll only break it off otherwise!

image.png.4bfa076de493d36ef4be8d08921b19f4.png

Edited by Graham T
Sneaking around the word police...
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Almost there with the platelayers hut, I think.  Perhaps darken the roof a little (having just lightened it!), and maybe add a touch of green here and there to suggest moss?  I'm reasonably happy with how the sides of the chimney look now; the seams are still visible but nowhere near as prominent as before.  With the amount of time it's taken me to make this little hut, I dread to think how long the station building might take...

image.png.b271aabaa0e4d67afbb4659d28086df7.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Graham T said:

With the amount of time it's taken me to make this little hut, I dread to think how long the station building might take...

Ah but think of the experience you've gained.

Anyway, it's not a race, the worst thing you can do is start feeling pressured to do something, it's one sure way to kill off your mojo.

Just take it at your own pace, you've already proved you have the skill.

Nice job mate.

Al.

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

As hinted at yesterday, I have a horrible feeling that the mojo is about to get dive-bombed by wiring woes...

I've used electrofrog points throughout, and (I suspect rather foolishly) believed Peco's blurb on the packaging that they work fine straight out of the box with DCC.  I put insulated joiners on each of the rails in the inner vee.  Testing with the Mogul (the only DCC loco I have) produced some disappointing results.  On plain track everything runs fine, but the loco will only travel a certain distance over a point before it comes to a stop.  The pics below show how far it manages to get.

image.png.2c861780c77ef6858b408f65bd18335b.png

image.png.d97c5d0b30fcbd89107c2e5646254176.png

So, if anyone can offer any tips to rescue me - please do!  I've got a nasty inkling that I might have to lift the points and modify them as per this photo though.  If so, would I also need to join the stock and switch rails on each side?

Edited by Graham T

• RMweb Gold

I could be wrong (I usually am) but could the wheel be causing a short here?

IMG20210701135654.jpg.839c2efd99703370fdb7523c21bf470d.jpg.3772acc4a6f6eb128dd545ab389b4a40.jpg

TurnoutSmallFrogShort.png.ee5873588774ebda0d675a82d8e866a5.png

I think this is why it is recommended to cut the bridge wires and feed the frog via a switch.....but I'm probably wrong

Edited by chuffinghell

If you are using the points just as they come out of the packaging, the whole frog is connected to both switch-blades.

Thus, the powering of the frog and switch-blades only relies on the electrical contact between the switch-blades and the outer rails.

This is ok for dcc, but you can't have any paint in the area where the switch-blades touch the outer rails because it effectively isolates the frog and the switch-blades. That's why your loco is stopping there, all wheels with pickups are on the electrically dead part of the point.

I would try getting the paint off in these areas first, but the "proper" way of wiring the point is shown in the picture above in your post. But if you use it, you need an additional switch to power the frog with either + or -, depending on the direction to which the point is set.

Regards,

Björn

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I could be wrong (I usually am) but could the wheel be causing a short here?

IMG20210701135654.jpg.839c2efd99703370fdb7523c21bf470d.jpg.3772acc4a6f6eb128dd545ab389b4a40.jpg

I think this is why it is recommended to cut the bridge wires and feed the frog via a switch.....but I'm probably wrong

This can be a problem with newer peco unifrog points, when the back-to-back of the wheels is set too high. With the peco code 75 electrofrog points, the frog is much longer and ends with the two isolating rail joiners on the left of the picture, so there can't be a short at the marked spot.

Edit: This can as well be a problem with insulfrog points as shown in the second picture of the qouted post. But i have never used any insulfrog points, i always went for electrofrog ones.

Edited by outatime