Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

A tap on a stand pipe could hide that join in the plinth.

Ah, now that's a neat idea.  I've got just the thing from Modelu as well.  Maybe I'll put the sleeper and wriggly tin lean-to at the other end.  The idea is that it will be the station coal store.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And a little bit more tinkering done.  I've added the office roof, and some decorative brickwork (is it called corbelling?) to the chimney; also a door handle from a sliver of cocktail stick.  As you can see I ran out of brick plinth, so have added some with some scribed plastic card.  Once the shed is in place on the layout that section will actually be out of sight anyway.

I've also just placed a rather gucci Modelu chimney pot in position.  Too over the top, or not?

image.png.6a3db94c7d1505d72270718fbd7e90b5.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I've now got the steps on, and also the bargeboards.  There are some handrails provided in the kit for the steps, but they are obviously very flat and don't look particularly good, so I plan to replace them with some plastic rod.  But I won't do that until the shed is almost finished - or I'll probably just break them off!  So the next step will be to add the wriggly tin roof, and then think about the lean-to on the other end of the shed.  I also need to put some more filler in those gaps next to the canopy supports.  Then I can paint it, which I'm looking forward to.

image.png.046b8d405cd3478b5bfccc1694cd26f8.png

Edited by Graham T
Spooling
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

The shed roof is a step closer now to being finished.  The corrugated sheets weren't long enough to cover the whole side of the roof and the awning in one piece, so I had to cut an extra to fill the gap.  So now I need to fill in that joint between the two sections.  I'm hoping some plastic cement will bond them together well enough to not need anything else, as I can't see how I can use filler on there, without ruining the corrugations.  Although I suppose Mr Surfacer might work...

I'd appreciate any opinions on the chimney pot!  I'm quite taken with it, and think it makes a nice contrast with the roof, and also the rickety lean-to I've got in mind for the other end of the shed.  But I do realise it might give the feel of a shed that's getting a bit above its station!!!

Still to do:  gutters and downpipes, doors, lean-to, handrails for steps.  Have I missed anything?

I've a few different ideas for the lean-to, which I'll try to post some sketches of tomorrow.

image.png.b2866c61a0333541ece41cc841529bb9.png

image.png.02ae50e24428c3a1517e01e6a7a2240e.png

image.png.3fc804b0e13e773fcf387ed521ce728e.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Graham T said:

The corrugated sheets weren't long enough to cover the whole side of the roof and the awning in one piece, so I had to cut an extra to fill the gap.  So now I need to fill in that joint between the two sections. 

Hi Graham, I would be tempted to cut the extension off flush, and butt it up to the other roof,  it's very difficult to get a convincing overlap with the thickness of the corrugated sheet.

Al.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Graham T said:

The corrugated sheets weren't long enough to cover the whole side of the roof and the awning in one piece, so I had to cut an extra to fill the gap.  So now I need to fill in that joint between the two sections.

I'll be honest, I can't see the join...

One option is to butt the joint, as Al suggested, but then cover the whole roof in a piece (two pieces ) of kitchen foil.  If you rub this in to the corrugations, it will follow the ridges and pimples of the sheet below, and if you cut it over long then you get a very thin bottom edge. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I think the chimney pot is perfect.  Especially if you add a broken, plain one on the ground beside the shed. 

Thanks Stu, that's another very neat idea.  Keep them coming please!  I was just pondering yesterday about ground cover in the goods yard, and all the many little details that make a scene look real.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ok, I've sliced through the roof along the join line, and have used some plastic cement to try and mate the sections together better.  I couldn't reach inside to remove the excess sheet, as I've already fixed the interior platform in place.  B*gger!  I'm now waiting for the glue to set (not my strong point) before I can see if it's worked or not.  I've also fixed the gucci chimney pot in place., sitting on top of some plastic putty to represent the cement base.

In the meantime, I've bodged up some sketches of ideas for the lean-to.  Please excuse the crude outlines - I can sketch quite nicely with a pencil or a paint brush, but not with a computer!

644648094_Screenshot2021-09-09at10_59_48.png.7a68101dbef87ccff3333c630e98ad2e.png

The first one is as per the shed at Fairford (there's a photo earlier in this thread).  It was made of what looks like dressed stone (thanks @Alister_G), and I'm guessing might have had a felt roof.  At first I was leaning (aha) towards that option, but then I wondered why they would have used stone, when the rest of the shed, and all the other buildings at Chuffnell R, are brick built.  The shed at Fairford was stone, of course, so it made sense there.

The second option would be mainly open, with sleeper built ends and a pitched felt roof.  Not sure whether the sleeper ends would be half of full height.

I quite like the last option.  It would be sleepers and felt roof again, but with a small enclosed store at one end.  The rest of it would be an open store for station coal.

Would love to hear what anyone thinks of the various options.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Graham T said:

Al, what do you think about the fancy chimney pot?

Sorry mate, I missed this. I also think the chimney pot looks spot on.

I prefer the third option for the lean-to - it gives them somewhere to secure the lamps and lamp oil.

Al.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Sorry mate, I missed this. I also think the chimney pot looks spot on.

I prefer the third option for the lean-to - it gives them somewhere to secure the lamps and lamp oil.

Al.

Thanks.  I like option three as well, more interesting.  Might make a start on it later today, but I should really get on with some work now...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Repairs on the gap in the roof continue...  It looks better I think, although not completely gone.  I may live with it, I'm not sure yet.  Have also made a start on the guttering; tiny pieces of plastic card added to the cut ends.

image.png.a86037b33a6ecd6c0607eebd7f023f73.png

Edited by Graham T
Any may
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

A chap can go off ballasting, you know.  At least the end is now in sight; one point and a short length of track still to do.  Then I can get on with the clean-up, and weathering it all - which I'm actually quite looking forward to.

And getting near the top of the list of things to do is installing the point motors - which I'm most definitely not looking forward to.

image.png.a8c4e79989bc10454ba02abd5f14c112.png

image.png.352497298c7e9ffd77f3b8042a79141c.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'd definitely had enough of ballasting for today, so decided to make some more progress on the goods shed guttering.  Fairford had a gutter along the front of the awning, which I wanted to copy, but I had built the awning roof out to end flush with the supports, so there was no space to add the soffit.  Hmm.  I could have binned the idea, and just had a short section of guttering at each end of the main wall, but I fancied the challenge, so...

image.png.6af3d580460e790c3944e7d70a64a76f.png

Out with the razor saw, and end plank of each awning support carefully removed.  Happily I managed to not hack the corrugated iron roof to pieces at the same time.

image.png.5d8cc0488ae8a9a33d38da078430a4ea.png

Then a piece of scrap wood from the kit was cut to size, drilled to accept the locating pins of the guttering, and glued in place.  Once it's had time to set I'll glue the corrugated iron down onto the soffit, and then add the guttering.

image.png.b321aef0e3305f700d2fd08e6a8b029c.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, chuffinghell said:

me too and that’s before I do any :lol:

The goods shed looks superb 

It really is a pain in the elbow (sometimes I don't know my @rse from my elbow).  I try to put down the minimum amount of ballast, but still almost always manage to get too much on the track, and then spend ages brushing the bloody stuff around.

Thanks ref the shed.  I still have a long way to go, so plenty of scope to mess it all up yet!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Graham T said:

it really is a pain in the elbow (sometimes I don't know my @rse from my elbow). 

that made me laugh out loud :lol:

19 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I try to put down the minimum amount of ballast, but still almost always manage to get too much on the track, and then spend ages brushing the bloody stuff around.

I try and do a run at a time because for some reason if I do it it sections I end up with multi-coloured patches (I don’t know why) maybe it’s because I’m using buff colour ballast? maybe getting glue on a section that’s already been done discolours it? I really don’t have a clue!

21 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I still have a long way to go, so plenty of scope to mess it all up yet!

Try not to think like that (even though I do the same :blush:) just take a leaf out of my book and take four times longer than a normal person would take

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

that made me laugh out loud :lol:

Stolen from Blackadder I'm afraid

I try and do a run at a time because for some reason if I do it it sections I end up with multi-coloured patches (I don’t know why) maybe it’s because I’m using buff colour ballast? maybe getting glue on a section that’s already been done discolours it? I really don’t have a clue

That's odd.  I use Woodland Scenics light grey fine ballast, stuck down with diluted cheap PVA.  Haven't had any problems with different colours, touch wood.

Try not to think like that (even though I do the same :blush:) just take a leaf out of my book and take four times longer than a normal person would take

I'm certainly taking my time!

• RMweb Gold

I’m wondering if it’s because I use Peco weathered buff colour then? Or it might be because I’m lazy and use ready mixed ballast adhesive? Or I’m just fussy :lol:

The daft thing is that in the real world ballast isn’t a uniform colour but it’s so difficult to replicate that on a small scale, those that manage it are very good indeed