The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RIP Murray Walker, OBE

mozzer models

• RMweb Premium
On 13/03/2021 at 18:18, mozzer models said:

RIP Murray Walker

Yes just heard the news very sad. Met him a few years ago at Salisbury Hospital - I was a volunteer at the hospital and he was a patient. I thanked him for all the joy, fun and entertainment he provided over the years. He was a real delight to chat to and simply said - you guys helping out at the hospital do a much more important job.

A truly lovely man.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I was very keen on F1 in my teens and Murray Walker's voice was therefore as much a part of that part of my life as anything else (and as much a part of the sound of F1 as the engines and The Chain). Very sad to hear this news.

edit: and that video a few posts up has brought a tear to my eye.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Like many others who grew up with Murray, he was the voice of F1 in the same way Peter Alliss was the voice of golf. Both had a wonderful way of adding something to the pictures in their own inimitable style.

RIP Murray

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

I remember standing on the start line of the Monaco circuit with a few Australian friends an in unison all five off us said "Its Go! Go! Go! Here in Monaco". all of us tried to do very poor imitations of Murray. But is showed how far his voice  had travelled. 

Marc 

• Like 1

Damn, this is really sad news. I can still hear his excited, passionate about racing voice in my head, that will sadly never be repeated. His commentary made my love of F1 and all motor sport so much more enjoyable.

Thank you Murray, we will miss you. RIP. 

• Agree 3

51 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Very sad news.

I can’t believe he was 97 years old.

Where have all the recent years gone?

It was the realization that it was 20 years ago that he retired from doing the F1 commentaries, that shocked me as to how rapidly time is passing by.

• Agree 7

And let's not forget that apart from his 50 year involvement in Formula One, he was also a WW2 tank commander.

Apparently at one German Grand Prix he looked out across the Nurburgring to the 
Eifel Mountains and told Andrew Benson "I remember driving a tank through there!"

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1