Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Abandoned rails in the road.....(or elsewhere...)

33C

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Looks like it wouldn't be too big a job to make it runnable again if Alderney joins the common market and the Jerries come back.

Personally the one on Alderney that I’d be interested to see is reopening of more of the existing standard gauge line towards the breakwater (and yes, I realise the practical difficulties with this that are probably why it hasn’t been done already).

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Personally the one on Alderney that I’d be interested to see is reopening of more of the existing standard gauge line towards the breakwater (and yes, I realise the practical difficulties with this that are probably why it hasn’t been done already).

The current Alderney set-up hasn't run so far this year due to loco problems. Some of the foliage growth on the line - particularly at the Town end - looked as though it hadn't actually run for longer for that!

rDSCF8535.jpg.f0e379aefeaa7d7e3605ce19ab3bb384.jpg

rDSCF8551.jpg.d5fa685fedf4e20e2fb5ba16a588c278.jpg

Rails are still in place on the breakwater but it's mostly removed between there and the current running line........

DSCF8498.JPG.1fbe0305f371225a6d97f9ae1b353ae8.JPG

More interesting - which I hadn't noticed until I looked at my photo - is the pair of obvious marks in the cobbled road surface to the left, which look like they could be where an Organisation Todt 60cm line ran during WW2 - They look about the right distance apart!

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Pushing the thread title to its limits - 60cm gauge tracks on which mobile searchights were mounted at one of the WW2 German gun battery complexes on Alderney......

DSCF8524.JPG.876d8785d9d26b6265ae3bb13c6070e5.JPG

It counts! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Tynemouth’s North Pier has tracks still visible on the lower level. I have read on the information boards at the pier that these were used to bring in stone blocks to repair storm damage, but the linked article shows the crane straddling them and the description isn’t clear what they were used for. https://historicengland.org.uk/services-skills/education/educational-images/travelling-crane-north-pier-tynemouth-3053

IMG_0186.jpeg

On 10/06/2023 at 17:50, Gatesheadgeek said:

Tynemouth’s North Pier has tracks still visible on the lower level. I have read on the information boards at the pier that these were used to bring in stone blocks to repair storm damage, but the linked article shows the crane straddling them and the description isn’t clear what they were used for. https://historicengland.org.uk/services-skills/education/educational-images/travelling-crane-north-pier-tynemouth-3053

IMG_0186.jpeg

Head Gardener (Mrs Bodger) lived in North Shields for a few years around 2010 and we can remember seeing both rails at the low level and the rail along the top of the outer wall of the pier as seen in the crane photo. The actual railway siding used to continue across the road and into the glen where the car park is now (left of the white building in the distance), this was the pier yard - presumably where the materials and equipment to firstly build, then later maintain the pier were stored. The yard was on an extended siding descending from the original Tynemouth station goods yard. See the OS 6" map 1888-1913 on NLS site, https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/swipe/#zoom=16.9&lat=55.0151&lon=-1.4234&layers=6&right=BingHyb

This Flikr site shows the double crane rail along the outer wall and the lower pier edge, with the siding between, https://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/51316765908

Iirc there was a similar set up on the south pier, but I only walked that once, and have no clear memory, though I saw other sidings near the landward end, maybe originally associated with the Marsden line.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

If you use Google Earth, rather than Google Maps the image isn't cluttered with unwanted peripherals and you don't need screengrabs:

image.png.5ce42c4b5b2b44ddd5926378da635375.png

image.png.efd49c3c572a4e66a1a44de088c26621.png

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

1 hour ago, Artless Bodger said:

Head Gardener (Mrs Bodger) lived in North Shields for a few years around 2010 and we can remember seeing both rails at the low level and the rail along the top of the outer wall of the pier as seen in the crane photo. The actual railway siding used to continue across the road and into the glen where the car park is now (left of the white building in the distance), this was the pier yard - presumably where the materials and equipment to firstly build, then later maintain the pier were stored. The yard was on an extended siding descending from the original Tynemouth station goods yard. See the OS 6" map 1888-1913 on NLS site, https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/swipe/#zoom=16.9&lat=55.0151&lon=-1.4234&layers=6&right=BingHyb

This Flikr site shows the double crane rail along the outer wall and the lower pier edge, with the siding between, https://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/51316765908

Iirc there was a similar set up on the south pier, but I only walked that once, and have no clear memory, though I saw other sidings near the landward end, maybe originally associated with the Marsden line.

Thanks for the added info. It was only when I read about the original Tynemouth station a few years ago that I worked out how the pier track linked to the network. 

The upper rail is deteriorating quickly but still visible in places. It gets quite a beating there! 

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

If you use Google Earth, rather than Google Maps the image isn't cluttered with unwanted peripherals and you don't need screengrabs:

image.png.5ce42c4b5b2b44ddd5926378da635375.png

image.png.efd49c3c572a4e66a1a44de088c26621.png

Thank you for that info. I have not yet tried Google Earth - something to look at.

31 minutes ago, Gatesheadgeek said:

The upper rail is deteriorating quickly but still visible in places. It gets quite a beating there! 

Agreed. The flat Head Gardener lived in had a bay window with views both up river and down to the mouth, watching the ships pass was interesting. One winter when I visited we saw a small container ship leave, once clear of the piers it was pitching alarmingly, glad I wasn't a mariner. Waves breaking over north pier were obscuring it from view.

On 10/06/2023 at 17:50, Gatesheadgeek said:

IMG_0186.jpeg

Both the railways that ran on the North pier and the South Pier at South Shields were used to take stone blocks which were lifted into postion by the block setting crane that ran on its own rails along each pier. When I was an MN student in S. Shields in 1969-1970 the railway on the south pier was still completely  intact with wagons sitting on the sidings in the pier yard at the shoreward end.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-l1tXTulftCk/XC21KCN04YI/AAAAAAABN-I/fyx_J0U0fYoQB_OYqD_wVCCgf8QU7oxcACKgBGAs/s1600/South%2BShelds%2Bpier%2Brailway%2Bworks%2Btrain_B.jpg

The Titan crane was still in use (until 1987) but I thought the railway was disused, though I may have been wrong about that. At that time the pier railway consited of a single track running almost the whole length of the pier and fanning out into three sidings in the Tyne Improvement Commission yard at the foot of the pier. Earlier though it had extended to stone quarries at Trow Point about a mile down the coast with a line running  up the coast to a quay on the Tyne presumably to supply stone for the north pier. The South Pier system was SG but AFAIK was completely unconnected to any other railway.  

Edited by Pacific231G
clarification that I'm decribing the South Pier railway onl, not the one along the North Pier
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

It connected to the main line near Tynemouth Junction:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16.3&lat=55.01511&lon=-1.42492&layers=168&b=1

The North Pier railway at Tynemouth did (though I didn't know that till looking again at the 25inch maps just now) but I was describing the South Pier railway which didn't. It had though been far more extensive than what was left in 1970 with far more extensive sidings at the foot of the pier, a branch to the south groin at the actual mouth of the Tyne and a couple of what appeared to be sidings running onto the beach just before Trow Point and also just before the line turned onto thesouth pier. I don't know if these were for sand or small stones used for ships' ballast etc. At the very end of the south pier the line had doubled to form a run roud but I think that had gone by the time I saw it with the line ending a bit further down the pier. There didn't appear to be any kind of run-round at the depot  end so latterly the line must have been run with the train being propelled out by the diesel shunter and hausled back to the depot.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, melmerby said:

If you want remote how about the Spurn & Kilnsea railway, little of which remains but a bit here towards Spurn Point:

image.png.9600dc80f773f3f81ec47c656eb3b84d.png

Another bit near the northern end:

image.png.6217c3bfa6d9ebdddacc0bd3ae9dd7b1.png

Interesting. I didn't think anything was left of the Spurn point railway with the land shifting away from it. I did find this 2017 photo by David A Hull (CC by SA4.0)

Spurn_Head_Railway_tracks.jpg.5985088607ed99c02942acc1e34dca64.jpg

The railway, built for the military, was famous for the locals (including lighthouse keeprers) using home made sailing wagons to get along the point.

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

The North Pier railway at Tynemouth did (though I didn't know that till looking again at the 25inch maps just now) but I was describing the South Pier railway which didn't. It had though been far more extensive than what was left in 1970 with far more extensive sidings at the foot of the pier, a branch to the south groin at the actual mouth of the Tyne and a couple of what appeared to be sidings running onto the beach just before Trow Point and also just before the line turned onto thesouth pier. I don't know if these were for sand or small stones used for ships' ballast etc. At the very end of the south pier the line had doubled to form a run roud but I think that had gone by the time I saw it with the line ending a bit further down the pier. There didn't appear to be any kind of run-round at the depot  end so latterly the line must have been run with the train being propelled out by the diesel shunter and hausled back to the depot.  

Tynemouth station, train set curves, bridges for scenic breaks and a goods and fish branch, has it ever been modelled?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

The railway, built for the military, was famous for the locals (including lighthouse keeprers) using home made sailing wagons to get along the point.

Interesting place. an extreme example of longshore drift

It's position in the mouth of the Humber has constantly moved over the centuries.

Ten years ago a large stretch was washed away during a storm and it became a tidal island, more recently new deposits, have re-filled the breach and it is continuous again.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

13 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

One example I learned of through the Berkshire Industrial Archaeology Group is in Fobney Street in Reading, originally a spur off the Coley Goods branch and now all redeveloped as housing.

Screengrabs from Google Maps and Streetview

Rails in Fobney Street - streetview.jpg

Rails in Fobney Street.jpg

That’s an interesting one. Has it been deliberately left with rails in place as a feature?

9 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Interesting. I didn't think anything was left of the Spurn point railway with the land shifting away from it. I did find this 2017 photo by David A Hull (CC by SA4.0)

Spurn_Head_Railway_tracks.jpg.5985088607ed99c02942acc1e34dca64.jpg

It’s a place that I haven’t visited yet but I was under the impression that there are bits of track left but they aren’t continuous from one end to the other, because of parts being washed away. Spurn Head though was an isolated standard gauge line, not connected to the main network (on this subject, isn’t there a thread somewhere on RMWeb about unconnected standard gauge lines?).

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

That’s an interesting one. Has it been deliberately left with rails in place as a feature?

I think so, the setts in the road suggest it is deliberate. The large building adjacent was a maltings for the brewery, it has been converted into flats. I think several of the old industrial buildings in the area have been converted likewise. There's a series of information boards along that stretch of the Kennet, it's part of a tourist trail.

• Like 2

Back on page 35, there was some talk of the Middleton Railway, and the connection between their running line, and the original link with the mainline (the Balm Road branch to Hunslet yard).  Anyway, last weekend I was there for the gala, and with Elder Child needing some pics of disused railways for a project inspired by Joel Sternfeld's excellent "Walk the High Line" project, we strolled on with the cameras...

BenBucki_Middleton_BalmRoad_June2023_01.JPG.aafc0119b94c812cd73d45763a6993d7.JPG

Level crossing, very much disused.  I'm sure I remember being on a train which reached this crossing this a few years back.  One of the gates is missing now too.

BenBucki_Middleton_BalmRoad_June2023_02.JPG.80521d2e61f148654c1d6f127861aa72.JPG

Looking towards Hunslet.  I gather the last time the mainline connection was used was in the 1990's?

BenBucki_Middleton_BalmRoad_June2023_03.JPG.5806e201d1c02693d1e2dff63b1b4f7a.JPG

Flangeways very blocked.

BenBucki_Middleton_BalmRoad_June2023_04.JPG.9c828442cb2d4bbf194d6849b545285c.JPG

Looking back towards Moor Road.  There's something fascinating about a disused railway, though it is a little sad.

BenBucki_Middleton_BalmRoad_June2023_05.JPG.150af8c1a23960d24b7cb1f92be244b7.JPG

:) But then, at least some of it is still in use, if only on galas.  Apparently a lot of work had gone on here the weeks before, ballasting, new sleepers, etc.  A vol was even there trimming the greenery moments before this, the first train of the day, arrived.

BenBucki_Middleton_BalmRoad_June2023_06.JPG.c15c22d01b9ba3b5e772e77ea76e9775.JPG

Look at the dust being thrown up from the flangeways of the crossing.

BenBucki_Middleton_BalmRoad_June2023_07.JPG.de6be2af5b122778bf1721e620249d7f.JPG

Moor Road crossing, I gather the main reason the branch is so little-used, as it has to be flag-controlled.

BenBucki_Middleton_BalmRoad_June2023_08.jpg.a4e3a33a5c239514a157317a3ffaccb8.jpg

Visiting Kerr, Stuart on the overgrown link to the Moor Road crossing.

• Like 18

I saw this one today.

595.jpg.c18aa32e96846bb2e9fe59425135ab9a.jpg

The rails are further apart than standard and a slightly different view suggests we are in Ireland.

598.jpg.9801612a7ae43f5ee71ce6427f83fb7b.jpg

Turning around, one can see the original site of the station.

599.jpg.c08652f81aaf2e2e96e42b85d8063b5c.jpg

It is Fenit, in Kerry.

Graham

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1